Engine cutting out...

monaco75

Reaction score
Last week pulling out of work, the engine cut out on me. Took a minute to get it started back up, but did after a few cranks. Didn't think much of it.. "maybe just flooded out??"

Havn't really expeirenced it again the rest of the week (been daily driving the car). Today, again pulling out of work the car died at the stop light. Was a PAIN to get started again. Had a couple good samaritans help push her out of the way. Popped the hood, made sure all the wires were connected, and tight (they were) then she started back up again. Anyone know what might be happening?

Doing nothing out of the ordinary. Set the choke, starts right up. Let it run with the choke on while pulling out of the parking lot, then hit the gas, chokes off. Once at a stop, idles fine, then seems to just die.... Don't smell any gas under the hood.

Was reading rexus31's thread here-
http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?7853-Strange-Thing-Happened-Today

Could it be my fuseable link? Stan? Mr. C?? Bueller? Bueller? :dontknow: lol
'75 monaco 360 2brl

Did you check the carb to see if you had fuel?

Honestly, no. Was one of those frantic car dies, "start..... C'mon start you basterd!.... Crap, get out and push". Stopping all kinds of traffic in front of a light deals. Just creating a big scene...

Got the car in the turn lane. She acted like she flooded out, but didn't get a heavy gas smell under the hood. I bumped the key standing outside of the car, and she fired right up. Just wanted to get outa there with my tail between my legs.

I called Mike (newp), and I think he got it figured out for me. Seems like the choke. Gotta tinker with it, after shes sat for a while... Got thursday off, hopefully no more trouble till then.

Honestly, no. Was one of those frantic car dies, "start..... C'mon start you basterd!.... Crap, get out and push". Stopping all kinds of traffic in front of a light deals. Just creating a big scene...

Got the car in the turn lane. She acted like she flooded out, but didn't get a heavy gas smell under the hood. I bumped the key standing outside of the car, and she fired right up. Just wanted to get outa there with my tail between my legs.

I called Mike (newp), and I think he got it figured out for me. Seems like the choke. Gotta tinker with it, after shes sat for a while... Got thursday off, hopefully no more trouble till then.

Do you have a spare ignition coil? I would keep it in the car with the appropriate wrenches.

Could it be my fuseable link? Stan? Mr. C?? Bueller? Bueller? :dontknow: lol
'75 monaco 360 2brl
Fusible Links in Formals never seem to have been a problem from what I have seen. It's always the connector that sits right on top of the driver's side fender well near the battery. Once bought a NYB for a few hundred bucks because the kid didn't know to wiggle that.

I keep the original (was still working) coil, and E.C.U. in the trunk, after switching out to an orange box years ago, just incase... Ofcoarse don't have any tools to switch me out back there.... :icon_rolleyes:

Its deff fuel related. She did it again to me today. Luckily I was waiting for it, before I left the parking lot. Shes flooding out when the choke first comes off, and at a stop.. Hell, I didnt even come to a full stop yet today, before she quit out. A royal PITA to get started again, but once started, she was running fine, and no more troubles....

Interesting, cold fueling issues. Most of these cars seem to have trouble with hot fuel. Did you say that Mike (Newp) has a solution?

Yea, were thinking the choke door is getting stuck/not working properly, and making to much of a rich mixture in the carb. Thursday I'll have a look at her. Tried to today, but just not enough daylight for the car to cool down, and be able to check..

I've had this happen in the past when not warming the car up and taking off without being kicked down from high idle. Car starts/ runs runs great on high idle circuit as it should, sitting at a stop sign or something, give it gas and I'd hear a cough or "pop" and the car dies. Definitely loading up with gas on high idle then suddenly kicks down and its now in a flooded condition. Solution I found is warm it up in the driveway until it you get the kick down, never a problem after that. Since I only drive mine in warm weather I start the car, pull in out of the garage, leave it running, go back to shut the garage/ lock it up and by the time I'm back to the car it's time to kick it down and I'm good to go.

Yea, Idk Mr c... For years ive always started it up, and been able to put it in gear, and go with the high idle on.

This is how I do it also every morning, when leaving for work. Never have any troubles then either. Just in the warm afternoon lately. I let the car warm up yesterday in high idle for a few before taking off. Still stalled out. Ill try a different approach today.

Back