Exact starter switch

These are the same type shown above and what we do not use anymore for these type of connections.
40012.jpg

You found the actual terminal that is in the ignition switch connector? There are many that look like them but they aren't the same.
One two of the female sockets on the old ignition switch assy appear to have heated up a bit. They look disconfigured slightly as if they were melted....it is slight but noticeable. I'll have to look at the wire color again I'm not sure which socket represents what off the top of my head. Damn all I need are those little pieces and I can put this to bed.

For the love of god don't solder unless you are very proficient with doing it. It will actually create more problems then it will solve. Introducing too much heat to the wire will create resistance and also cause a brittle spot in the wire and that is where it will catch up to you down the road and break. Non insulated but connectors and heat shrink will be a lot nicer than the normal butt connectors and you will not introduce heat to they system.

Good points, and people debate solder v. crimp all the time in the automotive world.

Crimping wires has its place as does soldering. At a terminal where there is no flex, the crimp is the better bet. Aircraft manufacturers use crimps on their wire terminations. In a splice, especially in an are that's not easily accessible (steering column) and a critical circuit.... I can't see why you would use a cheap butt connector. Maybe an non insulated butt connector and some shrink wrap.... I'd still solder though.

Then again... My Dad taught me to solder at age ten... and he worked for Western Electric early in his career wiring telephone switch boards and later designing and building machine controls. I forget that some people can't use a soldering iron. LOL.

But... If my ex-wife could get certified to do Mil-Spec soldering for GE, I figure others can learn too.

If you want to see how NASA addresses it, check out section 19.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf

There's a little on the Western Union (or Lineman's) splice in there too.

Good points, and people debate solder v. crimp all the time in the automotive world.

Crimping wires has its place as does soldering. At a terminal where there is no flex, the crimp is the better bet. Aircraft manufacturers use crimps on their wire terminations. In a splice, especially in an are that's not easily accessible (steering column) and a critical circuit.... I can't see why you would use a cheap butt connector. Maybe an non insulated butt connector and some shrink wrap.... I'd still solder though.

Then again... My Dad taught me to solder at age ten... and he worked for Western Electric early in his career wiring telephone switch boards and later designing and building machine controls. I forget that some people can't use a soldering iron. LOL.

But... If my ex-wife could get certified to do Mil-Spec soldering for GE, I figure others can learn too.

If you want to see how NASA addresses it, check out section 19.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf

There's a little on the Western Union (or Lineman's) splice in there too.
many thanks Big John....very informative....I hope to keep the under dash wire splices to a maximum of none!

The ignition switch is in nicely, but due to moving it around to mate properly I've discovered the wiring coming out of the OEM male connector is frayed in some places and the insulation has begun to deteriorate over the decades so that parts of the conductors are showing thru....potential problem. I jiggled it slightly while parked in the garage and the motor cut off immediately....the blue wire is frayed in such a way that if its moved it breaks continuity.

So I figure the best thing to do is cut out the old plastic connector, stip the existing wires, crimp on new molex male pins and put them into a new 8 pin male connector...and snap the whole rig back together again. The wires are not brittle, but they are definitely stiffened, plus there's not much extra to strip away for a new connector. Any better ideas?

EXAMPLE.jpg

Nope. All new male and female plug and receptor with all the wires freshly pinned is exactly what I would have done. So what if it's not OEM. You have a Champion radiator... ;-)

Don't forget the tie-wraps.

Nope. All new male and female plug and receptor with all the wires freshly pinned is exactly what I would have done. So what if it's not OEM. You have a Champion radiator... ;-)

Don't forget the tie-wraps.

Yup. If the fix can be OEM it will be nice but I won't loose sleep if its not.

If you aren't fussy about originality, look into replacing the connector with a Delphi Weatherpack connectors. Two 4 pin connectors like these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PER-047-12-...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item35bc7d7845&vxp=mtr

I'd mount one reversed from the other so you can't mix them up if you unplug them in the future.
Yeh, that's a nice set up. Thanks for the find. I wonder if anyone else has had to do this with the wiring in their Chrysler? It is going to be rather tedious plus there is no excess lead in the wire itself as it all comes out of the trunk....no room for mistakes.

I wonder if anyone else has had to do this with the wiring in their Chrysler? It is going to be rather tedious plus there is no excess lead in the wire itself as it all comes out of the trunk....no room for mistakes.
I've been making my own replacement wiring harnesses forever. I get wire in all the colors in 16, 14, and 12 GA and pin them in the Molex Connectors. In fact, BitterSweet has been undergoing radical reconstruction surgery under the dash.
What a butcher job under there. Kwityerbitchin. :D

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I've been making my own replacement wiring harnesses forever. I get wire in all the colors in 16, 14, and 12 GA and pin them in the Molex Connectors. In fact, BitterSweet has been undergoing radical reconstruction surgery under the dash.
What a butcher job under there. Kwityerbitchin. :D

Posted via Topify on Android
im not whining in as much as just questioning my own abilities. Messing with old wiring that hasn't been touched since the days of Jimi Hendrix makes me want to get religion-fast. It's old, there's not much slack in it, and doesn't want to bend much after 4 decades. Yikes. Im not even trying to replace the entire harness. Could dry dock the Newport indefinitely.

Back