front brake drum 1966 polara

james Hiltunen

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace the front drums on my 1966 dodge polara..the lug bolts were "pinged" at the base so I had to press the hubs out of the drum...I'm replacing the lug bolts and the drums...
Does anyone know if the drums have to be "pinged when I replace the drums?
any info on this would be great!

The word is swaged and as long as the drum fits down flush to the drum, you're fine. No need to swage the studs to the drums.

But, as I said, the drum has to fit down flush... and if you start having to press it on, you'll warp/bend the drum.

BTW, the right way would have been to trim the studs so the drum comes off. Do it with the right tool and you don't have to replace the studs, but it's done.

The word is swaged and as long as the drum fits down flush to the drum, you're fine. No need to swage the studs to the drums.

But, as I said, the drum has to fit down flush... and if you start having to press it on, you'll warp/bend the drum.

BTW, the right way would have been to trim the studs so the drum comes off. Do it with the right tool and you don't have to replace the studs, but it's done.

A 1966 Dodge Polara has two (2) different Front Brake Drum --- 11" x 2 3/4" & 11" x 3" -- and they are "named" by the width of the brake shoes -- because the brake drum always is actually a 1/4" deeper since the brake shoe does not go "lip-to-lip"... There is an 1/8"th of an inch on either side of the brake shoe...

I have N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums for both of these applications, I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for both of these applications... For the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind --- and not ripping up to smithereens these Brake Drums --- like the new Chineseum garbage will certainly do (you can FEEL the difference)....

I have all the Front Wheel Studs --- both **LEFTYS ** and Righties...And frequently they have to be cut out, to separate the drums from the hub.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935..... New York....

A 1966 Dodge Polara has two (2) different Front Brake Drum --- 11" x 2 3/4" & 11" x 3" -- and they are "named" by the width of the brake shoes -- because the brake drum always is actually a 1/4" deeper since the brake shoe does not go "lip-to-lip"... There is an 1/8"th of an inch on either side of the brake shoe...

I have N.O.S. U.S.A. made Brake Drums for both of these applications, I have N.O.S. ++ Asbestos ++ Brake Shoes for both of these applications... For the nicest, softest, smoooooothest braking system known to mankind --- and not ripping up to smithereens these Brake Drums --- like the new Chineseum garbage will certainly do (you can FEEL the difference)....

I have all the Front Wheel Studs --- both **LEFTYS ** and Righties...And frequently they have to be cut out, to separate the drums from the hub.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935..... New York....

thanks nick...I've already got all the rebuild stuff including bearings..but its good to know you have the right stuff if i fall into problems

Back