Exact starter switch

70NPORT

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Question: Where to score an exact fit steering column starter switch for 69-73 Chryslers?

THIS Rock Auto pos I received is not an exact fit/replica of the OEM switch. They claim it is. It has eight holes/slots but only 4 pins. The original piece has 8 slots and 8 pins...1 pin in ea slot.

Had better luck with other vendor?

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3045.jpg

IMG_3046.jpg

The two steering columns (68' vs. 70') are very different, also I looked up the 68' switch and it appears to be totally different from the 70', but thanks much nonetheless.

So... do the connectors fit together? How many wires go to the steering column plug and how many come from the ignition switch?

Do the wires line up?

If the switch is the same as the original and it's just a matter of switching connectors or wires, then that's going to be easy.

So... do the connectors fit together? How many wires go to the steering column plug and how many come from the ignition switch?

Do the wires line up?

If the switch is the same as the original and it's just a matter of switching connectors or wires, then that's going to be easy.
No, if you can tell by the first picture the RA piece is missing 4 connectors, and if that is not confusing enough, the wire colors don't match.

How many wires are coming from the old switch and how many wires from the new switch?

We may just have to figure out the proper goesintas and goesoutas and put them into the old connector.

You can buy the connectors separately.

Like these for example from my VW..
2014-03-23 13.53.23.jpg

the missing wires are probably for features that are not included!?

You can remove the connectors with cables from the old piece. It's a pain in the *** to remove these connectors but that would be the easiest way, I guess?!

2014-03-23 13.53.23.jpg

...........the last two pics are the RA switch configuration vs. the original, different colors, missing connectors......and only 6 wires, original has 8. (no.2 pic is turn signal switch Stan, just got it hanging for now).

IMG_3055.jpg

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

You can buy the connectors separately.

Like these for example from my VW..
View attachment 27069

the missing wires are probably for features that are not included!?

You can remove the connectors with cables from the old piece. It's a pain in the *** to remove these connectors but that would be the easiest way, I guess?!
I probably should of pulled the original wires out first before buying the "exact" friken replacement piece from RA. I would rather replace the entire item then to be forced to have to hack/hash/cobble up a new one to fit.

The two red w/ white tracer wires are for the buzzer switch. The buzzer switch isn't part of the ignition switch, but it plugs into the same harness.

If you have 6 wires going to the back of both switches, then we're almost there.

Look at the back of the new switch and the old switch. Make yourself a sketch of the color wires that are in the positions or "clocked" on the old switch vs. the new switch.

From there it's a matter of switching wires at the connectors. Leave the 2 red w/white trace wires as they are in the old connector and switch the new wires to the old connector one at a time.

As was posted, you can get the tools to unclip the connectors.

I probably should of pulled the original wires out first before buying the "exact" friken replacement piece from RA. I would rather replace the entire item then to be forced to have to hack/hash/cobble up a new one to fit.

Really... if this is the right switch and it's just a matter of switching connectors... You aren't hacking anything...

It's nice when stuff just fits.... but hey... these are old cars and the new parts aren't always exactly the same.

Be patient. If this was easy... everyone would have an old car.

Back