Electronic choke thermostat?

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am tired of the hard cold starts on my 66 300 with a carter AFB. Basically the factory choke thermostat has never worked. I can't seem to find an electronic replacement. I really don't want to pay $150-200 for another factory choke thermostat. Anyone find something that works for them?
IMG_20160805_134638371.jpg
IMG_20160805_134613793.jpg

Are you sure the choke is properly adjusted on your carb? I do not have issues with cold start on mine and I have the intake crossovers blocked. I do have to prime the carb before starting if the car has sat more than a few days to make sure there is fuel in the carb bowls. Other than that, it fires right up and holds fast idle for warm up. Have you tested your choke pull off to make sure it is holding vacuum? I would start by adjusting the choke on the carb per the factory manual; step by step. It also looks like someone bent the heck out of your choke rod; mine isn't that straight and we basically have the same setup.

The choke pull-off is new and is functioning the original one wasn't. I can't get the choke thermostat to completely open up the carb, so it would always run partially choked and the 4 barrel would never open up. I hate to think how many times I've pulled the carb to adjust the thermostat never could get it right. Basically it is bypassed right now so the carb is never choked, so a cold start is terrible.

Scott when you get a chance could you post a picture of the choke rod. Maybe that's part of my problem.

The choke pull off might not be adjusted right.

Also, there is an adjustment on the choke itself. If you think it's on too long, set it leaner.

There's also some good info on setting up the choke in the FSM.

Yeah that rod looks to straight. I will look thought my carburetor stuff and see if I can find the one that came off my car before my carburetor change.

Another question what is your intake? Is it stock or an aftermarket? The runners look way too long for a stock 66 440 intake.

After looking at an old intake your runners look about right. Your intake if stock should be 2206000.In the close up of the adjustment you will see index makes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Edelbrock kit won't work, you don't have anywhere to mount it. Even if you could use it you still need a choke pull off.

The choke pull-off is new and is functioning the original one wasn't. I can't get the choke thermostat to completely open up the carb, so it would always run partially choked and the 4 barrel would never open up. I hate to think how many times I've pulled the carb to adjust the thermostat never could get it right. Basically it is bypassed right now so the carb is never choked, so a cold start is terrible.

I'm right there with ya, Mike. Since I installed the spacer between the manifold and the carb on my '66, the link from the choke thermostat is too short by about the thickness of the spacer. Like you, I have the choke rigged in the wide open position all the time. Not sure what I'm gonna do about this: longer link, live with it or finally bite the bullet and pick up an Eddy 1406 with the electric choke. BTW, since installing the spacer, all the stalling and hard starting problems - when hot - went away.

If you really want to use an electric choke, why don't you change the intake manifold to a 73, and use the factory choke and resistor.

Wish me luck I am going to try and make an electric choke, work for my AFB. I bought another used divorce choke that doesn't work either.

I bought my carb rebuild kit, over 4 years ago, from Mike's Carburetor out of Washington. I noticed that he had a supplier that provided many electric chokes for different carbs, but none for my AFB model.

I got a very helpful and knowledgeable Gabrielle on the phone, I told her my situation and mentioned that I could fabricate some kind of bracket, if I just had the components to make it work. I gave her my carb model and she said she would call the supplier and get back with me in the afternoon.

I really wasn't really expecting a positive outcome, especially with my situation being translated second hand, but she came through for me and this might actually work. The key to this is there is a heat sensor to replace the divorce choke, I had not come across this in any other electric choke. There is also a nice long choke rod that I am hoping I can manipulate and shorten in a way to make it work.

I won't have if for a week, but I will pass on my progress.

Electric choke.jpg

I'm right there with ya, Mike. Since I installed the spacer between the manifold and the carb on my '66, the link from the choke thermostat is too short by about the thickness of the spacer.

Rip I figure I could now use the extra space for my project. Where did you buy your spacer? There was a guy at NATs selling them last summer, I should have bought one then. I bought one that didn't fit a couple of years ago.

Back