Have you ever had this happen

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was outside starting to remove parts in order to replace a clutch. Put a 1 1/4" socket on a 3/4" drive and 18 inch extension. Then slid a 4 foot extension over that for more leverage. Pulled and pulled and guess what? The piece of metal on the extension that you attach the socket to sheared half way off. I guess that has ended my task for the day. With CV axles in the transmission stays in.

Last edited:
Yup done that a few times with cheap off shore 3/8 extensions. My 3/4 drive set is old, old Craftsman...one of my cherished tool sets from my grandfather. Never had a problem with it...I've even stood and bounced on the ratchet trying to break loose....like you, CV joint hub nuts. I'm 275lbs.

It was my 1975 Craftsman extension. Mean 18" breaker bar.

So I just pulled the whole assembly out, hub and axles, to take down to the HORNET's machine shop tomorrow morning. So, besides swapping springs from old to new struts since we have large vices, we'll get the torch out and take care of that hub nut. Then just a matter of pressing the axle out which will be a piece of cake given the tools in the shop.

Last edited:
I did that once on a Craftsman socket when I tried to break a lug nut with a breaking bar and about a 4 foot black pipe on it and then proceeded to do the same to my cousins socket that I borrow from his shop. Both were replaced without question. Next time I used an impact socket no problem.

Now it turns out the drivers inner tie rod doesn't want to come off. Using the correct removal tool and another breaker bar the opening of the tool started to deform. Passenger side was easy.Time for a propane torch to heat it. Just have to figure out how to put a tool to it without burning my fingers off after heating.

Some inner tierods use set pins/screws, that you need to remove first. I would be cautious using heat to loosen a hub nut, the wheel bearing and it's grease are directly behind the nut.

Unless the adapter is a high quality piece, it is an inherent weak link in this situation. I do use such adapters from time to time (3/8" drive sockets with 1/2" drive breaker bar) bearing in mind that the maximum applied torque should not exceed what the smaller section of the adapter will bear.

Some inner tierods use set pins/screws, that you need to remove first. I would be cautious using heat to loosen a hub nut, the wheel bearing and it's grease are directly behind the nut.

Inner tie rods have no pins as one came off easily.

On a good note was down on the ship this morning. While Tom was welding up a new 7 ft. ladder I worked on the struts. Disassembled and transferred the springs over to the new ones and assembled. Then we put one hub in a big vise and hit it twice with an acetylene torch. Didn't get anywhere. Tom goes hmmm. That means he is getting a little irritated at the nut. Tom is very understated. Former Seabee and retired firefighter who does, fixes, and fabricates anything the ship may need. He gets his electric impact wrench and one nut takes 40 seconds before it starts to move. The other comes off in 10 seconds.

After that there is our mandatory hour sitting in the A Divison Office shooting the scuttle butt while drinking either coffee or water. Of course joined by a three others from restoration and security. Then I have to lug all the stuff back up from deck 3 to deck 1, out to L3, and onto the scissors lift to lower to the pier. Wish I used the scissors lift the first time as my muscles are aching in the back below the belt line big time.

Adivision_office_01.jpg

Nut_torch.jpg

Cool stuff tbm .. I've had the opportunity to bash a shin and hit my head on a wall ornament a time or two and that second picture looks very familiar. Green tiles, steel desks, steel filing cabinets, steel chairs, even steel trash cans. That stuff was made to last. Surprised there's no 24 hour clock in that pic.

attachment.php

Clock is off to the left where it can't be seen. Oh, and what is an office without a typewriter. The desk to the left with the red top folds up in the middle to expose a typewriter that is fully functional. This compartment has been closed pretty much since 1970 and it was decided to open it up for Tom's use. Clean, paint, polish, and get new seat coverings for the swivel chair on the right. Ship's machine shop is through the opening on the left.

Stan was impressed that I restore a torpedo bomber. Well, actually this June 1st will be the start of my 16th year restoring the aircraft carrier USS HORNET at the former NAS Alameda. So far 15 years and over 9000 hours. Here's a pic below which most every one in the Navy should recognize provided they had one on their ship - Gedunk

Gedunk_001.jpg

Clock is off to the left where it can't be seen. Oh, and what is an office without a typewriter. The desk to the left with the red top folds up in the middle to expose a typewriter that is fully functional. This compartment has been closed pretty much since 1970 and it was decided to open it up for Tom's use. Clean, paint, polish, and get new seat coverings for the swivel chair on the right. Ship's machine shop is through the opening on the left.

Stan was impressed that I restore a torpedo bomber. Well, actually this June 1st will be the start of my 16th year restoring the aircraft carrier USS HORNET at the former NAS Alameda. So far 15 years and over 9000 hours. Here's a pic below which most every one in the Navy should recognize provided they had one on their ship - Gedunk

I had the opportunity to spend 24 hours on the USS Reagan back in 2006 over in the Persian Gulf and I got to eat in the Chiefs Mess .. that and the rest of the tour was truly an incredible experience. I've also been on the Yorktown in Charleston, the Wisconsin in Norfolk, and the Lexington in Corpus Christi and been to Pearl Harbor which was a very moving experience. Also been on a few subs. I love this stuff too.

Thanks for putting in the years, man hours, and sheer time to restore the tbm and this ship brother.

One thing about working on her is the naval perks. Have been able to go to the Reserve Fleet, at Suisun, ever since 1999. There were 108 ships up there and now down to 28 from WWII to new ships just stationed there. We are parts hunting and grabbing whatever we can haul out big or small.

Another perk was making friends over the web with the man who drew up the plans to modernize the Iowa Class battleships in 1982. An expert in armor besides other areas at Long Beach Naval Shipyard. He saw some of my photos of the Iowa BB-61 while sitting in the Reserve Fleet as we would walk across her several times a year. For their pre-inspection, before towing to Long Beach, he invited me along for a personal tour of the ship. That meant from shaft alley all the way to sky observation at O12 and telling me how they made the armor and how thick it was in areas. Below is a pic of her leaving for Long Beach taken from the Marin Headlands may 2012.

Next perk is coming up soon. We have permission to go onto the Bremerton Naval Shipyard in Washington State to board the USS RANGER CV-61. We will be able to strip off as much as we can haul south. Number one target the pilot ready rooms and all their special chairs to fill out the HORNET's ready rooms.

We have also had several subs make port calls into the Bay. They dock right next to the HORNET and as a result we are able to walk on and take a look around. A former boomer on her way to deactivation and several attack subs.

I actually lived in the City from 1988-98 and the location can be seen at the far right end of the picture below the greenbelt which is Golden Gate Park. The top strip of homes is the Sunset District (although little sun) and the group of homes below the greenbelt is the Richmond District.

BB61.jpg

Back