General A727 Potential R&R questions/suggestions.

I considered moving to the 383 or boring out the 361, but i learned that the main bearing saddles are quite thin on the 361's, if i put more power through the old motor with it bored out to a 383, i think i'd put too much strain on the bottom end. and making a 361 "Go-fast" has quite a charm to it, i believe there are some folks running 10's or 12's with the 361.

But before i'd do anything with the cam, i'm working on getting 915 heads and optimize the engine with near or factory equipment. The Lunati/Voodoo cams are on my watch list for sure though, something like a 264/264 cam, with more valve overlap as Cbody67 has mentioned. i believe Big john or Highway CRZR mentioned that also.

I indeed was looking at gear sets @ Cope racing transmissions, but really, i just need to be realistic, the 361 is a small motor & it's in a 4000Lbs Chrysler lead sled, not exactly a "nimble" package, just wallows from place to place, but sure wouldn't mind some more "get-up-N-go" power delivery.

Agreed, i looked at the GV OD for so long, but i learned the Pushbutton A727's won't work unless a newer A727 is in place, or a pain in the @$$ conversion kit where i might not be able to make the push button's work. JUST to get the OD, naw the whole charm and character of having a pushbutton car is gone at that point.

As the cable-shift/push button TF also usually included the tailshaft-mounted parking brake, is the parking brake issue more important than the cable shift as to the GV use?

The 361 4bbls were usually in the '62-style B-body-related Furys and Polaras, which were lighter by a few hundred pounds. In one respect, you might look for a '72 or so Chrysler with a 400 2bbl motor to rebuild. That way, you'll get the largest bore so the 2.08/1.74 valves will be a bit less shrouded by the cyl walls. Then get some pistons for a 9.5 or so CR. Finding one of those motors should also get you the later cyl heads, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

As the cable-shift/push button TF also usually included the tailshaft-mounted parking brake, is the parking brake issue more important than the cable shift as to the GV use?

The 361 4bbls were usually in the '62-style B-body-related Furys and Polaras, which were lighter by a few hundred pounds. In one respect, you might look for a '72 or so Chrysler with a 400 2bbl motor to rebuild. That way, you'll get the largest bore so the 2.08/1.74 valves will be a bit less shrouded by the cyl walls. Then get some pistons for a 9.5 or so CR. Finding one of those motors should also get you the later cyl heads, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
Hi again,

According to GV and other sources, the OD will not work as the rear pump is present, along with the park lock.

It's a shame, but I'm not too swell with the idea of butchering the pushbutton/parking lever to make the OD work.

But there are other area's that I can compensate, I.E different lower gears in the A727 planetary without getting rid of the 2.76 gears, it's a round-about way though.

The 400's were another consideration, but I'll need a cherry picker and a truck to haul the engine in, so many things to consider!

In the meantime I'll keep my head on a swivel while disassembling the transmission.

So I've got around to partially disassembling the transmission. To my untrained eye, Things don't look good in here.

Both front & rear planetaries have nicks and a consistent scratches on the gears.

There was a thrust washer missing, and someone has stacked a steel driving disc against another driving disc, not the clutches but the steels. To my knowledge, there's an extra clutch steel discs in the front clutch pack.
5 instead of 4.

The pan magnet I had installed has a lot of goop on it, and the pan has small metal shavings.

The rear clutch drum clutches had different clutch patterns, circular! I've never seen that before.
Still plenty of life in the rear clutch drum clutches.

Nasty gash in the front planetary, pointed by the finger.

The more dubious things I uncover, this might have been the fabled transmission assembled on a "Friday"

PXL_20231230_191824703.MP.jpg

PXL_20231230_191829943.jpg

PXL_20231230_191741354.jpg

PXL_20231230_213600171.jpg

PXL_20231230_213332910.jpg

PXL_20231230_214025741.jpg

PXL_20231230_214344278.jpg

PXL_20231230_215002913.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Those planetraries should be easy to source if you need to replace them. I probably got good used ones.
Yes I considered salvaging what I can reuse, but according to the rebuild book by: Tom hand
*If the planetary gears are damaged, the sun gear is damaged also*

I might just do a bare minimum upgrade to a 4 pinion planetary from Cope transmissions.
But that's still up to debate.

Have you had that pan off before? If so how many miles since the pan was cleaned out? I have opened plenty worse transmission pans.

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

Image 2023-03-15 at 6.51 PM.jpeg

Regarding the how many miles ago the pan was dropped, I can't say for sure since my Speedo is busted, along with the odometer.

I was daily driving to college back and forth maybe 2 times a week, 1 way 16 miles, so 64 miles per week, but I had other errands I was doing
(groceries and visiting friends and whatnot)

So maybe 11K miles per year?

And I've been going to college for about 5 years so it comes to around 55K miles, yup I think I got good miles out of this transmission.

Regarding the how many miles ago the pan was dropped, I can't say for sure since my Speedo is busted, along with the odometer.

I was daily driving to college back and forth maybe 2 times a week, 1 way 16 miles, so 64 miles per week, but I had other errands I was doing
(groceries and visiting friends and whatnot)

So maybe 11K miles per year?

And I've been going to college for about 5 years so it comes to around 55K miles, yup I think I got good miles out of this transmission.
55k on that pan, looks like it has dropped all it was going to. Thats pretty good looking.

If you need any mojo videos to help you out, Richard of Precision Transmission is back up doing videos of after retiring/selling business and health issues and just recently did a 727 teardown.
While he mostly does GM stuff and seems to have a lot of truck transmissions in his shop and the latest 727 is a manual throttle body build, he's a good knowable watch and go back and look through his older videos for more 727 vids.
Richard & Teresa Educational Transmission Videos is his Tube channel.

I'll try to see if I can find his older Precision Transmission channel that may have more content than his new retired channel.

Yeah here's his old Precision Transmission channel:

Last edited:
55k on that pan, looks like it has dropped all it was going to. Thats pretty good looking.
You know I'd tell you what, I think the trans would have dropped "everything" without my intervention. The trans was making a horrible noise. Glad I did that before it got to that point.

If you need any mojo videos to help you out, Richard of Precision Transmission is back up doing videos of after retiring/selling business and health issues and just recently did a 727 teardown.
While he mostly does GM stuff and seems to have a lot of truck transmissions in his shop and the latest 727 is a manual throttle body build, he's a good knowable watch and go back and look through his older videos for more 727 vids.
Richard & Teresa Educational Transmission Videos is his Tube channel.

I'll try to see if I can find his older Precision Transmission channel that may have more content than his new retired channel.

Yeah here's his old Precision Transmission channel:

[/URL]

Thanks I'll check it out.
Appreciate it!

OP; what engine in that 880? I have a 64 727 here that would be a great one to rebuild and then swap in when you get it back from the shop. Located near Chicago

A while back I've been perusing the catalogue for a 260/260 cam but it's comp cams. And recently I've seen/heard comp cams had various cam failures.

So I might consider Lunatic, voodoo cams.
there are other cam companies taht make similar spec cams that dont have the problems of Comp. Also check out Oregon cams, they can regrind your original into whatever spec you may want for less than a new cam would cost. They also reface lifters so you dont have the metallurgy problems of current day parts.

Back