Giving New Life To An LL1 Dark Turquoise 1967 Plymouth VIP, A True Garage Find.....

Makes it hard for those of us that live vicariously thru others to get by. :mob:
Get crackin'! :)

Makes it hard for those of us that live vicariously thru others to get by. :mob:
Get crackin'! :)

I know I'm sorry we're slackin' over here:lol:, in all fairness though we gotta get 2 cars ready for Carlisle yet and still get the Sport Fury convertibles engine done first. Then onto this one, so we probably won't touch it again till August or thereafter.

I know I'm sorry we're slackin' over here:lol:, in all fairness though we gotta get 2 cars ready for Carlisle yet and still get the Sport Fury convertibles engine done first. Then onto this one, so we probably won't touch it again till August or thereafter.
I understand the need to do other things. I have been trying to catch up on gardening and beating back the weeds.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE:

I got a little update on the car for everybody although its not much of one. Today my stepdad had his glass guy come over and take the rear window out so we can start working on the rust thats back there. More to come......

VIP 1.jpg

VIP 2.jpg

VIP 3.jpg

VIP 4.jpg

Hi All,

I got a long overdue update on the VIP. A LOT has been done... and actually most of it has. Its not on the road yet, but its REALLY close. My stepdad is so far along on the car that a week ago he cut off the old single exhaust, and ordered the new TTI dual exhaust kit from Mancini. The old back window channel was fixed and the window was put back in, an automatic trunk release was wired in now we just gotta find one, the seats armrests and seatbelts were all taken out cleaned and put back in, 2 build sheets were found then taken out of the seats and put in the house for safe keeping, the radiator was recored to a 3 row and painted, the timing chain and water pump were done, the whole engine was cleaned and sadly repainted, all the air conditioning parts were taken off and painted, the radiator hose was replaced and a couple other hoses too I believe, the painted valve covers were swapped to chrome ones with new gaskets, the original points distributor was replaced with an electronic ignition one and electronic ignition was installed and wired and now starts the car so the old distributor is for sale if anyone is interested just PM me, the old stock intake manifold was sadly replaced with a Weiland one and is for sale if anyone is interested just pm me, the original stromberg carburetor was replaced with an Edelbrock AVS one and is also for sale if anyone is interested, the original single snorkel air cleaner was replaced with a used dual snorkel and painted. the spark plug wires that came with the car were replaced with aftermarkets, the patina under the hood was cleaned and covered with a clear coat to protect it, the original washer bottle was replaced because it was cracked, the battery tray was repainted, the front sub frame section where the firewall is forward was painted black to protect the rust and make it look nicer now that the engine is painted, a right hand outside mirror was added, the old stock single exhaust was taken off, and a new full 2.5 inch TTI kit with mufflers was ordered. I told you a lot was done, and most (if not all) of this will hopefully come in photos. Lets start off pictures with the back window getting fixed from September 12th 2023.....

VIP window 1.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Heres a more close up picture of the last one. My stepdad says he's never seen a middle cross brace before.

IMG_0673.jpg

Upon taking the back seat out, my stepdad noticed all of these extra clips and hardware under the seat. I was not there when he took the seats out but he told me thats where he found them.....

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

He also told me he found this under the seats too, which I again was not there when he found it but that's what he tells me. I went in the garage one day to check the progress when he was in there working on the car and it was on his toolbox, he says "look what I found under the seats". I love little trinkets like this. We seem to think its the backing for the air conditioning sticker that's in the upper right corner on the car. Which would make sense, what's everyone elses opinions has anyone ever discovered one??.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Moving onto more of fixing the window channel next time soon, but I figured I would get everyone waiting in suspense with we fixed it with which was this here and some body fiberglass filler. More soon.....

IMG_0712.jpg

Congratulations on all the progress. I'm guessing you will have it on the road this spring?

Oh yeah most definitely, maybe even sooner than that with the rate we’re goin. I will definitely post pictures of the first time when the car is on the road, and at its first show.

He also told me he found this under the seats too, which I again was not there when he found it but that's what he tells me. I went in the garage one day to check the progress when he was in there working on the car and it was on his toolbox, he says "look what I found under the seats". I love little trinkets like this. We seem to think its the backing for the air conditioning sticker that's in the upper right corner on the car. Which would make sense, what's everyone elses opinions has anyone ever discovered one??.

View attachment 637588

View attachment 637590
I’ve found those in a car or 2 and I think that’s what it is.
you wired for electric trunk release? In ‘68 I believe it would have been vacuum. That being said I do have several working electric release assemblies available.

I’ve found those in a car or 2 and I think that’s what it is.
you wired for electric trunk release? In ‘68 I believe it would have been vacuum. That being said I do have several working electric release assemblies available.

Yes we wired for an electric trunk release. My stepdad bought a copper ‘69 Charger last year and the previous owner put that in the car, and he loves it so much he wants it for all the other cars. You would be correct with ‘68 having vacuum release, because my stepdad put one into his friend Robs (1968Chryslers) cars a couple years ago. I will private message you about your releases.

Big shout out and thank you goes out to Matt (or @detmatt) here because he mentioned above that he had some electric trunk releases to help us with our VIP project since we wired for one and we needed one. I contacted him about them, a deal was made between him and my stepdad, and they came today. Thanks Matt! I will take pictures when its in the car and post them. More updates on these and the car to come soon! Here is what they look like…..

B52E51E6-B9BA-4486-A00E-A19704224BAA.jpeg

Update on the car….

Mainly, the old original 2 barrel intake and stromberg carburetor were tossed at the dump today. The old 2 barrel air cleaner was too. Its really too bad to because I really wanted those at first to hopefully put it back to original someday, but at this point in my opinion the cars not original and really a survivor anymore anyway so I guess it doesn’t matter. The new TTI exhaust was put on, an NOS hood edge molding was also put on because the old one was all sand pitted and we think the original owner was a tailgater, an NOS grille was put in because it was sand pitted like the original hood edge molding, NOS headlight bezels were added, a good used front bumper was added that was originally on our Sport Fury convertible because the old original one was completely dull and would not come back to shine, NOS front bumper guards were added, the under side of the hood was repainted, another piece under the hood was repainted, multiple screws and bolts were repainted, the small side fender “commando v8” badges were repainted, and the whole car was compounded and paste waxed. Next up on the list is repainting another trunk finish panel and swapping it over, probably replace some taillights with NOS ones, fix the headlight switch because it don’t work right, get it vin checked, and register it. I personally also went to staples and copied all the original paperwork we got with it, and ordered a dark green binder so I can start making an information book for it for its first debut show in May.

More to hopefully come soon…..

Last edited:
I'm curious about the electric trunk release. I know in '67 they had vacuum releases. Was electric also offered that year? And why do you need 3 of them?

Also- can you post a close-up pic of your fender tag?

Last edited:
I'm curious about the electric trunk release. I know in '67 they had vacuum releases. Was electric also offered that year? And why do you need 3 of them?

Also- can you post a close-up pic of your fender tag?

I don’t believe and am 90 percent sure that electric releases were offered in ‘67, I believe it was 1970 and later although I could be wrong. Here is a post I found from 2020 about this….. https://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopa...lease-from-c-body-maybe-new-yorker.53075/have. We have 3 releases because we’re planning on putting them in a few of the other cars. I could get a picture of the tag and post it at a later time, no problem. I’m surprised I didn’t post it yet already honestly, I thought I did.

Back