Experience

I84885

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased one of those tools used to remove ignition key bezel on a 68 newport after 1st couple of tries teeth on the tool broke off and bent over out of alignment. What a piece of crap an old school mechanic stopped by grab a pointy nose screwdriver gave it a couple of wacks and the bezel spun right off. You can't beat experience

I bought one also, and agree - it was flimsy and was starting to fail when the task I bought it for was done. However, I only used it to tighten up an antenna mount, and found that I needed to have perfectly clean threads and a touch of lube to ensure a good result. Sorry to hear yours failed. I'd ask the seller if they'd send you another... although they're not that expensive, so lesson learned might be the only thing one gets out of this.

I also suggest buying a cheap set of sockets and making your own with a grinder... I did that as well. The steel used in those is much stronger than in the eBay tool you and I have purchased plus you can make the "teeth" a tad larger.

Thank you I will give your advice a try btw the tool was 20 bucks from classic industries smh

When I had to fiddle with mine, I used one of these spring loaded c ring type pliers. I think mine was actually for sprinkler head nozzle repairs, but the same concept. It was ‘good enough’ for what I was doing.
21B1F28B-B1E5-4EEA-9E0D-FDEFD6DEC44E.jpeg

Yes indeed I can see how that would work. They don't really give you much space to get a grip on that bezel thanks for the tip.

Back