Fury Aluminum Grille clean up?

jtalberts

Reaction score
So I have gotten a donor grille from my parts car. A little soap and water will go a long way, but are there any recommended ways to make it shine again?

I removed the oxidation with a buffer wheel on my aluminum thresholds, that's only a temporary fix. I then cleared mine, with automotive clear coat with hardener. They still look great.

Brasso has been around for maybe 100 years. Once I purchased the fancy car show vendor stuff, never again. Over priced and under performance. I also use Brasso on the copper fire extinguisher (yearly) and home drawer pulls. There is no better stuff out there that I know of for the money.

The video shows him sanding the aluminum which cuts though the anodizing. That's fine as long as you realize that it will need to be polished on a regular basis as it will oxidize. As an example, the door sills aren't anodized. You know what they look like after a few years.

Honestly... I think the anodizing was already gone from some of the trim on that truck. He went through it too easily.

I have read about this stuff as a sealant for polished aluminum .... http://www.shineseal.com/ I have never used it nor do I have any first hand experience with the product.

Ouch, steel wool on softer aluminum?

You can't scratch aluminum with cleaner soaked xxx steel wool. It acts as a polish and the brake clean will pull the dirt from the minute pits in the surface. It's espically effective on older grilles and trim.

sanding the aluminum which cuts though the anodizing. That's fine as long as you realize that it will need to be polished on a regular basis as it will oxidize.

Once the anodize is removed the part can be powdercoated with high gloss clear. It'll last forever.

XXX steel wool and brake cleaner, then polish.

I am Fred Flintstone when it comes to ANY bodywork, paint, trim, polish, etc.

So....Will, you recommend the spray brake cleaner and XXX steel wool. What are you thoughts on using Mother's Mag & Wheel polish with the steel wool? I want to be able to polish up stuff and not wreck it. This should also work on those Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers that are stained up from the antifreeze when the water pump let go a few months ago too.

So....Will, you recommend the spray brake cleaner and XXX steel wool. What are you thoughts on using Mother's Mag & Wheel polish with the steel wool? I want to be able to polish up stuff and not wreck it. This should also work on those Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers that are stained up from the antifreeze when the water pump let go a few months ago too.

The XXX steel wool is to fine to cause any damage, espically when used in conjunction with any type of liquid or oil/polish. The brake cleaner just aids in pulling the dirt from the tiny pits & pours found in the surface of older aluminum & stainless trim parts.
I'm not sure how well it works for removing stains such as anti freeze.

The mothers should work fine also, try it on a spare part first and let us know how it works out Bob.

The XXX steel wool is to fine to cause any damage, espically when used in conjunction with any type of liquid or oil/polish. The brake cleaner just aids in pulling the dirt from the tiny pits & pours found in the surface of older aluminum & stainless trim parts.
I'm not sure how well it works for removing stains such as anti freeze.

The mothers should work fine also, try it on a spare part first and let us know how it works out Bob.

I will try it. Thanks

Ouch, steel wool on softer aluminum?

If you use the 0000 steel wool, it will work, did that then Mother's polish on many pieces.

da8ca385-d83c-4a41-a2c5-7a4bcb0fa7bb_400.jpg

da8ca385-d83c-4a41-a2c5-7a4bcb0fa7bb_400.jpg

If you use the 0000 steel wool, it will work, did that then Mother's polish on many pieces.

Depending on the supplier, "0000" and "xxx" are the same grade of steel wool, (very fine). For best results It should be used with some type of cleaner/solvent and then apply polish in a conventional way.

Back