Fitting Shocks onto car...

I just have to come up with a few hundred pounds of something that will help settle the springs as well.
I don't have any dead bodies laying around to throw into the trunk... :)

Half a dozen two-fours should do it. That will also help relive tension along the way :D

Sorry I have nothing to add. I think putting some weight in the back for a week or so might help settle the suspension a little

Thank you for this pic Stan! Now I know a little more why the *** on the blumo is higher. Never noticed how far the iso clamp moved the spring away from the axle. With the eliminator kit, the axle is right on top of the spring there for adding another inch or so (it looks like) in ride hieght.

I just took this shot of the shackle on my 66 Sport Fury with a fully loaded trunk ( parts ), hope it helps
IMG_8287.JPG

Cheers

Ken

Sorry I have nothing to add. I think putting some weight in the back for a week or so might help settle the suspension a little

Thank you for this pic Stan! Now I know a little more why the *** on the blumo is higher. Never noticed how far the iso clamp moved the spring away from the axle. With the eliminator kit, the axle is right on top of the spring there for adding another inch or so (it looks like) in ride hieght.
You don't have the isolators??

I just have to come up with a few hundred pounds of something that will help settle the springs as well.
I don't have any dead bodies laying around to throw into the trunk... :)
DEAD BODIES WEIGH LESS . YOU NEED A COUPLE OF LIVE ONES. JUMPING UP AND DOWN UNTILL YOU GET THE BOLTS LINED UP.

The dead bodies trick worked!

I put in the equivalent of 1 1/2 bodies and the car settled right down.
I guess i don't weigh enough on my own???

Thanks for the suggestions to add weight to the trunk!

I was going to reply earlier, but wasn't near my computer and wanted to provide you with some pics, but Kenmdale beat me to the punch.

Go back to the pic you posted showing the rear leaf bracket hanger... your photo shows the bracket leg pointing forward when it should be positioned back like Kenmdale's and my photo.

2015-08-29%2014.09.31.jpg

1. What you need to do is place a jack under the axle where the leafs U-bolts are - do one side at a time.
  2. Get something (crowbar, pipe etc) to wedge on top of where the rear leaf attaches to the silver bracket - you'll need to pivot it to the rear as shown in the photo.
  3. While adding a downward pressure to where the leaf bolts to the two silver brackets, pivot the leaf towards the rear while at the same time slowly raising the jack. It doesn't take much to pivot the leaf back - the jack will do most of the work.
  4. Once the leaf is positioned towards the rear you should be able to attach the shock - then do the other side.

Last edited:
the shackles are now almost perpendicular to the ground leaning forward just a little bit.

I'll give it a bit of road time to see if the settle into the proper position then call on the spring guys that did the springs if they remain forward.

the shackles are now almost perpendicular to the ground leaning forward just a little bit.

I'll give it a bit of road time to see if the settle into the proper position then call on the spring guys that did the springs if they remain forward.

How's the ride height?

When I installed Firm Feels Rear Sway Bar I had to un-bolt the shocks and leaf U-bolts and lower the rear end. When the rear end was lowered the rear shackle shifted upward unbeknown to me.

2015-08-27%2009.45.48.jpg

When I buckled everything back up I too couldn't re-attach the shock. I lowered the car and the rear sat up a good +5" and I still couldn't mount the shock.

2015-08-25%2011.09.52.jpg

With the shackles in their correct position, this is the height it's suppose to be -

2016-04-02%2014.18.43.jpg

Last edited:
How's the ride height?

When I installed Firm Feels Rear Sway Bar I had to un-bolt the shocks and leaf U-bolts and lower the rear end. When the rear end was lowered the rear shackle shifted upward unbeknown to me.

When I buckled everything back up I too couldn't re-attach the shock. I lowered the car and the rear sat up a good +5" and I still couldn't mount the shock.

With the shackles in their correct position, this is the height it's suppose to be -

2016-04-02%2014.18.43.jpg

I just eye balled the ride height since the car is still up on jack stands so I can continue to work on it.
I installed the one axle and wheel/tire so i could look to see how it looked.
It looked too high because I could see day light between the tire and the wheel well before I added the weight to the trunk and then after it was much better.
It then had about about 2 " of the tire covered by the wheel well which was a good sign to me.

I could easily connect the shocks after adding the weight of about 225 - 250lbs I'm guessing at.

Beautiful wagon you have there as well:thumbsup:

Back