Finally have a C Body!

Welcome! I've got an old MG in the garage that was stuck from sitting 30 years. Popped the head off and worked on the pistons with different oil concoctions, heat, and "firm delicacy" (hammer & wood block). Got it running without further disassembly. You may be able to do the same with your engine. You'll be glad you tried once it's running.

The grill is a little bent so I'd like to replace it eventually. I also need the top fender trim and corner fill piece by the headlight.

IMG_20140316_160513268_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140316_160513268_HDR.jpg

So the valve covers and the carb have been off for a while, that's why the engine is stuck.

I had almost the same issue when I got my 67 NYer. There was a top end engine fire and the 440 motor wouldn't turn.I cleaned everything up,had to replace the carb,distributor,wires and other misc. parts.I pulled the motor just for the hell of it and replaced all the external gaskets(valve covers,oil pan,front cover).Poured transmission fluid into the spark plug holes and let it sit for a few days.Got the motor to move back and forth about an inch and then she finally broke free after a few more days.001.jpg

001.jpg

Just get a quart or two of cheap transmission fluid.Your only going to drain it out with the oil after you get it to break free.Just try working the engine from the front crankshaft bolt after a day or two.Once it starts to move a little it should break free.If it doesn't move after a week try a little help by using a breaker bar but still work it back and forth.It'll smoke a bit when she first starts up,just burning up some trans fluid left in the cylinders,but should clear up after a few minutes.These motors are tough and as long as there isn't any real internal damage then she should be good. Good Luck!

The engine on car was seized from sitting in a field for 30 years. I pulled the heads and soaked the pistons in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. Within two weeks of beating on it with 5lb sledge on a block of wood. After sac attempt I'd reverse the loading with a breaker bar on the crank. In my case it was one or two pistons being stuck.

Alan

I once bought a 68 Newport with a stuck 383. I put trans fluid in the cylinders and tried freeing it up but it wouldn't budge. Once I took it apart I found the wrist pins frozen in the rods. Once I disconnected the rods at the crank the pistons just slid right out.

Trunk floor is solid. A little scale that I need to wire wheel off and then treat, but that's it.

View attachment 26762

A cheap ($20-25) harbor freight needle scaler will take care of that in very short order .. much faster than a wire wheel. Also it doesn't polish the rust it removes it.

Works on paint, undercoating, and rust

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fashionably late to the party but, nice catch nonetheless.....love that fast back body style, looks like its moving fast without moving at all. Hope you can keep that original 383, good luck.

Thanks everyone. The stories about being able to save your stuck engines makes me feel better about my chances of being able to keep the 383 in it.

A cheap ($20-25) harbor freight needle scaler will take care of that in very short order .. much faster than a wire wheel. Also it doesn't polish the rust it removes it.

Works on paint, undercoating, and rust

Thanks! I'm going out to get one!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option you might want to try is filling up the cylinders with white vinegar.It will eat away at the rust in a few days to a week or two but you probably will have to flush out the remaining vinegar in the cylinder by using a vacuum and suck it out once it breaks free.White vinegar does wonders for rust removal.Try soaking some rusty old tools for a few days in the stuff and you'll see.

To be honest, I wouldn't pour anything in it at this point. I would pull the entire top end of the motor apart and see what you're dealing with first. The cyl walls are going to be rusted up. If you turn the motor over with all that crap in there, you'll damage the rings and possibly the cyl walls. You never know, there could be mouse crap in there and god knows what else. Yeah, you can give it a shot, but it's not a good idea in my opinion, but it's your car man and what ever you do I wish you the best. Keep us posted.

Back