Formie sending unit...

monaco75

Reaction score
Anyone replace their fuel sending units on a formal? Where did you get yours from if you did?

I found the leak from when the tank was full! I was trying to remove the sending unit to clean, and save for the new tank... Yea that worked out! Everything I touch just rusts away!

I found one so far at classic car auto parts. Its the only one I've found with a 3/8 tube (what I want). All the others I've come accross have 5/16" tube. Anyone order one of these? Looking for a quality part, that will read correctly on the gauge.

From viewing pics online, it looks like something is missing from mine? The sock??

20140824_194442.jpg20140824_194455.jpg20140824_194511.jpg

Classic car parts piece. $85 freeking bucks for this little piece! They sure do have you by the balls on this one!:rant:

CHCSND100.jpg

20140824_194442.jpg

20140824_194455.jpg

20140824_194511.jpg

I got mine from partsvoice before anybody was re-popping Formal stuff (I am glad they are). Just be glad you don't have a wagon...those are only available NOS (I don't know of any new ones out there).

Yes, your original is missing the sock. Over the years the plastic probably just crumbled away...I found the same thing on my 72 D100.

Thank you Mr c. I'll check out partsvoice as well. Yea I havn't come accross one for a wagon. See em listed but not available. I'm glad their repopping formal stuff too, but still gotta do some digging to find the stuff.

Hold on to the original rubber gasket for the sender...I heard that sometimes the new ones have really thin rubber that doesn't seal correctly. Re-using the old thick seal seems to work in these cases.

I hope you got a new tank. Holy cow, I've never seen one that bad! LOL I would contact the people you got your new tank from and see if they might know where to get one.

Hold on to the original rubber gasket for the sender...I heard that sometimes the new ones have really thin rubber that doesn't seal correctly. Re-using the old thick seal seems to work in these cases.

The rubber seal isnt looking too hot. Pretty dry rotted, and nasty. The new fuel tank came with a new lock ring, and seal. Also a new sending unit will come with a seal as well. I figure worse case double up both the new seals together if needed...

I hope you got a new tank. Holy cow, I've never seen one that bad! LOL I would contact the people you got your new tank from and see if they might know where to get one.

Oh yea!! New tank already here. The big holes were not there till I started prying with a screwdriver, and hammer. The lock ring wasn't coming outa there! Luckily with all the rust, just pryed the tab for the lock ring off the tank.

The tank was ordered through rock auto. Unfortunatly no sending units available through them...

Back