Exterior LED lighting upgrade

cbarge

World Famous Barge in a Budget
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally got my 360 degree barrell LED bulbs from super brite Led for the 69 Fury aka Frankie.
Thanks to the pandemic the box sat at the border as it was closed and still is
Thankfully the Kinex place shipped it to me at a cost of course but long overdue.
So I wasted no time installing them.
The purpose of this upgrade is reducing the load on the electrical system.
Gone is the annoying lights dimming or flickering when hitting the brake or using the turn signal. Plus the ammeter gauge will not be dancing as much either.
Having brighter lights is a plus.
20201002_184320.jpg

Last edited:
Installing the bulbs is a no brainer.
I use red led for the rear and amber for the front park/signals.
Making them work in our old Mopars requires an electronic flasher with external ground.
Grote 2 pin 44891
20201002_181011.jpg

Led's are polarity specific and so is the matching flasher.
Plugging it in as is will not work.
Simply reverse the spades in the flasher plug. Where black was is now red and vice versa.
20201002_181222.jpg

Attach the white ground wire to any metal surface. Typically an existing screw in the bottom of dash or ashtray..
20201002_183034.jpg

I shoulda taken before pics but the results speak for themselves..
I did cool white reverse lights so Maggie can see when parking the car at night.
20201002_190012.jpg

I have a second flasher to install for the hazard flasher.
As most of you already know, LED have very little resistance ant not enough draw for the old flasher to work.
Also on the Fury the right rear inner socket is not getting good ground and may need to be replaced.

All of the mopars in our fleet run LED's.
What I like the cars still look stock but have modern day function.
10 years for the wagon and nary a bulb needed replacing.
Being seen is a good thing...reducing any load on the electrical system is a smart thing.
Hope this thread is helpful.
Cheers

I tried a set a few years ago not knowing what to get. All the LED elements in the tail lights bulbs while bright but never hit the reflectors correctly [too few leds per bulb?] and the results were very poor and dim. I pulled them and put back the 360 degree radiation Edison bulbs. Since I also have a 69 Fury III I would love to know what you used or where to find out. Looks great.

Last edited:
Thanks for this! I will be doing this on my 68 Imperial as I want to preserve the switches etc after I pay a lot to get them rebuilt.

I can't wait to see those tail lights across the back lit well.

This thread needs to be preserved for future...

For cars with clear front turn sgnal lenses and amber bulbs,I use the "switchback" LED 360 barrel bulbs.
With park lights on they are bright enough to be daytime running lights...
Hit the turn signal and the color switches to amber!!
PARK...
View attachment 406324
WITH LEFT SIGNAL ON...AMBER
View attachment 406325
1157 Switchback LED Bulb - Dual Function 60 SMD LED Tower - A Type - BAY15D Bulb | Super Bright LEDs
View attachment 406326
In my experience these colour-changing "switchback" bulbs are the only LED bulbs that will work for the front turn signals in a 66 Chrysler. The regular ones that are amber all the time did not work properly. Electrically they need to behave like two separate filaments for running lights and turn signals. The colour-changing ones do, but the regular amber ones I got did not, so the power would feedback through the circuit and cause unintended operation.

For cars with clear front turn sgnal lenses and amber bulbs,I use the "switchback" LED 360 barrel bulbs.
With park lights on they are bright enough to be daytime running lights...
Hit the turn signal and the color switches to amber!!
PARK...
View attachment 406324
WITH LEFT SIGNAL ON...AMBER
View attachment 406325
1157 Switchback LED Bulb - Dual Function 60 SMD LED Tower - A Type - BAY15D Bulb | Super Bright LEDs
View attachment 406326

Talk about modernizing. That is so cool.

Back