Ellie

Will, I'm so sorry for your loss, I feel like I know you both just from your post's here. I was looking forward to meeting you both at a show someday. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

no words..my condolences...l always see a loss as them scoutin ahead for me...stay strong

This is just devastating. I am very sorry this happened. I never met anyone on here but one thing I learned is behind every Good man is a Good Women. The men on here have always seemed to really cherish and respect thier Wives. That is something i always admired.

My you find comfort in knowing she lived a full and worthy life, my condolences to all your family.

Very sorry to hear the news.

We had a simple service followed by a remembrance/life celebration for Ellie Thursday. She is to be creamated, as will I, and will be back home with me next week.

Here is a nice summery of Ellie by the director where she retired from.

Funny how the mind works. The trivial things we remember and the important things that we just can't recall. That's the way I felt last Sunday when my phone rang. It was Michelle, barely able to say the words, "There has been a wreck, and Ellen has died." ... For those of you who did not have the pleasure of knowing her, let me try to describe Ellen Shelnutt. She was born December 12, 1948. She grew up an only child in East Lake, and graduated from Woodlawn High School and Birmingham Southern College, then earned her Masters degree in counseling from the University of Alabama. She joined the Children's Center as our Therapist on September 4, 1998 an
97b5b684-d02c-4b8b-8180-2ead81389673.jpg
d for eighteen years she counseled children and adults who had been the victims of physical and sexual abuse. Ellen retired December 31, 2016. She loved her children and grandchildren, her dear friend Sue, and a tall, skinny Yankee named Will. Since her retirement, she and Will traveled the country in a restored station wagon, pulling a little restored camper, making wonderful friends and memories along the way... In the week since her death, we have been flooded with emails and facebook posts and phone calls from people whose lives have been touched by Ellen. Almost all of them described her as "sweet" and "one of a kind." One wrote, "I am about to graduate this week. I will never forget the impact that she had on me during my teen years." Another wrote, "Ellen gave me courage and so much love when I didn't have any." One woman shared, "It is Ellen's voice that echoes in my head when I remind myself, 'This was not your fault.'" And a local attorney and former judge wrote, "She was a light in the darkness for so many children. She put the needs of others first and made a difference in people's lives. We will miss her." ... When I got that call from Michelle, my mind carried me back to a day when Ellen arrived at work in tears. Between sobs, she explained that she had just hit a cat with her car. Ellen was heartbroken because she was afraid the cat might be somewhere suffering without help. She had a client waiting, so I told her to take care of her client and I assured her that I would see about the cat. I found the cat beside the road, fully deceased, took him to a shady hillside and gave him a proper burial. When I reported back to Ellen, she cried tears of relief. For several days after, she thanked me over and over - for burying a cat. Go figure... Ellen had a big heart - especially for the weak, the vulnerable, the marginalized. But Ellen's compassion was not merely sentiment. No, she was a woman of action. Speaking at her funeral, District Attorney Pamela Casey called Ellen a "warrior for children." She certainly was... Ellen was a scholar, a published poet, a gifted singer and musician, a determined advocate, a compassionate healer, a loyal friend. She will be sorely missed... Rest in peace, dear lady. Your work is over. Well done.
10d5a9b8-b091-4811-9d5a-2ffa2175c309.jpg

8affc82f-064c-4a03-bae7-9a7a9df4b923.jpg

8affc82f-064c-4a03-bae7-9a7a9df4b923.jpg

Thank you for sharing that. Truly a blessed soul and you for having known her best. Please take the time you need to heal and keep yourself well always.

I have no idea how I missed this thread. If it weren't for the sticky I might never had noticed. My condolences to you for your terrible loss.

Will, my deepest condolences to you and your family.. I'll be keeping you in my prayers. I'm So glad that I got to meet you both at Carlisle the past couple of years. You truly complemented each other. The one thing I'll always remember about Ellie was that she was always smiling and you truly made her happy. Stay strong my brother... John

I've been away for a while... Had to sign in to tell you how sorry I'm for your lose, Will.

Take care of yourself, you hear me?

And thanks for sharing that beautiful story of Ellie.

Will

I've sat down several times now to put together a note of condolence and as others have discovered, the words seem so much less than adequate.

It was my good fortune to meet you in person at Carlisle last year. I knew before we had finished shaking hands that I had met a good man.

I never had the honor of meeting Ellie but the tribute you shared described who I imagined her to be based on things you've said on here in the past. The screen seemed to brighten a bit whenever you mentioned her. That and the fact she was willing to drive from Alabama to Carlisle PA in second gear with you, speaks volumes.

I don't think I am alone here when I say we all share your loss.

Please accept my condolences.

Kevin

Back