Favorite Forward Look Cars

I also like the DeSotos from 60-61. The older ones are sleek and the younger ones have that crazy ``customized`` Front end

Good morning all,
Long time reader, member, but first time posting here. I've a few Plymouth Furys, but my first FL is a White 61' Chrysler Windsor I found in 98'. Unfortunately, I got rear ended a few months ago going for a carwash and parts, and the body shop is having a really hard time finding a couple pieces of trim. There are two identical straight pieces just inboard from the tail light bezels and just above the bumpers. Does ANYONE have one of these they'd part with? Mine was first bashed in, then run over in the intersection before I could retrieve it. The other elusive piece is the one running from tail light to tail light just under the trunk lip. Apparently, these straight pieces don't exist, and both are 1 year only pieces of trim. I've found the curved piece for the DS rear, and luckily, the bumper can be saved and the finish panel straightened. How he missed the tail light, I've no idea. I'm located in Amarillo Texas.
As an aside, I have, and have come to the conclusion that I probably will never use, a 1961 steel crank stored in chromyline (sp?) and a set of rods and pistons FOR (not from) the same engine. The crank I got from Dvorak years ago after his buyer bought what they thought was a G2 hemi crank and cleaned it up. When Mr. Dvorak looked at it, he realized what it was (59-61 413 car crank) and put it up for sale. The piston/rod set are salvage from a turning 60' 413. I sold the 440 block I was going to use to replace the 383 in my Windsor, SO, I either need to:
1) sell this rotating assy. to someone who can use it, or
2) find another 440 block (looking for 75-80 casting dates)
This is just a file photo of another white 61 windsor in order to illustrate the trims I'm referring to. Mine has the flightsweep decklid.

1961-chrysler-windsor-4-d-ht-CRYNG3.jpg

I also like the DeSotos from 60-61. The older ones are sleek and the younger ones have that crazy ``customized`` Front end
Along with the horiz. quad headlights the 60s put the tail lights in the fins.

Good morning all,
Long time reader, member, but first time posting here. I've a few Plymouth Furys, but my first FL is a White 61' Chrysler Windsor I found in 98'. Unfortunately, I got rear ended a few months ago going for a carwash and parts, and the body shop is having a really hard time finding a couple pieces of trim. There are two identical straight pieces just inboard from the tail light bezels and just above the bumpers. Does ANYONE have one of these they'd part with?
I had to get trim made for a wagon. Took a rotted out banged up piece to a custom fab shop, they said ‘no dice’. A day later they called back and said ‘$200, not chromed’. If insurance is paying, go find a local custom metal fab shop. If nothing exists nearby, find the local AACA chapter and ask who they use. I assume you still have the original mangled parts. Heck, I had a guy named victor work magic on non-salvageable 63 vette parts. Somebody can make or save your parts.

While I have a little trouble deciding on my favorite forward look car the 59 Coronet D500 is very high on my list. However, here are a couple pics of the only fin class one I own. A 60 Dart Phoenix I have had since 1983. One shot in my driveway and the other getting some attention from Dennis Gage and his crew at Mopars in The Park in Minnesota

Phoenix Lside.Jpg

DCP_0572.JPG

While I have a little trouble deciding on my favorite forward look car the 59 Coronet D500 is very high on my list. However, here are a couple pics of the only fin class one I own. A 60 Dart Phoenix I have had since 1983. One shot in my driveway and the other getting some attention from Dennis Gage and his crew at Mopars in The Park in Minnesota

View attachment 214003

View attachment 214004
:wideyed:

View attachment 214003

View attachment 214004

A few more pics of your Dart Phoenix would be appreciated by all, I'm sure

A few more pics of your Dart Phoenix would be appreciated by all, I'm sure
OK. Here are a few more. I had it repainted 1983. Has all of the original stainless. Original bumpers were re-chromed. Original spinner hubcaps. Original generator was rebuilt and the original 318 was rebuilt. Steering wheel is original and un-restored. The only things I added were the foxcraft fender skirts and the "turret" clock. Door jams and deck lid are still wearing the factory Vermillion Red paint. Interior has the original door panels but the seats were recovered with SMS factory style upholstery. I thought I had pics of the seats but couldn't find them. Sorry

Old Gal.JPG

Phoenix engine comp1.JPG

Phoenix front.JPG

Phoenix dash1.JPG

Phoenix Rear.Jpg

Phoenix2.JPG

Phoenix Lside2.Jpg

Your car is gorgeous! Could you please take a pic of it without the skirts? I'm curious to see what it would look like.
Thanks

The speedometer of any 60 Dodge passenger car is very interesting as you can see it from outside of the car. So if cops were coming toward the car, the driver should ease on the throttle...

Your car is gorgeous! Could you please take a pic of it without the skirts? I'm curious to see what it would look like.
Thanks
Here are a couple of scans from pics when it got repainted in 1983. No skirts. I forgot about the rock guards and rear bumper guards. They are factory options but were not on this car from the assembly line.

SCAN0177.JPG

SCAN0178.JPG

The speedometer of any 60 Dodge passenger car is very interesting as you can see it from outside of the car. So if cops were coming toward the car, the driver should ease on the throttle...

They would have to be pretty observant. If they were looking that close, I'd worry about getting hit head on.

That 60 Dodge is a beauty. That year Dodge would probably be high on my list. But I think if I had to pick my absolute favorite Forward Look car it would be the 57 Dodge. Although it might be in a close tie with the 62 Imperial.

OOh Oh OOH! I have to change my answer! I forgot about the 1960 Chrysler 300 - although how in the world I could do that is beyond me! That has to be my favorite - with the others listed above following close behind.

Last edited:
Don't take any offense, but it looks even better without the skirts. IMHO. But I was never Skirt guy with these. I had '59 Belvidere that came with skirts. They laid in the shop.
To me anyway, they always seemed to make the backend look like it was real low or had saggy springs. But it's your car, you have the right to choose.
Thanks for the extra pics:thumbsup:. She's a knockout.

Last year I was making room for this Desoto from MN but it was sold before things were freed up.
77377BC2-2984-4569-B04A1B4BD2D0F553.jpg
FE35C601-D78E-47D7-8FD1A47923CA6B9E.jpg
C176F9D3-F637-48AA-831013F7DC8DD89E.jpg

1. 1957 Desoto Fireflite--to me, the most spectacular-looking car ever built--bar none.
2. 1957 Chrysler New Yorker--a close second.
3. 1960 Chrysler--no other finned car of any make made fins look so integral a part of the design
4. 1959 Dodge Coronet--Mr Angry Eyes. Love it.
5. 1959 Plymouth Savoy--the first car I remember noticing was my Nana's four door six banger. Probably the only car on this list I'll ever be able to afford, if ever.
BTW, if anyone ever has a solid '59 Plymmie 4 dr sedan to sell that goes for 4 figures, I'm your buyer.

I have to add 60-63 Imperials to my list. Are the 62-63 Imperials considered FLs as they have fins? Model year tells if the car looks good with fender skirts IMO. 57-59 get a big no and 60-end of the generation get a yes, no matter what make is the object.

Back