Fitting Shocks onto car...

mr. fix it

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I tried to install the rear shock on the Polara tonight and ran into a snag.

The shocks are about 1 1/2" too short after having had the rear springs repaired and re-arched..

I tried to bring the spring down with a large pry bar but this just made me sweat a lot!
I got to within in 1 inch but that was as far as i could go.

Has anyone ran into this in the past?
Sorry I have no pics right now..

This is not a wise *** answer. Honest.
You need longer shocks or relocate the mounts.
Don't forget the upper and lower mounts are hardened steel.

Are you saying the shocks are too short with the weight of the car on the springs? Are you jacking the diff up a bit to meet the shocks?

Is it too short with the shock fully extended? You can make the shock as long or short as needed.

Are you saying the shocks are too short with the weight of the car on the springs? Are you jacking the diff up a bit to meet the shocks?
currently the setup is such that I have the jack stands under the leaf springs so the weight of the car should be pushing down on the springs

currently the setup is such that I have the jack stands under the leaf springs so the weight of the car should be pushing down on the springs
If the weight of the car is on the springs, and the shock, fully extended, is too short, PLUS, you mentioned the the springs are rearched, that tells me you need different shocks that are longer, yes?

If the weight of the car is on the springs, and the shock, fully extended, is too short, PLUS, you mentioned the the springs are re-arched, that tells me you need different shocks that are longer, yes?

It's possible at this point Stan.

I did measure the length of the shocks this morning before running out the door and factory spec calls for the shock being 22.5" extended length to which mine are.
Right now withthe springs in a loaded position they need to be at least 24" in order to slide onto the lower shock pins.

I have this crazy feeling that the spring shop arched the spring too much and now they are bowed too much.
I just found the specs' on the springs and will do a static measurement tonight.

I'm also going to install an axle and do a comparison of the original ride height to see if it is too far "Jacked up"

If it is then it is definitely a re-arched spring issue.
Look at the picture here of the rear shackle, I had to loosen the rear mounting bolts off so I could get the shackle to come together when installing the springs..
I can recall doing this from time to time when I used to work at a spring shop but never had an issue with the shock mounts.
My concern is if I do get these shocks or a 24" shock to install that if I drop the rear axle down when driving over a pot hole or raising the car by the frame the it will put too much stress on the shock and break it or worse yet rip the top mounting area in the car.

If the height is still acceptable then I'll buy longer shocks

IMG_0782[1].JPG

IMG_0800[1].JPG

IMG_0801[1].JPG

Last edited:
Also is it possible that I had the shackle bracket upside down?

Also, is there a maximum axle drop spec and does the shock control that?

The factory spec for the length is 62" so I'll recheck as well

Last edited:
If the existing springs were rearced, don't forget the eye-to-eye distance is shortened. Your rear shackle looks a little stretched out to accommodate the shorter length.

Looks to be, that when they re-arched the spring, you lost some over all length of the spring, possibly over arched. Your shackle is now at approx. 45 deg. to the body, when it should be more perpendicular, or more like 90 deg.to the body. I would take a measurement over all length, front mount to rear mount on the spring and compare it with the original factory OAL spec. The suspension geometry has been changed.

Mount the wheels and set the car back on the ground . Don't worry about the shocks for now. Check your ride height.

That rear shackle under load should be more to vertical, with it as it is now you re going to have a lot of strain put on both your front and rear shackle bushes because the spring cannot go through its entire bump range up and down. When the car hits a bump and the springs compresses the shackle with go more vertical but when you bounce the other way, it cant, there is no range of movement and the springs will "tug" at the mounts which will eventually destroy your bushes or worse cause a failure at the mouth points.
Also the rear shackle mount if inverted will only cause your spring to hang down even further making your shock problem even worse.
Lastly, if you do put in a lengthened shock absorber its compressed length will be longer too as it will be physically larger, that could also raise issues.

it definitely is looking to show I have a problem here..

I'll get it worked out.
Thanks for the input.
I'll keep everyone posted here.

In my experience, re-arched springs settle down a bit in the first week or so back into service. You may want to put a few hundred LBs in the trunk and see where you end up. If you can fit the old shocks on, throw them on and drive it around a bit.
Unless you want it that high.
aa.jpg

PS is that a GM 10 bolt?

... You may want to put a few hundred LBs in the trunk and see where you end up....

True, and by the time he puts the bumper, trunk lid, interior, and top back on, that will add a few missing pounds back on to the car. The fact that it is a bare shell doesn't help with the fitment.

Last edited:
I had this problem when I added a leaf to my springs on the Admiral. I was able to wrap a ratchet strap around the axle and upper mount cross member, then "pull" the axle enough to attach the shock at the bottom. He rides a little rough now as there isn't enough travel in the shock, but works perfect with the camper hooked up.
I may look for a pair of longer shocks.

True, and by the time he puts the trunk lid, interior, and top back on, that will add a few missing pounds back on to the car. The fact that it is a bare shell doesn't help with the fitment.

I just have to come up with a few hundred pounds of something that will help settle the springs as well.
I don't have any dead bodies laying around to throw into the trunk... :)

Back