Headlight dimmer switch for Sentinel system.

Hillfarmer

Reaction score
I'm trying to get low beam headlights to work on my 1969 Imperial. High beam lights function fine, but nothing on low. Headlight doors open when I turn on the lights on low beam or high. I'm thinking dimmer switch, but I can't even find a picture of one online, let alone a replacement. The switch has 4 spades instead of the typical 3. Where could I find one?

Can you over ride it with a high beam foot switch? if so depress that. If it feels weird or sounds crunchy, replace it. Maybe you can depress it to see if they will switch. I had this problem on my '59 Imperial with the Twilight Sentinal and it was the floor switch.

I removed the floor dimmer switch and cleaned the connections. I also sprayed wd-40 into the switch hoping to clean any pitting or corrosion internally. That didn't seem to help anything. I'd bet the switch is the one it left the assembly line with. Externally, it has seen better days.

I would not spray anything into a electrical switch other than "Electrical Contact Cleaner" Years ago a friend of mine sprayed WD40 into a power seat switch. Several hours later he discovered an electrical fire had occurred inside the car and all was black from the smoke. You can get a switch from most part stores today for a few dollars. Give that a try.

Every source I checked has a standard switch. It's a common switch that everyone seems to stock for less than 6 bucks. The problem is my switch has 4 connections. Its known as the auto dimmer switch. That's what I'm unable to locate anywhere. Unless someone has a source, I will likely contact the fellow member here for rebuilding.

Hillfarmer,
Regular 3 prong switch is all there is by regular channels.... The +++ 4 prong +++ switch for the automatic twilight sentinel has been discontinued by all companies many years ago.
I have two last ones BRAND NEW +++ N.O.S. +++
$ 99 + $ 8 shipping -- if you would like one of the two.
Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935....... New York....

Thanks everyone for the help. NOS switch is in the works from Craig.
Don’t toss the old one though for crying out loud! Get it rebuilt and keep it for a spare or pass it along to someone else who needs it.:thankyou:

204.gif

Hillfarmer / Jay already called lickety-split -- he got the hearty man call right away extra discount !!!!!
I told him to definitely keep the old one, detmatt,
he is definitely not going to throw it away !!!!
(How much does that guy charge to "rebuild" one ??
And, can he do every one ??? Or does he deem some
"Unrebuildable ???)
Anyway, Hillfarmer / Jay is set..... He is getting one of my two N.O.S.
Yours, all, Craig....... Stay safe !!!!!

Hillfarmer / Jay already called lickety-split -- he got the hearty man call right away extra discount !!!!!
I told him to definitely keep the old one, detmatt,
he is definitely not going to throw it away !!!!
(How much does that guy charge to "rebuild" one ??
And, can he do every one ??? Or does he deem some
"Unrebuildable ???)
Anyway, Hillfarmer / Jay is set..... He is getting one of my two N.O.S.
Yours, all, Craig....... Stay safe !!!!!
I’ve alerted him to this thread, eventually he will see it and answer that question himself.

With my N.O.S.,
Hilltopper / Jay will be good for life !!!
I can service one more person....
Hilltopper / Jay 's used one --- might --- ultimately help some one....
Yours, Craig.....
Stay safe, all. Somewhat !?! Happy Easter and Happy Passover (tough to say "Happy" now)...

so... the current for the head light does not go through the dimmer switch with the "auto dimming option" unlike standard headlights. Follow the wire from the foot switch and you will find a relay up under the dash. The only reason for low beam to be dead i would think would be an open wire or burnt contact in the dimmer relay not the foot switch if headlight dont light.

Twilight Sentinal is the option that turns on the lights at dusk and keeps them on for a limited time after the ignition is turned off.

Twilight Sentinal is the option that turns on the lights at dusk and keeps them on for a limited time after the ignition is turned off.

No, not on '59. It will dim or not dim the headlights when "on". It does not turn on the headlights.The adjustable part determines how close the oncoming lights affect the dim or not to dim the lights.

The Twilight Sentinal systems turns on the head lights... The auto dimming, does the dimming. These are two differnt options. To my recollection the auto dimming system was never called a Twilight Sentinal ... hence the word Twilight in the name

His is a 69 which is two or three generation newer than your and is electronic except for the photo tube and will not have the amplifier box as it is all contained in the head unit. All these systems (and the Twilight Sentinal) was made by delco electronics.

I'm thinking this is the relay controlling the beam changer? Purple and green wires are going to the dimmer switch. The FSM doesn't troubleshoot this system. Is there a testing procedure to test this relay?
20200411_193611.jpg

I don’t have any reference materials here so everything is from memory.

The three terminal connector is for the headlights with the power in the center connection. You could plug a standard Foot dimmer switch in this and have your headlights working. You can also jump the center terminal to either of the outside terminal to test for the highbeam and low beam wiring. Just in case there is a open circuit at the firewall connector for the low beam.

The other two connections are for the coil in the relay, but there is a diode between these
two terminals to prevent fly back. If memory serves me right, between the center pin for the headlight connector and the two wire connector for the coil. You can provide positive to the center pin, negative to the farthest pin on the coil to activate the relay.

Tell us how it goes. And good luck

Back