Fender tag stamp, Newark plant

A38E86D32

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Ordering a new fender tag for my 71' plymouth. It's very corroded. I'd like to duplicate the number stamp the factory puts in the upper right hand corner. Any ideas?
Thanks

20160520_121027.jpg

I believe these were just hand stamped on the reverse side prior to installation. I thought I had found an article here The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page but can't find it now. There is a very good link on this website on VIN Fraud...I'm not implying that you're trying to do that but it has links to state laws on replacing, removing VIN ID from cars. You may be painting yourself into a corner. I would check your state laws.

I think that number in the corner is an inspector's stamp. I don't think you are going to be able to exactly duplicate it, but you might be able to come close with a set of cheap number stamps in that size.

Inspector stamps, along with paint blotches and stuff like that, was applied pretty haphazardly as the car went down the line. I'm not even sure what that number was... or if you could read it even when it was new.

I'm not sure what level of restoration you are doing, but I'd just forget about it and screw the new tag on as is.

I'm not sure what you want for an answer.

1) Determine the number on your tag
2) Find someone that has the punch to duplicate the number
3) Stamp tag.
I was wondering about the font to use, size of the digits, and i was thinking someone else may have done this before and could share,
Thanks for your input

I think that number in the corner is an inspector's stamp. I don't think you are going to be able to exactly duplicate it, but you might be able to come close with a set of cheap number stamps in that size

Inspector stamps, along with paint blotches and stuff like that, was applied pretty haphazardly as the car went down the line. I'm not even sure what that number was... or if you could read it even when it was new.

I'm not sure what level of restoration you are doing, but I'd just forget about it and screw the new tag on as is.

I may do just that. Thanks

I think that number in the corner is an inspector's stamp. I don't think you are going to be able to exactly duplicate it, but you might be able to come close with a set of cheap number stamps in that size

The hand punches used at the plants, or something very similar, are still floating around out there. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** in the first post. The punches are out there; just find the guys that have them.

The hand punches used at the plants, or something very similar, are still floating around out there. I wasn't trying to be a smart *** in the first post. The punches are out there; just find the guys that have them.

No worries :)
I'm going to get my digital caliper out and measure the digits stamped in my original plate

Ebay has $30 stamp kits I'll probably get one of those

I remember you helped me a while back with some things about my car...

Got my new fender tag from AG tags Backeast. VERY happy with it. I will be keeping the original and NOT stamping the new tag.
Just thought I'd share how nice it came out :)

20160817_174540.jpg

Looks good to me. Hopefully the tag guys will chime in. I'd like to hear their thought on authenticity

Got my new fender tag from AG tags Backeast. VERY happy with it. I will be keeping the original and NOT stamping the new tag.
Just thought I'd share how nice it came out :)

What does bold part mean?

You have the original and the repro ... I see nothing wrong if they match.

I believe these were just hand stamped on the reverse side prior to installation. I thought I had found an article here The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page but can't find it now. There is a very good link on this website on VIN Fraud...I'm not implying that you're trying to do that but it has links to state laws on replacing, removing VIN ID from cars. You may be painting yourself into a corner. I would check your state laws.
Fender/data plates are not the federally regulated tag, the dash/ door post tag is.

Alan

Back