first post here

67vip

Reaction score
hello, I'm David. i own a 1967 Plymouth fury vip that i inherited from my grandfather. the car has always been in my family since it left the dealership. looking to restore and rebuild the motor, transmission, and replace with disc brakes. any advice as I start the tear down process would be much appreciated. motor is stock 383 super commando with a 727 torqflite. no reverse gear at the moment.

IMG_0318.jpg

Hello. Welcome to the site. Do you have a good engine builder ready to take on your engine? When you start your diasembly after your engine builder tells you he is ready for the engine. take photos of everything you touch, have lots and lots of zip lock bags, tag each bag with the parts and hardware that came from each component that you removed. Dont through everything in a big box and hope to remember what bolt went where. The water pump bolts are three different lengths, do yourself a favour and draw i diagrame with what length went where. you will need to remove heater hose pipe from water pump housing to remove from block, or leave it for engine shop.
What is wrong with the engine now? What makes it in need of rebuild?

Hello. Welcome to the site. Do you have a good engine builder ready to take on your engine? When you start your diasembly after your engine builder tells you he is ready for the engine. take photos of everything you touch, have lots and lots of zip lock bags, tag each bag with the parts and hardware that came from each component that you removed. Dont through everything in a big box and hope to remember what bolt went where. The water pump bolts are three different lengths, do yourself a favour and draw i diagrame with what length went where. you will need to remove heater hose pipe from water pump housing to remove from block, or leave it for engine shop.
What is wrong with the engine now? What makes it in need of rebuild?
its been sitting for a good 15 years. i want to do the motor right and also install new cams, carbs etc. i got a buddy who does car restorations thats helping me out with some of his knowledge and connections to parts, but also trying to do this on my own or do what i can on my own. so making sure im doing all my research before anything happens.

Another tip for keeping track of which bolt goes where is to use a scrap of cardboard. Sketch the part on it punch holes where the bolts go and push the bolt into the holes. This is especially help when there are different lengths.

Back