Goodbye console nuts

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since day 1 I have been trying to get my console lid to stay on. The spring is so strong the crappy nuts never hold on to the studs.

I finally came to a revelation to thread the studs with a 8-32 die and then use a lock nut. For the first time ever the console lid fits nice and tight.

This has drove me nuts for 3 1/2 years. Goodbye console nuts. :)
Console nuts.jpg

IMG_20160429_225617107.jpg

IMG_20160429_225723159.jpg

Glad you got it figured out before the museum show!

Good job. You said these nuts are driving me nuts. That,s funny. :)

Last edited:
3 1/2 years ?? That's a long time of exasperation about some nuts :lol:
If something was bothering about my car I think I couldn't hold it thát long...
Good solution thoug..:thumbsup:

Have you seen what he's done to this car in three years???

I thought I had it fixed 3 or 4 times. I bought new nuts and a new spring, but always back to square one. I am also going to thread my badges and trunk trim too. My newly re-chromed Chrysler badge studs have too much chrome build up, so the original speed nuts won't fit.

img_20160416_172951445-jpg.76463

Since day 1 I have been trying to get my console lid to stay on. The spring is so strong the crappy nuts never hold on to the studs.

I finally came to a revelation to thread the studs with a 8-32 die and then use a lock nut. For the first time ever the console lid fits nice and tight.

This has drove me nuts for 3 1/2 years. Goodbye console nuts. :)
View attachment 77712
View attachment 77713
View attachment 77714

Well ther ya go. I didn't think of that. My console on the sport fury was stripped out, so the acorns just skipped off the threads as soon as I tried to snug them down. I re threaded the studs like you did but the hex nuts just didnt look right. I wanted to keep the "original" look so what i did was I cut the bottoms out of the acorns and epoxied in the hex nuts. So basically i "hid" the hex nuts inside the acorns so the set up would look like nothing was done to change it. It works just fine but it probably would have been easier to go with the lock nuts. Great fix!

Every time I see the title to this thread I think of the old 7up commercial.

I thought I had it fixed 3 or 4 times. I bought new nuts and a new spring, but always back to square one. I am also going to thread my badges and trunk trim too. My newly re-chromed Chrysler badge studs have too much chrome build up, so the original speed nuts won't fit.

img_20160416_172951445-jpg.76463
Use some caution there, the potmetal of an emblem stud might be more likely to twist out vs the sheetmetal stud/clip used in a console, esp if there's hard chrome on there!

Back