Four 68 300s need information

Good story, thanks! I wouldn't mind seeing more of that ivory vert.

Also for the tnt I got a new pie plate mine is damaged. But for the air cleaner itself you can see it needs to be redone. Is it a flat black glossy black or that textured stuff?
Some were done in Satin black which I think is correct for your car while others were done in black wrinkle finish.

20170925_190617.jpg
20170925_190555.jpg
20170925_190527.jpg

To clarify... The early '68 300s had silver tail panels and they later changed to black.

I found an article years ago that there was a point in the sequential part of the VIN where they were supposed to have changed and I had 5 '68 300s at that point and 2 with the VIN below that point had silver tail panels and the 3 above that point had the black panels.

Supposedly the silver tail panels would reflect the headlights of following vehicles so they changed to black.

I can get the last 6 digits of my 4 current '68s and start a thread in the slab section if you think there may be some further interest and participation for the curious and non believers. The more participation, the closer we could come to knowing the point where they changed. I do have access to another for certain and possibly a 2nd 300 that are not mine that can be checked/verified also.

For the record; the body color tail panel was a '68 Newport thing and if you see it on a '68 300 someone got lazy, Fd up, or has bad taste.

Also the metal steering wheel center cap was a quite early '68 Chrysler thing; the vast majority had the padded center cap in both the 2 and the 3 spoke steering wheel.

Thanks for all the replies guys it's been helpful.
I have a few more questions

1. Are the trunks body color or black

2. Where is a good place to get new trunk weather stripping I'm in Canada so in county would be nice.

3. What exactly is a chrysler new factory built short block. And can I find info on it somewhere. I was looking for my engine vin stamping and found the tag and no number plate. My old man said it's a warranty replaced engine. It still says it's a D440 on the top.

4. Best way to fix the glove box sagging

Thanks for all the replies guys it's been helpful.
I have a few more questions

1. Are the trunks body color or black

2. Where is a good place to get new trunk weather stripping I'm in Canada so in county would be nice.

3. What exactly is a chrysler new factory built short block. And can I find info on it somewhere. I was looking for my engine vin stamping and found the tag and no number plate. My old man said it's a warranty replaced engine. It still says it's a D440 on the top.

4. Best way to fix the glove box sagging
1. Dark / light gray / black spatter paint
2. National Moparts?
3. 68s did not have VIN stamped on the block - you have to decode the Julian calendar date code - and determine if the block was cast a few months before the actual build date of the car

Not all '68s had a vin stamped on the block but some did and it would be found at the very rear of the block by the oil pressure sending unit adjacent to the mating surface of the trans which would also be stamped with vin if the engine is.

I would like to see if it's numbers matching if possible.

Also is it true that there is no stampings or anything that say if it's a TNT engine or just a 440 dressed up

View attachment 145129 This is the tag I found. I will try and look again if there is vin
That is a replacement short block, that is for sure!

The VIN may or may not (usually not) been stamped in the replacement by the mechanic swapping the engine. They were supposed to do that with cars that had the VIN stamped originally.... That said, I always believed that they didn't start stamping the VIN on the block until 1969 models.

My '68 Coronet has its vin stamped on both the engine and the 4 speed and the engine and trans that I plan to put in my RR are a matched pair from another RR and are stamped as well.

Back