Exact Replacement A/C Components Now Becoming Available for Our C bodies

Your willingness to help is greatly appreciated John. Do you have the various boxes identified as to the vehicles they came out of and whether with or without a/c? Thanks!
All have A/C, that's for sure.

As far as what they are out of.... They came in a pile when I bought my 300. It was a "here take this" trunk load of stuff.... So I can get part numbers off the boxes and figure it out from there. I know there's no '68 version as I looked for one. I'll get the part numbers (the yellow painted numbers) off what I can and we'll have to figure it out.

They are up in my attic over the garage and I'll have to crawl up there and look. Going up the ladder has to wait for the stars to align and things don't hurt quite as much as they do today.

All have A/C, that's for sure.

As far as what they are out of.... They came in a pile when I bought my 300. It was a "here take this" trunk load of stuff.... So I can get part numbers off the boxes and figure it out from there. I know there's no '68 version as I looked for one. I'll get the part numbers (the yellow painted numbers) off what I can and we'll have to figure it out.

They are up in my attic over the garage and I'll have to crawl up there and look. Going up the ladder has to wait for the stars to align and things don't hurt quite as much as they do today.
Send me photos and I can tell you which ones fit 69-72 Chrysler and Plymouth.

Send me photos and I can tell you which ones fit 69-72 Chrysler and Plymouth.
That would be fantastic.

It's going to warm up here by the end of the week and I'm going to play musical cars to clear up some space for winter use, so I should be able to get up there and take some pics.

Will be interesting to see if there's any difference. I've had some 66-70 b body ac/heat boxes (6 or so) at one time in the shop looking at them. Some had more metal in the casing, others more plastic but they were all the exact dimensions as far as I could tell.

You know... I have some assorted fuselage C-Body A/C heater boxes stashed away. They aren't good enough to put in a car and I was saving them just for the heater cores and evaporators. The boxes are nothing to me though... If @CoolerClassics is interested (and a little patient, can't do it today), I can figure out what I have and work out giving these to them for research and fitment. Just have to pay for the shipping...
I spent considerable time looking through all my 1969 through 1973 parts books (I have them for all the years) while waiting to go to my Christmas dinner engagement and came to some preliminary conclusions. It appears my assumptions that all fuselage vehicles would likely have the same heater cores since the housings that contain them mostly look the same are just wrong. So it appears a lot of the problem is with my/our assumptions more than the problem lying with AC Global.

From my preliminary findings, it appears the 1969 and 1970 models have the same heater cores as best I can tell (the 1969 parts book is lame and doesn't even have part numbers for some of the models, although it is an all original factory parts book, so I am having to make some assumptions there) but it appears the 1969 -70 heater cores are the same. I have also concluded that the 1971 - 1973 heater cores are all the same but there may be some caveats to applying that assumption as well. I will spend some more time to sort through everything yet hopefully this week. Then I will conctact @ CoolerClassics with my findings and work with them to sort out the issues so we get correct heater cores in the future. I am also working on getting the correct a/c evaporators as well for our cars sorted out as well.

The big "take away" for me at least is the number of changes Chrysler made for these fuselage vehicles during their production. I will focus on cars with a/c and non-Canadian or heater only cars since I am thinking there is not enough volume for those models to justify their investment but maybe I am wrong. Looking through those parts books tied my brain in knots trying to sort out all the details and was a lot harder than I thought it would be. There are manual a/c equipped cars, ones with Autotemp I and II, non a/c cars, Canadian cars and having a/c standard on some Imperials and not other Chrysler products, cars with strato vent systems and even more issues to sort through. I felt sorry for the poor bastards that had to put those parts books together in the first place and for myself that had to sort through that mess to come up with some generalizations that would be accurate so AC Global could achieve our mutual objectives. I do not blame them at all for all the problems we have had. The problem is really on our end to supply them with the details to get their applications correct for models that will have enough volume to support their business case, so stay tuned.
@saforwardlook you made me feel like I was not crazy and I want to thank you for that. Before posting on the forum I went through my fathers achieves of messages, returns and samples but could not narrow things down enough to make sense of why it would work for some but not all. My father would just make changes as samples came in thinking he might have missed something previously but they were still wrong. That's when I decided to do the research on the comments you all made. I am wondering if I should to get a few of the different boxes and see what differences there are on the evaps to see if we can modify them to fit in multiple applications without much modifications. If that is something most of you installing these would prefer.

As for the HeaterCore I thought those were finally correct as we modified those and have not had a return since 9/2021. Although I might have the applications incorrect. I am including the vpictures as well.

HC3070 I have fits: 65 66 67 68 69 70 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler A/C Dual Heater Core Coil
HC3071 I have fits: 62 63 64 65 Plymouth Dodge Fury B Body with factory air AC heater core
HC5777 I have fits: 69 70 71 72 73 Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth A/C Dual Heater Core Coil

tempImageIpcbYI.png

HC3071.jpg

HC5777.jpg

A couple comments on my part might help at this point. First, I really appreciate that you want to get things right - that goes a long way with me.

I need another day or two to sort out all the issues I have found in looking through all the parts books for the various model years but it seems at this point the heater cores for the 69 and 70 C bodies with a/c are not the same as the 71-73 C bodies with a/c. At this juncture though, I do not yet know myself how they are different. I do have a complete heater/ac box out of my 1970 Chrysler 300 that is currently in the body/paint shop (I sent them a rolling shell to work on and took the interior out for example including the heater/ac box). I have another 1971 Chrysler 300 that I am going to also take to my body/paint shop and am near to getting that one ready to also strip to a rolling shell. So I will have its heater/ac core assembly out too in another month or so. Then I can look at them both closely to determine what the differences really are. Also, @Big_John might already have each of those model year boxes available in the stash he has too. When I am at this point, I can also compare the evaporators too.

Also, the cars on this site are all focused on C bodies, and not on B bodies - there is another site "For B Bodies Only". So the HC 3071 would not apply to our cars at all.

Also, the HC 3070 does not apply to any 1969 and up C bodies but may be correct for the 1965 -1968 C bodies, but since I don't have any of those I can't comment on C bodies before the 1969 model year.

Therefore, at this point the only heater core shown above that would apply to the fuselage C bodies (from 1969-1973) would be the HC5777 core. However, there seems to be some difference between the 1969-1970 fuselage C bodies and the 1971 - 1973 C bodies. Therefore, we need to know how this HC5077 core differs between 1969-1970 models and the 1971-1973 models. Like @furious70 said, the differences might well be small but significant enough to be a problem for one of those two groups for the heater core/evaporator to properly fit in the fiberglass housings they reside in. For example, @david hill experienced with @ayilar's 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible, some significant problems getting the heater core to fit properly when he was changing out the heater core in that box for a new one. We definitely need to get to the bottom of the 1969-1970 models and the 1971-73 models. I do know that one of our members Tim @sixpkrt did finally get a correct heater core for his 1971 Chrysler New Yorker after sending the first sample you provided to him back to you and you modified it correctly to finally fit. It might well be that your last return was from Tim back in September of 2021 but I am not sure and it may well be that no one knows at this time what was done to make it fit (maybe Tim knows)?

HC3070 does fit my 67, although the holes that are on the mounting plate are not correct. Easy to drill new holes as I did.

A couple comments on my part might help at this point. First, I really appreciate that you want to get things right - that goes a long way with me.

I need another day or two to sort out all the issues I have found in looking through all the parts books for the various model years but it seems at this point the heater cores for the 69 and 70 C bodies with a/c are not the same as the 71-73 C bodies with a/c. At this juncture though, I do not yet know myself how they are different. I do have a complete heater/ac box out of my 1970 Chrysler 300 that is currently in the body/paint shop (I sent them a rolling shell to work on and took the interior out for example including the heater/ac box). I have another 1971 Chrysler 300 that I am going to also take to my body/paint shop and am near to getting that one ready to also strip to a rolling shell. So I will have its heater/ac core assembly out too in another month or so. Then I can look at them both closely to determine what the differences really are. Also, @Big_John might already have each of those model year boxes available in the stash he has too. When I am at this point, I can also compare the evaporators too.

Also, the cars on this site are all focused on C bodies, and not on B bodies - there is another site "For B Bodies Only". So the HC 3071 would not apply to our cars at all.

Also, the HC 3070 does not apply to any 1969 and up C bodies but may be correct for the 1965 -1968 C bodies, but since I don't have any of those I can't comment on C bodies before the 1969 model year.

Therefore, at this point the only heater core shown above that would apply to the fuselage C bodies (from 1969-1973) would be the HC5777 core. However, there seems to be some difference between the 1969-1970 fuselage C bodies and the 1971 - 1973 C bodies. Therefore, we need to know how this HC5077 core differs between 1969-1970 models and the 1971-1973 models. Like @furious70 said, the differences might well be small but significant enough to be a problem for one of those two groups for the heater core/evaporator to properly fit in the fiberglass housings they reside in. For example, @david hill experienced with @ayilar's 1970 Chrysler 300 convertible, some significant problems getting the heater core to fit properly when he was changing out the heater core in that box for a new one. We definitely need to get to the bottom of the 1969-1970 models and the 1971-73 models. I do know that one of our members Tim @sixpkrt did finally get a correct heater core for his 1971 Chrysler New Yorker after sending the first sample you provided to him back to you and you modified it correctly to finally fit. It might well be that your last return was from Tim back in September of 2021 but I am not sure and it may well be that no one knows at this time what was done to make it fit (maybe Tim knows)?
Here is what I have discovered about evap. and heater core applications and fitment. For Chrysler and Plymouth the evaporator and heater cores are the same through 1972. The differences in the system functions of the temperature control is the use of vacuum control heater valve 1969-1971 and the manual cable heater implemented in 1972 and up. The evaporator and heater cores remained unchanged through 1972. Not sure about 1973, but will be doing a heater box rebuild on a 1973 Chrysler later this year. As you can see in photo 1 this is the heater core from the 70 Chrysler 300. Photo 2 shows the almost identical similarities between the 70 and the 72 heater cores. Photo 3 shows the great difference between the AC Global evap. and the OEM Chrysler unit. Photos 4 & 5 are the evaporators out of the 72 Chrysler and a 69 Plymouth Fury III. I verified that although physically different they both will fit in any 69-72 heater core box. The lack of a recessed core w/ the AC Global unit prevented installation. You will also need to notch the correctly supplied AC Global unit to clear the mounting studs in the evaporator case as seen in photo 6. Photo 7 shows why a recessed core is necessary to allow flush fitment of the heater core. You may need to grind off this rivet to allow heater core and case to flush mount as seen in photo 8. The 2 heater case photos side by side are a 70 300 heater case and a 72 Chrysler New Yorker heater case Which proves yes manual heater cases 69-72 are interchangeable. Any questions PM me.

DSC04449.JPG

DSC04445.JPG

DSC00378.JPG

DSC00563.JPG

DSC00564.JPG

DSC00482.JPG

DSC00483.JPG

DSC00405.JPG

DSC00306.JPG

DSC04413.JPG

1672233014956.jpeg

Here is what I have discovered about evap. and heater core applications and fitment. For Chrysler and Plymouth the evaporator and heater cores are the same through 1972. The differences in the system functions of the temperature control is the use of vacuum control heater valve 1969-1971 and the manual cable heater implemented in 1972 and up. The evaporator and heater cores remained unchanged through 1972. Not sure about 1973, but will be doing a heater box rebuild on a 1973 Chrysler later this year. As you can see in photo 1 this is the heater core from the 70 Chrysler 300. Photo 2 shows the almost identical similarities between the 70 and the 72 heater cores. Photo 3 shows the great difference between the AC Global evap. and the OEM Chrysler unit. Photos 4 & 5 are the evaporators out of the 72 Chrysler and a 69 Plymouth Fury III. I verified that although physically different they both will fit in any 69-72 heater core box. The lack of a recessed core w/ the AC Global unit prevented installation. You will also need to notch the correctly supplied AC Global unit to clear the mounting studs in the evaporator case as seen in photo 6. Photo 7 shows why a recessed core is necessary to allow flush fitment of the heater core. You may need to grind off this rivet to allow heater core and case to flush mount as seen in photo 8. The 2 heater case photos side by side are a 70 300 heater case and a 72 Chrysler New Yorker heater case Which proves yes manual heater cases 69-72 are interchangeable. Any questions PM me.

View attachment 573253

View attachment 573254

View attachment 573255

View attachment 573256

View attachment 573257

View attachment 573258

View attachment 573259

View attachment 573260

View attachment 573261

View attachment 573263

Just an excellent review of the differences between the various model years. Despite different part numbers throughout the years, they apparently do not make any significant differences in being able to install them in the heater/evaporator case. That is a valuable outcome that sure helps me at least. So it looks like the remaining difficulties in fitting these new units in the cases is the lack of proper spacing in the evaporators more than anything and some rivet grinding to get them to fit. That is a lot of good news and gives AC Global the information needed to fix the remaining issue. Great work David!!

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. This is all very useful for me and I hope this will all make it easier for all future installs. I am going to attempt to get another heater box to make sure we have the perfect fit. So if anyone is willing to be a donor I will be willing to charge just the cost of material. Just pm me. Also is it possible there are different heater box sizes and that might be why some issues are occurring?

Thank you all for your help. This is all very useful for me and I hope this will all make it easier for all future installs. I am going to attempt to get another heater box to make sure we have the perfect fit. So if anyone is willing to be a donor I will be willing to charge just the cost of material. Just pm me. Also is it possible there are different heater box sizes and that might be why some issues are occurring?
I got up into my attic today and looked at the boxes I have. I need to figure out exactly what I have, I took some pictures and wrote down some numbers. Two are 1970ish C body boxes with A/C.

We can work this out if you want one (or more) of these boxes... Cover the shipping and remember me if I need something.

My pictures really didn't work out.... Too dark and couldn't get good angles. If I can tomorrow, I'll bring these down and photograph them correctly.

That is a very good question regarding whether the heater boxes themselves vary. Section 1-48-125 in the various years parts books were worthless in trying to answer this question, as there are obvious missing numbers for some models such as Imperial in the 1972 parts book for example - there is no available part number for that model in 1972 at all???. Given this reality, it will take some time to fully sort this out but when someone orders a heater core or a/c evaporator, it would probably be a good idea to tabulate which ones might give trouble. That means when someone orders a C body heater core or evaporator, it would be important to determine each order details - C body Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler or Imperial and the model year plus whether the car has a/c or not and for 1972 and later whether the car had strato vent or not (was it possible to have both strato vent and a/c. for example)?

I believe however, it would be a reasonable guess that since @david hill has compared a 1970 Chrysler with a 1972 Chrysler, that if those were the same heater boxes essentially, then at least all the models from 1969 - 1973 likely have the same heater boxes dimensionally where it counts for the issue of heater core and evaporator fitment. Generally, 1969 - 1970 C bodies have the same instrument panels and heater boxes and the 1971 - 1973 C bodies have their own instrument panels and heater boxes but the heater/ac boxes might well be very much alike across all models/years from 1969 - 1973.

Last edited:
And like I said fwiw, looking at 6 B body boxes there were materials differences but dimensions look the same. Removed from 66-70's

I got up into my attic today and looked at the boxes I have. I need to figure out exactly what I have, I took some pictures and wrote down some numbers. Two are 1970ish C body boxes with A/C.

We can work this out if you want one (or more) of these boxes... Cover the shipping and remember me if I need something.

My pictures really didn't work out.... Too dark and couldn't get good angles. If I can tomorrow, I'll bring these down and photograph them correctly.
You guys have all been greater help than I expected. It took me a while to gain the courage to put myself out there and admitting I could not figure this out on my own. These mopar condenser, evaps and heatercores from 60-72 have all been a pain.

You guys have all been greater help than I expected. It took me a while to gain the courage to put myself out there and admitting I could not figure this out on my own. These mopar condenser, evaps and heatercores from 60-72 have all been a pain.
Here we go... I had 2 A/C heater boxes and I'll post them one at a time. The first has a part number for 1969/70/71 per the parts books.

@david hill Can you verify this?

sGtXDgY.jpg

E6gyvqS.jpg

uGy5VHO.jpg

GV9PxHV.jpg

And just for laughs, I took a pic from where they were stored. My 300 is on the lift with my Barracuda underneath.

AAUh03U.jpg

The second one is a little mystery to me. Perhaps @david hill can identify it. The part number is a little smudged so I'm not sure what it is.

For you guys that don't live where there is real winter, the red thing behind it is my snow blower. LOL

iN8qitP.jpg

uweEPpz.jpg

Hts0dAf.jpg

ZhFq8bu.jpg

NAMeeRI.jpg

The second one is a little mystery to me. Perhaps @david hill can identify it. The part number is a little smudged so I'm not sure what it is.

For you guys that don't live where there is real winter, the red thing behind it is my snow blower. LOL

View attachment 573758
View attachment 573759
View attachment 573760
View attachment 573761
View attachment 573762

I had some time this morning and did a search of my parts book and found the number, which I believe is 3441554 since there apparently isn't a number that is 3441551. That is an assembly number (not the housing itself) that fits a 1971 C body PDCY without autotemp. So with that maybe you could discern any differences if any. Thanks for the effort @Big_John !

Back