Fast gearbox oil drop :-(

Xlratr

Reaction score
if you don’t have time to drain the oil from the transmission using the drain plug, just find a convenient obstruction at just the right hight and drive over it. The oil will be out before you can say “what was that noise?”
:-(

2BE7DBE1-C8BB-451E-A76F-5CE894C3DE9E.jpeg

Dang that sucks, sorry to hear of your misfortune

if you don’t have time to drain the oil from the transmission using the drain plug, just find a convenient obstruction at just the right hight and drive over it. The oil will be out before you can say “what was that noise?”
:-(

View attachment 357156

That is unfortunate. Is this is a deep cast aluminum pan that sticks down past the frame?

Yep, it “was” one of those cast pans, slightly deeper than stock. There's a metal loop bolted to the ground that secures the gate at the place where I keep the car. I've driven over it dozens of times, but this time there were 4 people in the car and the drain plug caught on the loop. Ripped a big chunk out of the back of the casting. :-(

Yep, it “was” one of those cast pans, slightly deeper than stock. There's a metal loop bolted to the ground that secures the gate at the place where I keep the car. I've driven over it dozens of times, but this time there were 4 people in the car and the drain plug caught on the loop. Ripped a big chunk out of the back of the casting. :-(
BUMMER :mad:

Crap! Well, look on the bright side, at least it didn't happen on a road trip, or even an inconvenient place you would need to be towed from.

All fixed. The new pan doesn't hang as low as the previous one, just a little bit lower than stock.
Got a nice wide flange and I'm hoping it'll be oil tight.

8DB80B75-95B6-4905-B0EE-D4E8002796E6.jpeg

At least the drain plug doesn't protrude from the new one. Seems like that was mainly the problem with the first one. After all of this, I would also ask the owner of the yard if there is another way to secure the gate.

Yep, I like that about the drain plug too. And the yard owner has promised to do something about the gate! :)

Back