Fog / Steam From Defroster Vents ATCII

SeaFuse

Reaction score
Hello folks. For Auto Temp 2 systems, what does it mean when fog / steam comes from the defroster vents? This happends mostly when it is very wet out (Seattle), after the engine gets warm. On dry days does happen much. System seems to work normal - does not blow hot air when in off position. Other positions and blower speeds system respond OK. A/c does not blow cold due to freon level. When heater is on there is less fog but when defogger is on there is quite a bit. The fog / steam is odorless and does not leave a film on the windshield so I do not think it is coolant. I though it was due to a bunch of leaves being packed in the cowl well below the windshield wipers but cleaned this out and still does it. Do not see any signs of moisture around heater core area but is hard to tell. The fog looks almost like dry ice smoke from a rock comcert. thanks.

Last edited:
This is a definite sign of moisture in the system. If you are sure you are not leaking coolant, (heater core), check the evaporator drain to see it it is letting the moisture out. I would also do a cooling system pressure test to be absolutely positive it is not coolant.

Sorry, but I think it's a coolant leak. Wipe some of the condensation with a fingertip...if it feels slippery like soap, it's coolant. You can also taste your fingertip if you're comfortable doing that...if it's sweet...it's coolant.

Agreed - sometimes it doesn't smell, but it's still coolant. Every time I've ever seen that, it's a coolant leak from the heater core.

Plus, you do NOT want to breathe very much of that - poison.

If you're not into tasting antifreeze take a white kleenex or paper towel and wipe the inside of your windshield. If the heater core is leaking your white kleenex/towel will be the same colour as your antifreeze.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

Back