Furyous

FB819EFD-2721-4F47-8D18-FD6AF33F40E6.jpeg
DB932310-8525-40CD-AD26-9FE8DBB5B9E5.jpeg
I finally got FURYIOUS back out. Took her to Virginia Motorsports Park today for some test passes. The temp was 94 degrees & humidity was @ 50. Heat index at the track was 101. It was smoking hot. Not ideal conditions to test in but I needed to get her out. Despite the heat she performed well & has her best #’s to date. Notice the guy behind the Mustang with the towel on his head. It was that hot. Track workers with towels. The third pass was her best. She clicked off a 8.56 1/8th mile & a 13.26 quarter. This in the heat with a 3.08 (or whatever) rear gear on a aged sure grip. Crossing the 1/8th mile stripe in second gear. The ticket is from the second pass. So clearly she’s got potential.

9A63B790-4A3E-46B8-BC12-54EC7BABDE72.jpeg
A6B8B181-8C74-4801-829C-4655147CBC87.jpeg
55613244-DAE5-470B-8E2B-D0B571F0F5FA.jpeg
Ordered the name FURYIOUS online. They came in today & I installed them this afternoon. Only $38 bucks. Took less than an hour to install. I think it looks good. Just for fun

0C169118-5461-467F-B66A-38CDDB45EAD7.jpeg
7B70D311-F6E6-4CAA-9B48-4E9DD8DBAA60.jpeg
Entered FURYIOUS in her first race. Made 3 qualifying passes. Each one got better. The third it clicked off a 8.50 making that the best pass so far. Lost round one. Paid a visit to the buy back window. Won round 2 & round 3. Got some data & much needed seat time. Temps were good today for July. Humidity started creeping up as the evening came in. This track is notorious for that. I’ve run this track for years & have seen condensation on the windows of the cars in the late rounds. Like dew. Would have to wipe my windows before I went to staging lanes. So having dealt with that before I knew it was going to slow the car down just didn’t know how much. Well I Red lite so I ran all out & it slowed 8 hundredths from its pass at 11:30 am even though the temp had dropped 5 degrees. All in all a good day.

D12B31E7-2EB4-4990-A35B-F1093792DF9D.jpeg
Took FURYIOUS out Saturday night to a different track. Wanted to see if some adjustments I had made helped. Severe T storms about 20 miles south of the track, but the forecast for that zip code was good. Very humid. Man it was sticky but overcast. I made a pass in the right lane & she went 8.55. Very bumpy especially towards the finish line. Even though a regular at that track came up to me to warm me about the bumps I was still surprised. I decided to switch to the left lane. I made 4 passes on that lane over the night before I eliminated myself. All 4 passes she ran 8.53 That’s pretty darn good. Only shifting one time due to the 3.08 gear. I think that’s why it was so consistent. This has been an experiment to stay with the high gear ratio & it appears to be working. I’ve had the car out to 3 tracks & it’s slowly getting faster. The 60 ft is now at 1.91 largely due to some carb tuning. The car attracts a lot of attention & most think a 4.56 gear would wake her up & likely pick up 3 tenths. I think so too as she pulls strong down track. I’m working on a 3.55 Sure Grip. I think it will be perfect for the car if I want to stay with the one shift thing. If the car responds to the 3.55 gear the way I think it will I will build a 3.55 with a spool. The only problem I’m having with the car now is I haven’t found the tree yet. The 3.55 will help with that some but I may have to deep stage. Anyway progress is good. I have not yet installed the recurved dizzy I got from Halifax Hops. Soon. Also bought some different carb spacers I want to try. Hopefully I can continue to chip away at the ET while only having to shift once. Anyway this has been fun to finally get the car to this tunning stage. Here is a pic from Saturday nights first pass

Last edited:
972D84A8-F60F-4F4E-B4E0-C057BBF41C3D.jpeg
Well I took FURYIOUS to Virginia Motorsports Park for the Mega MOPAR Action show. Entered the car in the popular 1/4 mile Pro class. The track had problems calling the wrong cars to the lanes. Not turning on the timers etc. Anyway I have good news & bad. The good news is FURYIOUS got her first bye run based on reaction time. Then proceeded to march her way to Semi-Final finish before I broke the rear end. She’s a clunkin’ & going to have to replace the center section. The pic shows her sitting under a shade tree over near the car show paddock. There’s a reason why she’s there. Later a Hellcat Challenger Drag Car joined her under the tree as we waited on the track officials to get the staging lanes sorted out. My purse money is not enough to cover the repair of the rear but will help.

Last edited:
Bummer but at least you made the Semi's. This was the 3.08 rear that you were changing anyway?
At least you made passes this year, mine is not making it, too much life getting in my way. I did come up with a solution to fix my compression ratio a bit and make the cam work harder.

Back