Exhaust manifold - nuts keep loosening.

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Any ideas how to better secure the nuts on my 383 exhaust manifold? The passenger side one started leaking recently. I have seen special bolts (12-point?) with retainers, usually for small-block Chevy, but it would be hard and risky to try removing the exiting studs in my head. I am thinking a tab under each nut that you bend to secure the nut or stainless lock wire.

I have had this problem about every 30,000 miles since I owned the car, usually the passenger side. When I last installed the manifold on rebuilt heads 10 years ago, I used lock washers (standard cut ring type), but no luck. As soon as I heard puffing, I tightened a few loose nuts, but the gasket was already damaged. The noise isn't bad, so time to ponder an ideal fix. Anything off the shelf or any "roll-your-own" solutions.

Early 70's to late 80's Ford SB's used a special locking washer and bolt design. Ford still offers these exhaust manifold bolts new. These will work.

Thanks commando1. Maybe next time the heads are off, I'll switch from studs to bolts.

Today I found that one nut on the exhaust manifold is missing, probably from jerking the exhaust around when I replaced the muffler a few months ago. So the puffing probably wasn't from the manifold-head gasket, even though a few nuts were loose. I'll find out when I drive tomorrow.

Any ideas how to better secure the nuts on my 383 exhaust manifold? The passenger side one started leaking recently. I have seen special bolts (12-point?) with retainers, usually for small-block Chevy, but it would be hard and risky to try removing the exiting studs in my head. I am thinking a tab under each nut that you bend to secure the nut or stainless lock wire.

I have had this problem about every 30,000 miles since I owned the car, usually the passenger side. When I last installed the manifold on rebuilt heads 10 years ago, I used lock washers (standard cut ring type), but no luck. As soon as I heard puffing, I tightened a few loose nuts, but the gasket was already damaged. The noise isn't bad, so time to ponder an ideal fix. Anything off the shelf or any "roll-your-own" solutions.
tighten them up every ten thousand. problem solved.

Back