Filling trim holes

67Monaco

Go Woke, Go Broke.
Reaction score
This is how I do it there's many many ways to do it and I'm sure someone has a better one. But this is what I found works for me. start to finish including these pictures was about 30 minutes for 10 holes. Each process was done for all holes at the same time, so tack, then weld, then grind, etc etc etc.

This is a trim hole for the belt line trim on the front fender of my 67 Monaco. The disc centered in the hole is 3/16" across with roughly .030 gap all the way around. It's held in place with a magnet on the backside. After the first tacks on the plugs the magnets are removed.

mnlzs72e1dw9s62fg.jpg

Tack it up. I'm using MIG since I don't have TIG at this time though I'm sure it would be much easier. My settings for something like this is wire speed on a scale of 1 - 10 is roughly 6. Amps about what you'd use for 3/16" CRS. Why so hot? I stay on the trigger less than a second and that gives me great penetration to the backside. Also I clip the wire before each pull of the trigger. Why? I want the same type of arc and penetration with each trigger pull. Balled tips don't offer the same control of the arc. Does it waste wire? mmmmhmmmmm Is it ugly? You bet your *** it is.

ywx1r7savg77u34fg.jpg

Grind the proud weld with a cut-off wheel at 90 degrees and bring it nearly flush with the original metal. I'm still working on the art of dressing welds so it's ugly. But the process is the same no matte what.

5bm8542358bcjgnfg.jpg

Bring it down a bit more with a 2.5" 40 grit roll lock disc.

qx898ou8u7zxwyrfg.jpg

Hit it with a medium grit flexy spongy roll lock disc thingy..

imt606vr5h5hi2rfg.jpg

Quick run over it with a 80grit DA.

pik6ykf3uulf79cfg.jpg

And finally a brown 3m scotch bright pad to bring back my sins of hitting the fender with the cut-off wheel. This will get a skim coat of filler after I finish stripping the rest of the the paint off.

This pic to be changed later as I don't like the blurriness of this one.
cou1y2kiabyek97fg.jpg

But that's just how I does it.

That looks really good. What did you use for the plugs? I find when I use magnets to hold the plugs that I have a hard time getting the wig to lay down a good weld.

The plugs were made with a HF flanger/hole punch. Best 30 bucks I ever spent there.

http://m.harborfreight.com/air-punch-flange-tool-1110.html
Plus 25% off coupon = win.

I found the key to not have the plug move is to hit the gap right where the magnet is. Then remove it. Yes it will split them from time to time. On this set of ten holes I cracked three magnets.

I saw this done once with common nails. Hold the nail head in the hole and weld it up then cut the protruding part of the nail off.

Nice job 67monaco. As time passes procedures improve and change but we all know that talent iz involved too. My biggest PITA iz shrinking metal if I screw up and get it too hot. Last time I shaved door handlez I used the screw it and glue it technique and Dam do I love that 3M glue. It so beats the hell out of lead. Fact I threw away my wood trowel paddlez

Flat piece of copper held on back side with magnet fill hole with weld remove magnet and copper

Yup done that too.

Nice job 67monaco. As time passes procedures improve and change but we all know that talent iz involved too. My biggest PITA iz shrinking metal if I screw up and get it too hot. Last time I shaved door handlez I used the screw it and glue it technique and Dam do I love that 3M glue. It so beats the hell out of lead. Fact I threw away my wood trowel paddlez

That ish exspendy for us po' folk

What's that in the first pic?

Posted via Topify on Android

It's a steel disc sitting in the center of the trim hole. There's a little clearance around the disc that will fill in when he hits it with the MIG.

It's a bit of an optical illusion. The shadow of paint at the bottom of the hole makes it look like the disc is sitting in a cup above the surface. (or something like that) I had to study the picture myself until I saw what I was looking for.

i have used a trick in the past where you run a wire into the hard to reach holes then push through till it appears somewhere accessable. then you wrap that around the nail and pull it back through.
I am about to weld up almost all of my trim holes on my 66 Fury sport so i will do a full write up. i have done this in the past using Flux Core welder with amazing results and no burn through or warping.

Back