Fuselage - Drums to Disc Brake Conversion

I'm still around. I haven't put it back on the road yet...had to chase down a few other nuisance things that are going.....nothing worth posting about......but since the car is in the air I might as well hit it all now.

So I'm bleeding the pass side caliper.....and I noticed there is fluid dribbling from where the hose connects to the caliper as the brake pedal goes down. It's barely noticeable...but its there. The hose came with a washer (looks like copper). Should there also be a rubber seal or "O" ring on this? The same thing is occurring on the drivers side as well...leaking.

20160518_152910.jpg

20160518_153303.jpg

No O ring. Try tightening it more. The copper gasket has to deform to the surface to seal.

IMO it just needs to be re-seated, at least thats free to try.

unattach the hose from the caliper, and while putting it back on, keep slight tension on the hose, pull 'away' from the caliper while screwing the fitting on - trying to keep the hose straight in line with the screw. i dont know how to say it. i think it was not flush, and needs to be.

i also tend to spin threaded things 'left' until i get to the start of the threads, then tighten. you can feel it in your fingers when it hits the start of the threads.

HTH - and -

try not to die -

- saylor

I've got both of those screwed in pretty tight...I'm afraid if I bear down on it more it could strip the thread.

IMO it just needs to be re-seated, at least thats free to try.

unattach the hose from the caliper, and while putting it back on, keep slight tension on the hose, pull 'away' from the caliper while screwing the fitting on - trying to keep the hose straight in line with the screw. i dont know how to say it. i think it was not flush, and needs to be.

i also tend to spin threaded things 'left' until i get to the start of the threads, then tighten. you can feel it in your fingers when it hits the start of the threads.

HTH - and -

try not to die -

- saylor
I'll give that a shot.

I've got both of those screwed in pretty tight...I'm afraid if I bear down on it more it could strip the thread.
Then take it apart, check for dirt or rough spots on the sealing surface and put it back together.

If in the process you tightened these and then loosened them, they may have deformed already... if you don't get an absolutely prefect seal or see they have mashed down at all... just get new ones. Shouldn't be hard to match up from an assortment... hell to get the pizza face kid at the parts counter to find. A decent hardware may even have them in stock.

edit: Just ask for copper sealing rings... bring an old one to match hole sizes, thickness may vary... its ok as a rule, don't go paper thin.

Last edited:
If in the process you tightened these and then loosened them, they may have deformed already... if you don't get an absolutely prefect seal or see they have mashed down at all... just get new ones. Shouldn't be hard to match up from an assortment... hell to get the pizza face kid at the parts counter to find. A decent hardware may even have them in stock.

edit: Just ask for copper sealing rings... bring an old one to match hole sizes, thickness may vary... its ok as a rule, don't go paper thin.
I dont get it though.....neither side is sealing properly. The end of the hose just screws into the threaded hole on the caliper. Not much to it.

I dont get it though.....neither side is sealing properly. The end of the hose just screws into the threaded hole on the caliper. Not much to it.
Your correct... thanks for jogging my brain, when apart use a tooth pic or some thing to measure the depth of the caliper threads and compare that to the hose end... may have a parts mismatch. If the hose threads are too long you might cure this by filing off a tiny amount of material from the hose, a thicker sealing ring could do it too, but yours looked to be pretty thick. Whatever the case, you are very close so your problem is going to be some thing really small. If the threads look to have good depth, just try new rings first.

While fooling around with this that hose will want to drip all of the fluid away... find some rubber caps that fit snug or a small piece of hose and plug the end... it will save you having to bleed an empty master cylinder circuit.

Does not appear to be any damage to the threads; washers seem to be in decent shape also - safe to assume each hose is screwing in properly then?

20160519_093033.jpg

20160519_093004.jpg

20160519_093256.jpg

It isn't the threads that are in question. It's the sealing surfaces that contact the washers and the washers themselves.

Those washers don't look healthy. Replace them.

When you install them, keep in mind they are intended for one use only. Loosen the hose at the other end so the hose is free to rotate. Wipe everything off, some brake cleaner and a clean rag. Pay special attention to the surface that the washer contacts on both the caliper and the new hose.

The old washers look like they have been "squished" (for lack of a better word) so any worries about the threads are moot.

Tighten them once... very tight... don't worry, you'll break the fittings well before you'd strip the threads. Remember, one use only... don't tighten and take them back off. Tighten the other end of the hose and rebleed your brakes.

It isn't the threads that are in question. It's the sealing surfaces that contact the washers and the washers themselves.

Those washers don't look healthy. Replace them.

When you install them, keep in mind they are intended for one use only. Loosen the hose at the other end so the hose is free to rotate. Wipe everything off, some brake cleaner and a clean rag. Pay special attention to the surface that the washer contacts on both the caliper and the new hose.

The old washers look like they have been "squished" (for lack of a better word) so any worries about the threads are moot.

Tighten them once... very tight... don't worry, you'll break the fittings well before you'd strip the threads. Remember, one use only... don't tighten and take them back off. Tighten the other end of the hose and rebleed your brakes.
Ok. I think I have a couple of brand new washers exactly like the "squished" ones. This is not something that normal occurs though, or is it a hit or miss thing? I wasn't expecting brake fluid to find its way out from that area...and on BOTH calipers. I initially thought it was the bleeder valves were left too loose.

Ok. I think I have a couple of brand new washers exactly like the "squished" ones. This is not something that normal occurs though, or is it a hit or miss thing? I wasn't expecting brake fluid to find its way out from that area...and on BOTH calipers. I initially thought it was the bleeder valves were left too loose.

It's hard to say because the view is from my recliner and we're not looking over your shoulder.

It could be anything from there being crap under the sealing surfaces to something as simple as it wasn't tightened enough.

Back