Four 68 300s need information

Wojtek

Reaction score
I recently picked up a few 1968 300s. I love all original cars and hope to get my cars as close as I can. I hope a 68 guru can help me get the info I need to restore them the best I can.
1. The rear light panel around the tail lights on some cars are silver. some are black I'm not sure what's right or if there is a way to tell. I don't see it on the fender tag or build sheet.
2. I also have a weird mark on the bottem of 2 of my build sheets saying "31 Los Angeles DLR show" is it a dealership show car?
3. What does the "15 in deluxe wheel cover" sheet#581 hub cap look like?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchases. I can't comment about the black or silver taillight panel but others with greater knowledge will.

This could be due to the assembly plant - plant x decides black, while plant y decides silver, or maybe a US/Canada plant difference.

However the "31 Los Angeles DLR show" would seem to be a car built for the LA Dealer new model introduction show so that's probably rare but not necessarily more valuable.

Our usual cast of merry folk will supply their wisdom once online, but I can say there are fellow enthusiasts in/near Edmonton and Calgary.

All the best with your 68's.

John

Last edited:
I believe early build 68s had silver tail panels, and then Chrysler decided to change to black mid production.... here are the wheel cover options for 68

Options 1.jpg

Last edited:
First, regardless of where the cars were built, they would be built to the same specs (in all respects) without regard to plant location.

The rear panel color is something that we normally didn't worry about back then (when the cars were new and we were in high school). Worried more about engines, interiors, disc brakes, etc.

The 300s usually had only THREE choices of wheel. The standard "deluxe wheel covers" with the 300 logo in the middle, the Magnum 500 14" wheels (usually 14x6), and the wheel covers for disc brake cars (the ONLY 15" wheels and wheel covers).

The rear panel color HAD to be spec'd at the time the order was made. In a Google image search, I looked for similarities. Like keyed to the color of the vinyl top/convertible top (which could also relate to interior color), color of the car, or an equipment situation (possible "TNT" option, as '70 Camaro factory big blocks had black rear taillight panels rather than body color). I found no such correlations with the 300s, from what the images would indicate. 1967 300s all appeared to be body color, as the '68 Newports were. SO as this item seems to be a "specifiable" item, the 1968 Chrysler Dealer Order Guide with Color and Trim would be the ONLY real way to see what the real criteria might have been . . . follow the interior color, accent/contrast to the body color, or whatever. If none were specified (as some dealers might have chosen to not do), there had to have been a default mode (which could have been "silver". Black would have been a "no-cost option", as a result. In any event, when the Sales Order was submitted, it all had to have been spec'd at that point in time.

To be fair, most pictures were more concerned with the beauty of the 300s and were usually side pictures or frontal pictures, with only a few of the tail light area. At this point in time, looking for the usual visual clues as to TNT could be suspect too, as adding dual exhausts or changing underhood clues could all have happened after the car was originally built by Chrysler. ONLY the VIN might yield that information.

IF you can find an online 1968 Chrysler Parts Manual, there might be some clues hidden in the part number listings. Plus it would have a full decoding of the option codes and other stampings on the Data Plate, which might have information on a "rear panel color" paint code, in addition to the normal "upper" and "lower" paint codes, etc. Although I doubt that any 300s might have been built with "two-tone paint", as vinyl roofs had become popular and "upscale" and would have effectively substituted for such things, back then.

ONE OTHER THING I found during these searches as an image of part of the 1968 Chrysler wiring harness! www.diagramonwiring.blogspot.ca Downloadable! In color! Check it out, if desired.

CBODY67

Agreed, pictures would be nice, plus the last segments of the VIN with "engine", "model year", "plant", and "sequence number". Only two engine options, though . . . standard 350 horsepower 440 or optional 375 horsepower 440 "TNT".

CBODY67

I recently picked up a few 1968 300s. I love all original cars and hope to get my cars as close as I can. I hope a 68 guru can help me get the info I need to restore them the best I can.
1. The rear light panel around the tail lights on some cars are silver. some are black I'm not sure what's right or if there is a way to tell. I don't see it on the fender tag or build sheet.
2. I also have a weird mark on the bottem of 2 of my build sheets saying "31 Los Angeles DLR show" is it a dealership show car?
3. What does the "15 in deluxe wheel cover" sheet#581 hub cap look like?

1. Is the black painted or a tape stripe? To determine if this is an early/late change, what are the scheduled production dates of the cars with the black trim? What are the scheduled production dates of the cars without black?

2. What is the Sales Order number of the car?

3. Does the car have disc brakes?

I always thought The black vs silver tail panel was color keyed. Bright or light colors with black and dar colors with silver for contrast. But I believe instead that it was a change on all 300's at some point during the model year. I would not hesitate to restore the car with your own tail preference. No one would know for sure which is correct. I would choose the tail panel color that provides the greatest contrast to the exterior paint color.

These are my Two drivers.

The first is a hh1 antique ivory on black with black and stripe. Power windows, locks, seat and top. Disk brakes head rests both sides and a few other small options. But it is a L code so should be a real deal TNT

Second is my first 300. Scorch red (I think is the name) on white white vinyl white stripe. Power windows trunk and antenna tilt Tele wheel

I will be putting a new starter in the convertible so might snap some pics.

And my two projects are a red on black white top convertible power locks window trunk cruse and the auto headlight dimmer disk brakes tilt Tele wheel.
The other is a concort blue cc1? on black with black vinyl and a white stripe. Ac car power windows sail windows to. Tilt Tele wheel disk brakes it's a cloth and vinyl interior looks a bit different then my other cars

And I have a 4 door I will be parting out so if anyone needs specific 4 door parts I can take a look at it when I go out there.

All but my red hard top I bought a few weeks ago from a lady out of town I can tell you the story later if someone wants to hear it.

Also for the tnt I got a new pie plate mine is damaged. But for the air cleaner itself you can see it needs to be redone. Is it a flat black glossy black or that textured stuff?

FWIW, my Dad's 68 300 came off the showroom floor in September of 1968. TT-1 green, no vinyl top, tape stripe delete, optional tan and brown bench seats, 2 door.

It had a black tail panel.

I have seen cars with the same color with silver tail panels.

Now that I'm thinking about it... I may have the window sticker for that car somewhere.

With that comment, we know you are new here. Stories and pictures are a requirement. Whenever you are ready, we've got our ears on.

I wanna apologise in advance for my spelling and grammar.
For my first 300 the red hard top. I bought it maybe 3 years ago in Edmonton. drove it for a year then sold it cause i didn't have the room to store it and i worked to much to drive it. After a bit i started to miss it. And after 2 years of searching my brother found it on kijij 45 mins out of the city.

For the others i was on facebook and a ad popped up in a car group im in. A lady posted 3 parts cars 2 and a half hours away from me. It was for the red convertible the blue 2 HT and the 4 door all 3 for 600 bucks. Pretty bad pictures and they are parked nose in to the bush so she didn't know if there were engines. Her husband has become very ill. So she is selling all his projects. So i drove down looking for some parts for my red HT. And to see if the convertible is fixable and probably part out the 2 and 4 door. When i arrived i noticed the auto dimming headlight parts and cruise on the convertible and the other cool options. the 4 door was missing the whole front minus the right fender but has power window. the blue car i opened the door and noticed the ac pump sitting on the floor and the power vent windows black upgraded interior and other options. I also found a D440 under the hood missing the valve cover and it seems seized cause of it. So when i popped the hood on the red convertible there was no motor or trans sadly. She said maybe he put the engine in the other car. I asked about this other car cause it was not in any of her ads. It was sitting in the barn since 97 the husband started it every winter. the lights came on when i opened the door and it fired up second try. Sadly the back glass fell down and something punctured the top and the back seat. Some mice tried to move in but the cat got them. It has a modern paint job and is looking worn.

I plan on restoring it to original next spring. Fallowed by the red HT cause its does not need much but body work and the interior refreshed. I also have a all original 66 charger that i need to do a few small things on. And then I will maybe decide which project car to do

I will post pics of the projects when i get a chance. I need to take a few still.

Back