Elwood - 1968 Fury II 4 door sedan

Door panel back on with associated hardware:

IMG_8750.jpeg

I got the passenger side rear brake put together.
I need to get a parking brake cable that goes inside the drum, as the one for that wheel broke upon reinstalling. I used one from the passenger side front, as they are the same.

I also need to get the drums resurfaced. The drums don’t look too bad, but I want to have them run on the brake lathe.

IMG_8768.jpeg
IMG_8769.jpeg

I had all 4 drums turned and picked up a set of the automatic brake adjustment cables. Put the passenger side rear together, adjusted the brake to just rubbing and mounted the wheel with an AMC center cap, with the decal removed.

I also ordered the front hub inner seal and I should have that tomorrow.

IMG_8784.jpeg

I got the passenger side front wheel cylinder installed and the flex hose that I got as part of a complete brake line set.
I had to loosen the brake backing plate bolts (4 of them - 2 of them had cotter keys and were very tight) to remove the wheel cylinder. Anyhow, it’s ready for reassembly.

IMG_8825.jpeg
IMG_8826.jpeg

I pulled out the driveshaft, and the rear transmission seal. Dropped the driveshaft off to get new ujoints and balanced, picked up a new rear transmission seal and installed a new front passenger side shock. I used zip ties to keep the shock compressed, so I could install it. It made installation of the shock a piece of cake!

I also received a new to me set of side marker light assemblies and the masticated rubber splash shields.

IMG_8842.jpeg
IMG_8840.jpeg

I got the passenger side front brakes assembled.
I also installed the transmission tail shaft seal, after making a driver out of PCV pipe. Worked great. I also finished up the idler arm.

I will replace the shoes and drums with new ones, after I get the car on the road.

IMG_8898.jpeg
IMG_8899.jpeg
IMG_8900.jpeg
IMG_8901.jpeg
IMG_8905.jpeg

Today, I received the corrected cat whiskers for the outside rear doors from @QQE . They fit perfectly. I also received the harness straps for the drivers side inner fender liner.

IMG_8946.jpeg

After a New Year’s holiday (and the recovery), I pulled the radiator and dropped it off at a radiator shop in Yankton, SD. I forgot to even take a picture of the radiator. Doh!

Upon removing the transmission cooler lines, I twisted the passenger side line (the driver’s side had a couple of unions in it and was leaking), and ordered a set of stainless steel lines from inline tube.
I also picked up the upper and lower radiator hoses (gates #20594 and 20386). The new lower hose doesn’t have the spring inside it, and the one in the hose I removed looks good, so I will remove it, clean it up with some vinegar and install it in the new lower hose.

Both the upper and lower hoses had the stock spring clamps on them, which in my mind, supports t

ordered a set of stainless steel lines from inline tube.
My experience with stainless steel lines is they do leak at the fittings.
Stainless is a very hard metal and had seen others round off the fittings from tightening the **** out of them and still leak. Plumber tape no help either.
Mild steel or ni-cad have enough crush factor to seal properly at the fittings.
I just hope your new lines dont give you trouble.

Did a lot of teardown today. Pulled the thermostat and cleaned it up, pulled the 2 inner fender liners and battery tray.

Snapped off 4 or 5 bolts of the fender liner and I’ll have to get some replacements, along with a battery tray and hold down clamp.

I also have a little patch work to do on the fender liner.

Does anyone have a source for the bolts and battery tray?

Removing the fender liners was necessary, I believe to get the brake line to the rear secured properly.

Having the fender liners out will also make getting the brakes all done on the front driver’s side easier.

IMG_9080.jpeg
IMG_9079.jpeg
IMG_9082.jpeg
IMG_9085.jpeg
IMG_9084.jpeg
IMG_9083.jpeg
IMG_9081.jpeg

I ordered this battery tray:

Battery Tray Kit Fit 65-67 68 69 Polara Newport New Yorker Monaco Fury 300 Mopar | eBay

Still looking for fender liner bolts.
Auveco has the fender bolts and the speed nuts.
Most parts jobbers that sell to collision/ body shops carry Auveco hardware.
https://onlinecatalog.auveco.com/Auveco-Catalog/27/
I have several boxes of fender bolts leftover ftom doing the same thing you are doing.
should you have no luck getting them locally, PM me.
Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20240105_024756_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_025613_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240105_030023_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back