Has anyone ever won a car show with their C body?

well in 2000 at the letter car show in newark , ca . a 57 300 c won best of and commanded the highest points of the show . the car was a special ordered car by an exec at chrysler at the time . it's wasn't a red or black nor white one . it was a one off , color was close to turbine bronze , in fact there was some issue about the color being correct . but gary goers was the under carriage judge and he came over and in formed the judges that the judging ref book did not have the full range of that color and the car fell well within the range of that color that chrysler offered at that year . it was a great show , and of all the letter cars mine was the only 64 300 k there . my beater 64 k with vintage american torq thrust n bf t/a's . we were parked in the horse shoe with all the other beauties , right next to a guy had drove his 65 300 l 4spd from new york state .

Scan0021_0021.jpg

Scan0029_0029.jpg

oh by the way , there was at least 5 detailers working on that car and a overseer barking at them in german . i guess that works , it was gorges . you could have eaten off any part of that machine . including the engine compartment . and i must point out there was not one tool mark on any of the fasteners painted or plated . that is tough to do .

I'm not against trophies, I just don't ever go to a show expecting to get one. All my rides are cars that have weathered the storm, not much shiney paint in the fleet, but even they get some love.
I went to a local All Mopar show last year. With Covid, they hadn't had one in a couple years, so I was looking forward to it.

They decided to do a "no judge" type show, more of a cruise. Sounds good, right? Well, IMHO they missed it by a mile. That little element of judging that we say we don't care about was missing. It was just like a cruise, except I had to pay to get in.

The end of the show was so anti-climactic. There was no excitement of seeing who won the classes or "best of" categories. It was lame at best.

They did it again this year and I didn't bother to attend. The attendance was way down from the reports I got.

Next year is probably up in the air... The president of that particular club dropped dead in his driveway a few weeks ago and that's all I'll say about it.

well in 2000 at the letter car show in newark , ca . a 57 300 c won best of and commanded the highest points of the show . the car was a special ordered car by an exec at chrysler at the time . it's wasn't a red or black nor white one . it was a one off , color was close to turbine bronze , in fact there was some issue about the color being correct . but gary goers was the under carriage judge and he came over and in formed the judges that the judging ref book did not have the full range of that color and the car fell well within the range of that color that chrysler offered at that year . it was a great show , and of all the letter cars mine was the only 64 300 k there . my beater 64 k with vintage american torq thrust n bf t/a's . we were parked in the horse shoe with all the other beauties , right next to a guy had drove his 65 300 l 4spd from new york state .

View attachment 613785

View attachment 613786
I think the difference is that was a show that had real judges, as you mention Gary Goers as the undercarriage judge and reference books etc.

The vast majority of the shows we attend are small shows with either car clubs or places like volunteer fire depts. hosting the show where old uncle Bob is in charge of figuring out who has the prettiest car.

yes it was a national letter car points show and they all wanted the highest points to get the best resale value . in fact that 57 300 c bought the highest sum on the retail market i believe . if fact we all lined up and drove through the center of town with a marching band in front of the line of cars , even had baton twirlers . it was quite the spectacle i've ever been involved in .

As mentioned above. I also have a wide valve cover (Hemi) and some triple carb (Sixpack) cars and even my buddies have commented over the years that they are always amazed at how many comments, Compliment or stories that my New Yorker brings up. Almost as many as the other cars.

Unfortunately when you have the judging at some of the shows it either becomes a popularity contest or people go with rarity of the model or brightest color. I remember a number of years ago doing the jugding at a mopar show and I picked a green 68 barracuda for best of show. It was not flashy, or a hemi, but an incredible restoration. A number or people bitched, but the car was by far better quality than all the muscle cars and no one could argue that. The owner was shocked and said sometimes he never places, because he kept it as F1 green and a slant 6

I have gotten to the point where I enjoy a good cruise night more, just talking with friends. Some of the shows have become just a group of trophy hunters. Plus having a C-Body in some people's minds is like driving a dump truck or something. I have taken trophies at Carlisle and other larger events, so I am very happy with a few of those awards. Many times I could be parked next to a multi-colored rusted mustang and wont even place. I go, hang for a while, support the charity and head out before the crowd leaves. My wife and I take it out for rides, grab and ice cream and enjoy it to the fullest. I have a number of other cars, but my Fury, I enjoy the most.

Last edited:
I have never tried, but I have brought Tux back to a very presentable state of ownership. I don't leave the hood open unless asked to show. I am usually away from the car looking at others and talking just like the show is for.
I have been surprised 4 times so far in the last year to receive any mention of good job with Tux. It is a nice acknowledgement but not an addictive pursuit for me.

IMG_4520.jpeg

IMG_4522.jpeg

IMG_4521.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4502.jpeg

Having a "forward look" car, I don't think I'm in the same category as your C bodies. I have won a few trophies with the car in my avatar, both in Mopar and non-Mopar shows. I prefer cruise nights more. One show I went to was sponsored by a local Mopar show and had a nice turnout. A group of guys I was talking to were complaining that nonmembers were winning trophies over members. I had won a trophy and was not a member. Like I said, I prefer to go to cruise nights.

I entered my 75 Royal and 70 El Camino last year at a charity event. I had the only El Camino and only one of two 70s full size sedans. The other was a 77 Continental that had more plastic in it than any of the Kardashian's. Didn't even get noticed. I'll never enter one again. I'll go and drink and talk, but I won't enter. I guess a 12 year restoration and a 48k mile original sedan no one knows is a Dodge, fades to the back in a sea of tri five Chevys, Challengers and Chargers

My '67 300 won 2nd place at both car shows it showed at in 2008. But it was out of 3 cars total at both, and Scott won 1st with his Newport convertible at the San Joaquin Valley Mopars show in 2008, too.

SJVM-FallFinale-10-11-08_005.jpg

The shows in my area are held by car clubs. If you’re not in the club you’re not really welcome and you’re sure not going to win anything.

For a car show with knowledgeable judges I'm not original enough and in the custom classes I'm not custom/nice enough. Only real hope are the "top 20" type show which I have won before but being a black convertible helps get you noticed. I did get a kids choice award which was Many Mo and Jack bobble heads. Like this one the best. For me its like golf - I'm not good at it and it takes a lot of time. I generally don't like staying till 2-3. On the other hand most of the shows are for charity so I'll show up right before reg closes and get the farthest away parking spot. Whatever. At the last show I talked to the guy next to me for a long time. That is the fun. Lazy camping from your trunk! He had a 12k mile perfect 2000 mustang cobra that he was very proud of. It was just a top 20 show so his car was not a winner. Pretty boring next to me with the 17' hot tub on wheels. It is about the people and their creativity. For some it's their only hobby. Where else do you get to see a lowered big rig, turbo s10s with exhaust out the front fenders, perfectly preserved real wood station wagons, drag cars that evidently must be started every hour, a firetruck, rat rods that look wonderfully crappy, and a Pinto. It's also interesting to hear the 60s music starting to get updated. These cars will outlive us.

Where else do you get to see a lowered big rig, turbo s10s with exhaust out the front fenders, perfectly preserved real wood station wagons, drag cars that evidently must be started every hour, a firetruck, rat rods that look wonderfully crappy, and a Pinto.
I always try to make it to the all makes show an hour north of me, the variety is wide ranging, and people rotate their cars each year. Plus they have a huge swap where you can buy anything, including the kitchen sink.

The shows in my area are held by car clubs. If you’re not in the club you’re not really welcome and you’re sure not going to win anything.
our club just had its show and our members aren't allowed to be entered...hadda park in the "club row" rather than with the other C's where it would have been better to hang with everyone

Back