Front Shocks

Four4tmag

Reaction score
My '70 Fury III convertible needs more control up front. Some people like the "float", but these new AC Delco gas shocks don't feel firm against a torsion bar suspension, and leave to much bounce especially on the freeway. I don't need this big lane monster scaring fellow motorists, so what is the cure?

KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. And make sure your torsion bars are adjusted correctly per the FSM directions.

Make sure the tires have at least 30psi (cold) in them, too. I used to like 30/28 f/r on the old belted tires, but with P-Metrics, probably 32/30?

CBODY67

KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. And make sure your torsion bars are adjusted correctly per the FSM directions.
Thanks. I was leaning towards the KYB next. My understanding of torsion suspension adjustment is if you crank up the tension, you also bring up ride height. I'm just looking for a more steady ride.

Does your car have a front sway bar? How are all the bushings in the front end? Strut rod, lower and upper control arms?

Does your car have a front sway bar? How are all the bushings in the front end? Strut rod, lower and upper control arms?
Yes, it has a front sway bar. Control arm bushings have been replaced in the near past. The front end doesn't wander, although the the steering feels a little over assisted, like a Ford, but it holds a line. Just bouncy.

Yes, it has a front sway bar. Control arm bushings have been replaced in the near past. The front end doesn't wander, although the the steering feels a little over assisted, like a Ford, but it holds a line. Just bouncy.
Some extra caster will help with highway feel. I like .25 Neg camber and as much Pos caster I can get +3deg or more would be great.
Front shock number KG4507 for the KYB.

I have installed KYB gas-adjust on several 1970 C-body convertibles, and love them. Best combo of comfort and handling available IMHO.

In related matters: @Four4tmag -- I know of only one FK5 Fury iii 'vert that was repainted red by a previous owner. Is your car PM27L0D143252 -- a car that lived in Minnesota for 4 decades?

Last edited:
I have installed KYB gas-adjust on several 1970 C-body convertibles, and love them. Best combo of comfort and handling available IMHO.

In related matters: @Four4tmag -- I know of only one FK5 Fury iii 'vert that was repainted red by a previous owner. Is your car PM27L0D143252 -- a car that lived in Minnesota for 4 decades?
That is my VIN! He owned the car for 39 years! I would love to know something of the back story for this car! Were the concealed headlamps and hood installed at the repaint? I'd like to get the paint code for the color, but I was told he passed away. Thanks in advance for anything you can share with me!

I t
That is my VIN! He owned the car for 39 years! I would love to know something of the back story for this car! Were the concealed headlamps and hood installed at the repaint? I'd like to get the paint code for the color, but I was told he passed away. Thanks in advance for anything you can share with me!
I communicated at length with the previous owner, both when the car was for sale and afterwards. Let me collect my notes and we can chat via PM.

Back