Engine Removal Questions

I will be keeping my block. I can put money into it. Mainly, I thought the Same and J engine would get me on the road in the interim. At present, I have no car. I sold my work van to pay for an engine. Having to get my wife to haul me around.

I will be keeping my block. I can put money into it. Mainly, I thought the Same and J engine would get me on the road in the interim. At present, I have no car. I sold my work van to pay for an engine. Having to get my wife to haul me around.
Gotta keep the daily driver. I was able to buy used engines at fair prices back not too long ago, now everyone wants close to or over a thousand bucks for a 440, and I think that's insane, considering most of them are already disassembled or need to be. So I'm glad I have a half dozen blocks laying around for rebuild. Keep your nose to the grindstone and search CL and whatever other sites you can, and have the money ready. Or go with a good name, like CME and get a quality product, as it was said, you get what you pay for. I half-*** rebuilt a 440 I had that got me through the year, but it gave up the ghost and broke a rod on the half I didn't touch. So 440 number two went in. The first time can suck, finding out things you didn't know or think needed to come off. The second time around, it's a lot easier. After that, you can do it in your sleep. I literally have the exploded view of the front of my car permanently etched into my brain, I've done it that many times.

Ok, have a plan now. Ordered reman engine. 2 weeks out for build. I am keeping my core just in case they send me a lemon. Core goes to machine shop for cylinder and head work. I am comfortable changing bearings and seals. FSM in paper form on the way. That should help.

Called a friend who does paint and body. He has experience in engine replacement, has a lift with leveler and other things. He says I can bring the Fury there and we can do the swap. I offered him $1K but he says no money. I have done gratis electrical work for him before, so that is nice of him to help out. He has asked me to hit the exhaust manifold fasteners with PB Blaster every evening until I take the car to his shop. I'm going to order exhaust stud kit and new motor mounts.

I am freaking excited now that I have an engine in the pipeline. Also, ordered new arm rests from Murray Park today.

Ok, have a plan now. Ordered reman engine. 2 weeks out for build. I am keeping my core just in case they send me a lemon. Core goes to machine shop for cylinder and head work. I am comfortable changing bearings and seals. FSM in paper form on the way. That should help.

Called a friend who does paint and body. He has experience in engine replacement, has a lift with leveler and other things. He says I can bring the Fury there and we can do the swap. I offered him $1K but he says no money. I have done gratis electrical work for him before, so that is nice of him to help out. He has asked me to hit the exhaust manifold fasteners with PB Blaster every evening until I take the car to his shop. I'm going to order exhaust stud kit and new motor mounts.

I am freaking excited now that I have an engine in the pipeline. Also, ordered new arm rests from Murray Park today.

Where are you going to get exhaust manifold fasteners from?

Speaking of manifolds a ND hardware, I am trying to find some spark plug wire shields for my ‘68 383. Anyone have any pictures of how many pieces there should be and how many? Searches seem to only turn up a piece at a time.
Thanks

Speaking of manifolds a ND hardware, I am trying to find some spark plug wire shields for my ‘68 383. Anyone have any pictures of how many pieces there should be and how many? Searches seem to only turn up a piece at a time.
Thanks
One per side-total of two.
each one shields the last two plugs each side ) #5 and 7, left #6 and 8 right side.
They are bolted down with the cylinder head bolts before the manifolds go on..
DSC01764.JPG

DSC01770.JPG

_12__41429.1440100240.1280.1280.jpg

Mopar 1967-69 HP Big Block Plug Wire Shield

I was just looking at the parts book and I see there is a right and left.
1821394 & 2843891.

Thanks for the pictures above. I lost mine in high school. Probably when I did the heads in shop class back in ‘86.

Oh boy, with all this information I find no mention of proper safety shop wear.
After watching a CoParts Auction horrendous HellCat crash rebuild on YouTube don't be a jackass like this.

race.night.at.bowman.gray.s01e03.webrip.x264-tbs_00_04_33_01.jpg

WEAR PROPER FOOTWEAR!

Not sneakers, not trendy hikers wannabe work boots but real workboots with real cowhide leather, steel toed if you prefer. I couldn't believe watching these kids with the trendy NYC tasseled hoodies, shorts, sneakers tearing the front end off this HellCat using grinder cutoff wheels with sparks flying. And what is it with using a grinder to do all cutting? Seen it on all shows, no skill with a torch? Insurance don't like a open flame anymore? I don't get it, someone takes 15/20 minutes with a grinder cutoff wheel that would take 2 minutes with a cutting torch. :realcrazy:

It wasn't until the 8th post that I learned of your trade and experience so the footwear advice maybe moot but I doubt it as it seems all you can get now are junk/trendy/ ahem HiTech footwear out of China. Even Redwing has gone crap, but there are others, (trade secret).

I must be a odd duck as I take it this all involves a 68 Sport Fury right? I've done all this by myself, but I have never been of short stature YMMV. Hood removal can be done single handily, just make sure you have the reach to grab both sides, AND WEAR GLOVES!
And not these wimpy hitech gloves but good ole cheap cowhide construction gloves the kind you would use with a sledge hammer as the rolled joined edge of the hood can pinch cut your fingers. And it that happens you may drop the hood but that's where the steel toed boots come in get it? LOL And don't bother scribing the hinge location on the hood as every scratch you make through the paint is a invitation for rust to start, use a magic marker or some pinchweld primer.
I R&R my 1st 68PK21 hood all by myself when I was 17 to install the Cold Air system off a SuperBee. It's not that hard.

As far as pulling the engine and tranny together, how much do you value that vintage paint on your firewall & radiator support? I've done it that way once, never again, I've helped stubborn friends (GM) do it too with a big "I told you so" at the end. Small block 4 speeds, yea OK but a Big Block with a auto transmission, more hassle than it's worth, separate them. Every time things would get banged & bumped.

Don't bother with cheap Harbor Freight or Rent-A-Center engine lifts or stands.
I've used Rent-A-Center lifts a couple of times and usually the wheels are all wonky or never been greased so when your pushing it around the littlest expansion joint or crack in the floor will want to tip it over. I went with using a chainfall to the roof rafters, have even used a come-a-long, way better than a rickety engine lift. Pull engine up, roll vehicle back, lower engine to a good stand or a homemade dolly, roll vehicle back or out of garage, simple.
And remember, Too many cooks can spoil the stew, every job I've encountered evolving something serious with a job whether it be a car, truck or heavy equipment there is always some bull moose in a hurry type that wants to give it a smack or a pry with the results of something getting broke/smashed or someone getting hurt.

Good Luck!

Back