Exner

Santa I NEED that.

WAIT.........! You don't like the excess styling of the forward look cars, but you like this Toro...... which is an exersize in excess, sans the"stabilizers", and follows most of Exners styling ques....?
Now your contradicting.
:confused:

Santa I NEED that.

WAIT.........! You don't like the excess styling of the forward look cars, but you like this Toro...... which is an exersize in excess, sans the"stabilizers", and follows most of Exners styling ques....?
Now your contradicting.
:confused:
Not sure I follow.... I see BIG differences. Sure even the Toro STILL has a few elements I'd leave on the dwg board (perfection has yet to be achieved).....but when compared to Exner era cars...huge differences...close to a paradigm change between the two I believe.

1957-1959-imperial-21.jpg

1956-Imperial-Southampton-For-Sale-Rear.jpg

1959 Imperial-10.jpg

oldsmobile-toronado-1966-5.jpg

1966-Oldsmobile-Toronado-Jay-Leno-FA-1024x768.jpg

Olsmobile_Toronado_2.jpg

Example of the fuselage cues living on into the modern era.......(not the only example of course, but a very visible one)

DTS.jpg

So basically imo we can see how less can actually be more. Unnecessary encumbrances are, unnecessary.

I like both the '66 Toro and the '59 Imperial, that is why I own both. The styling of the Toro is more refined and the Imp is way over the top. At car shows the Imp gets more attention.

100_0314.JPG

I really would like to see more on your New Yorker (pictured) is there a thread on this? If not please start one.
I'm flattered. lol Seriously. Umm, no thread devoted to it. I don't think it justfies a thread in all honesty. There's some incredible cars focussed on here that just blow me away. The Critter SFGT saga was a book I couldn't put down. Sad ending tho. He finished it.
Alan's CHP car.
Vodka's Imperial.
Nick's Fury.
And dozens of others.

The 57 Plymouth Ad said "Suddenly, It's 1960!" Future, Style, Vision, Engineering sold these cars. Now, Having cars Driven By Hamsters is what People want.

Kia-Soul-Wallpaper-3-Shadow-2650x1440.jpg

I dont think America has made a Very Stylish car in a long time. Imagination, Creativity and having a Innate sense of Taste, Have all Disappeared from Our Culture.

Last edited:
The 57 Plymouth Ad said "Suddenly, It's 1960!" Future, Style, Vision, Engineering sold these cars. Now, Having cars Driven By Hamsters is what People want.

View attachment 107701

I dont think America has made a Very Stylish car in a long time. Imagination, Creativity and having a Innate sense of Taste, Have all Disappeared from Our Culture.
Ive seen that ad, that was a pretty big statement...and youve nailed it.....the big three were all about "styling" in those days. Damn amazing what they could get away with.
Yeh I dont go for gerbil cars either, but ya gotta admit theres more thought for function in that car than the "suddenly its 1960" cars. But people have changed since as well, so it all works out in the wash IMO.

Ive seen that ad, that was a pretty big statement...and youve nailed it.....the big three were all about "styling" in those days. Damn amazing what they could get away with.
Yeh I dont go for gerbil cars either, but ya gotta admit theres more thought for function in that car than the "suddenly its 1960" cars. But people have changed since as well, so it all works out in the wash IMO.
My DD is a gmc suburban mostly because of my use of some of it's potential function. I did use the third row seat once and I have had the back folded down to haul whatever for the last 4 years (I wonder if the seats are stuck by now?). Purchased for a variety of reasons that included the ability to haul a load of 4x8 sheets. Spoiled by it's general usefulness (to me), I don't see a replacement coming anytime soon.

The "killed in action" car likely has that appeal to someone who drags around smaller junk and occasionally hauls smaller friends. I know the fuel mileage is way different, but in my commute would take a long time to make up for the cost/lack of usefulness. I first saw one of these and admired it's potential to be a practical small hauler.
2006_scion_xb_picture%20(27).jpg

But I think the looks of it are another kind of birth control.

This is so damned sexy I would trade the missus in for it...
300f-1-1-jpg.84775

Of course if no one's going to take me up on the offer, don't you dare tell on me for making it...:rolleyes:

If car buying decisions are based on only function, well .... your probably not the life of the party.
Form is what makes function marketable....

Back