For the fender tag guy's!!!

70 Sport Suburban

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The recent 70 S23 I got back here's the Tag so has anyone ever seen a 70 car get a G for 318 in the vin. But stamped for E61 383 2bbl and when I get the broadcast sheets back it has the same thing. Bit the car is a 701 scheduled build date which is late for someone to mess up and put a G for a 69 car. I'm just curious if someone has ever seen anything like this before? By the way a 383 2bbl is in the car I haven't checked the motor or trans yet for number's.

received_1479918036111622.jpeg

And I'll add there must be some REASON for the 125 on all the Hursts, and we've discussed it here, But clearly there is no reason for the G and E61. Blatant error. I'd like to send this gem to Dave Wise for his opinion.

So today at least I was able to get under the car the motor and trans are numbers matching i was so glad to see 295470. But someone still stamped the vin and fender tag with a G for some reason.

20230729_145024.jpg

20230729_145240.jpg

the "G" in the VIN and E61 is a misprint.
Misprints do happen. Our member Trev had a 69 Dodge CV which had an L-code (440 HP) coded in the VIN but it was a E63 383-4 car according to the broadcastsheet.

The 125 as SPD on the Hursts is another story. Y39 cars have their own oddities.
There are similar other cars. All Superbirds in example have "B30" as production date.
The A12 cars all have "329" and "426". Keep in mind that the SPD is not really the built date of the car.

Carsten

Cool little detail. Sure aren't many misprints out there in comparison.

As to the uniform Scheduled Production Dates (SPD) on some subseries, here's an educated guess.

To ChryCorp, the SPD together with the six-digit number that follows it on the fender tag constituted the Vehicle Order Number (VON). On this site we have the habit of calling only that six-digit number, in most cases a repeat of the number on the dealer's order sheet, the VON.

All those codes signal information relevant to the production process. The dealer's order sheet contains the specifics of the car to be built and the SPD indicates approximately when this should happen. It was used for the logistics concerning the parts needed to build that specific car.

For most cars a kind of Just-In-Time method was followed: "Have the parts ready by the date we intend to build the car." With the subseries mentioned in previous posts, maybe some other method was followed, something like "Get the parts for these cars ready by that date and then we'll decide on when to build each one of them."

By the way, was there some kind of cut-off date for orders for these subseries or could you order them during the whole model year?

Those who follow the When was the last production day for C-Bodies? thread may have noticed something similar. Cars scheduled for the last month of production display only a limited set of SPDs, mostly a week or so apart. Something connected with the build-out phase maybe?

Last edited:
SPDs are different vom plant to plant, year to year.

the thread you mention is about 1970 models.
So lets look at the other plants and what they did in the 1970 model year:

in St. Louis you have SPD 710 as the latest stamped on the tag with highest VINs in the "258xxx" range
46100592xc.jpg

In Hamtramck you have SPD 730 as the latest stamped on the tag with highest VINs in the "443xxx" range
46100616qn.jpg

In Jefferson it is SPD 717 as the latest stamped with the highest VINs in the "270xxx" range
46100630xg.jpg

In the Belvidere plant it is SPD 724 as the latest with highest VINs in the "312xxx" range
46100632tk.jpg

In the Lynch road plant it is SPD 710 with a "245xxx" VIN (but I have higher VINs in the 245 range that have SPDs of 702 and 703 !)
46100648gi.jpg

In Los Angeles the highest SPDs are 724 with VINs in the "161xxx" range
46100666pz.jpg

The Newark assembly plant is my soft spot. I do not have enough tags. Highest SPD is 616 with a VIN of "249xxx" but there will be lots more.
46100707xu.jpg

The windsor plant is also a soft spot. I have SPD 722 with a VIN of "344xxx" but there might be more
46100704jz.jpg

Every plant had there tags stamped differently. But the Hamtramck tag tells you that a few cars were probably buillt right till the end of the month. In every plant independend from what the SPD says

Carsten

Thanks for this nice collection of end-of-year fender tags for the 1970 model year!

Actually I referred to the 1978 model year, when the C-bodies went out of production. There you see those gaps in the SPDs on cars scheduled for the last month of production.

That must have been tied up with the production planning process, something I also suspect for subseries like Hursts and Superbirds with uniform SPDs.

For most cars a kind of Just-In-Time method was followed: "Have the parts ready by the date we intend to build the car." With the subseries mentioned in previous posts, maybe some other method was followed, something like "Get the parts for these cars ready by that date and then we'll decide on when to build each one of them."

By the way, was there some kind of cut-off date for orders for these subseries or could you order them during the whole model year?
Thank you @fc7_plumcrazy and @PeugFra for that discussion, as I think you've shed some new light on this subject.

What really got my attention is what I've italicized in PeugFra's comment above: "Get the damn parts ready for this short-run, low-volume subseries that's a PITA to the overall assembly line scheduling and we'll work them in as time/workflow allows." Fascinating to think about it like that. This really makes sense when you're relying on an outside vendor like Hurst or Creative Industries or race team development or sanctioning body homologation or even the Clairpointe pilot assembly plant for the 'Birds) to be ready when almost-completed cars come rolling off the line and need to go "someplace" to be finished. The long pole for the Hurst final production would have been the hoods and decklids, so those needed to be made and ready to go when that first load of 8 or 10 cars showed up. Nothing else was particularly special about the car otherwise. But perhaps that's why the 125 for Hursts: Chrysler told George to be ready with the fiberglass stuff by that time, even if they weren't themselves. And why not ready until April-ish when Hurst production ramped up? Maybe it was because those Imperial seats were going into expensive and popular Imperials instead of the oddball Hurst that isn't even in the sales brochure. Just sayin'.

So I think that we have a psychological problem here in the Mopar world. We view tags and broadcast sheets as mysterious treasure from the past (they are! :) ) but the original users of this data (the plants) viewed it as predictors of the future. I say "predictors" because these were SPDs, not PDs.

Great discussion!

Last edited:
SPDs are different from plant to plant, year to year.

The Newark assembly plant is my soft spot. I do not have enough tags. Highest SPD is 616 with a VIN of "249xxx" but there will be lots more.

The windsor plant is also a soft spot. I have SPD 722 with a VIN of "344xxx" but there might be more

Every plant had there tags stamped differently. But the Hamtramck tag tells you that a few cars were probably buillt right till the end of the month. In every plant independend from what the SPD says
70_PM43_E44_D31_FK3_266666_NEWARK.jpg
70_LL23_E44_D31_EB5_347388_WINDSOR.jpg

@70 Sport Suburban -- thank you for posting the tag of PH23G0D295470

Interesting typo, given that G was the code for the 383-2 in 1969.

I think that was the point of the original post. If it was a very early car it would have made sense, almost.

The "G" is the typo.

E61 D32 is correct for 1970
E44 D31 would be correct for a 318 (see post #12)

The "G" is the typo.

E61 D32 is correct for 1970
E44 D31 would be correct for a 318 (see post #12)
I'm waiting to get the broadcast sheets back I'm positive it's the same on that also. The dash vin reads G also on this car so they messed up on all 3 pieces.

All of yal's knowledge is very much appreciated. Just trying to soak it up like a sponge.
Thanks guys!!

Back