Front and rear shock absorbers for my 57 Belvedere 301 v8?

I just seen this post but what was suggested above and what you did would be the only suggestion I could offer.

I'm surprised the shocks were sent fully extended from KYB. I've never seen that.
I'm guessing the boxes they came in were almost twice as long as the shock body itself.
Was there KYB marking on the boxes?

I've read Amazon has been accused of selling fake/knock off merchandise but I don't know how true that is.

If it was me I would call whoever makes the KYB's, and ask them if that's how they ship their front shocks and if the say yes tell them how much of a pain it is to install them.

I just seen this post but what was suggested above and what you did would be the only suggestion I could offer.

I'm surprised the shocks were sent fully extended from KYB. I've never seen that.
I'm guessing the boxes they came in were almost twice as long as the shock body itself.

I've read Amazon has been accused of selling fake/knock off merchandise but I don't know how true that is.

If it was me I would call whoever makes the KYB's, and ask them if that's how they ship their front shocks and if the say yes tell them how much of a pain it is to install them.
My front shocks were fully extended, but the rears were strapped. Not an Amazon purchase.

My front shocks were fully extended, but the rears were strapped. Not an Amazon purchase.

It's been a few years, as posted above, since I bought front KYB's and they were strapped closed.

Maybe cost savings measures.

Maybe cheaper to pay for a longer box than to compress and strap the shock.

Yes, the boxes were long for the front shocks with all the KYB markings and #'s. I think they're real but you're right, they should have been tied in some way. The rear ones were but they're designed differently. The fronts just have the eye hole on one end and a straight shaft at the other. I guess it would be hard to design a tie so you could install it compressed and cut the tie. The only thing helping hold the tie at the shaft end was the washer and rubber grommet. Boy, there's a lot of force in those shocks! Drove it around the block and they feel fine. Question: on the old shocks, if they didn't extend on their own when removed, were they bad?

Yes, the boxes were long for the front shocks with all the KYB markings and #'s. I think they're real but you're right, they should have been tied in some way. The rear ones were but they're designed differently. The fronts just have the eye hole on one end and a straight shaft at the other. I guess it would be hard to design a tie so you could install it compressed and cut the tie. The only thing helping hold the tie at the shaft end was the washer and rubber grommet. Boy, there's a lot of force in those shocks! Drove it around the block and they feel fine. Question: on the old shocks, if they didn't extend on their own when removed, were they bad?
I'm no expert on shocks but I would think if their not gas charged they might not extend on their own.
On the old ones I would move them in and out and see how the resistance feels.

I e-mailed KYB and inquired why the front shocks were not compressed and strapped, below is their reply:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am happy to help! If parts are compressed, it is only for packaging purposes. It depends on the box it is in. The box could be different than before, or it could have been re boxed. Either way, it doesn’t change the part. I do apologize for the inconvenience this causes for installers.

Have a great weekend!

I'm no expert on shocks but I would think if their not gas charged they might not extend on their own.

I e-mailed KYB and inquired why the front shocks were not compressed and strapped, below is their reply:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am happy to help! If parts are compressed, it is only for packaging purposes. It depends on the box it is in. The box could be different than before, or it could have been re boxed. Either way, it doesn’t change the part. I do apologize for the inconvenience this causes for installers.

Have a great weekend!
What did he say???? Wow, whoever wrote that must be in politics too.

Hello,

Have a great weekend!
The fact you brought it up might coax them to change their policy, thanks!

Back