Fill her up...

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just missed witnessing an aerial refueling over my house tonight. When I first spotted them I was sure I saw the boom extended. Too slow getting the phone out though.
20180621_202711.jpg

Last edited:
That's one of the things I never got to see while I was serving, I did get to lay down in the pit where they fly the boom from on the KC135A. We flew over to Spain on KC135's during Desert Storm

That's one of the things I never got to see while I was serving, I did get to lay down in the pit where they fly the boom from on the KC135A. We flew over to Spain on KC135's during Desert Storm

Hopefully you did not have jet fuel sloshing around you on the pit floor while you were trying to work.

Dave

Are you out in the rural areas? I can't imagine they're refuel over a city or more urban setting?

Hopefully you did not have jet fuel sloshing around you on the pit floor while you were trying to work.

Dave
I didn't describe it correctly, on the KC135 the boom operator lays in a pod at the rear of the plane and flies the boom while refueling. While flying to Spain I got to lay down in the pod and look out. Looks like this pic, only we didn't do any refueling.

kc-135-stratotanker_001.jpg

Are you out in the rural areas? I can't imagine they're refuel over a city or more urban setting?
Oh he is in a rural area alright. Nothing up there but trees and old oil wells.
I wonder if they are out of the air refueling wing near Pittsburgh or out of the Air Force Base near Youngstown Ohio. Thier big cargo planes come in so low over Rt. 82 it like they will bump the roof on my truck, one after another.

I live near the Avon Park Bombing Range and directly overhead is where they train for aerial refueling. It's seems like it's mostly at night. Hours and hours watching them go in circles with a spotter plane . Usually around the time when the weather is perfect and you have all the windows open. :BangHead:
But as they say down here, That's the sound of Freedom.:usflag:

We have quite some issues with dumping fuel around the Ramstein airbase from airplanes in certain situations when they have to turn around. Three Digit tons per year IIRC.

Very rural, my little piece of heaven is 19.5 acres. Most of the folks around me have more than that.

Oh he is in a rural area alright. Nothing up there but trees and old oil wells.
I wonder if they are out of the air refueling wing near Pittsburgh or out of the Air Force Base near Youngstown Ohio. Thier big cargo planes come in so low over Rt. 82 it like they will bump the roof on my truck, one after another.
Well said Dave. I would guess either Pittsburgh or Vienna, OH.

Back