Headlight relays finally installed

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought these relays over 3 years ago. I started installing them and didn't finish for some reason. In he meantime my computer crashed and lost contact info and directions.

I decided today would be the day. I seeked out some help on he FBBO site, which is where I initially where I contacted him. I basically figured it out once I started laying it out.

I will give a side by side comparison next time I have it out after dark, but could tell already they are definitely brighter.

IMG_20170401_151904844.jpg

It's really funny how we have had similar work and mods to do Mike. I have the same relay kit from 3 years ago too to install still.
I guess I better get my butt in gear!

Looks great!

It's really funny how we have had similar work and mods to do Mike. I have the same relay kit from 3 years ago too to install still.
I guess I better get my butt in gear!

Looks great!

When I was looking for the original directions I noticed you were interested in the mod too, but it is too funny that you haven't installed yours either. It was really easy, I remember I spent most of the time hiding the components.

When I was looking for the original directions I noticed you were interested in the mod too, but it is too funny that you haven't installed yours either. It was really easy, I remember I spent most of the time hiding the components.

I've been fairly happy with the stock brightness once I removed the after market eyelids with B/N headlight bulbs but know that the wiring is under sized so it is a matter of necessity in my opinion.
Picture 017.jpg

Your light switch will probably last forever, without all that current flowing through it too. I don't drive mine much after dark, and my brights are ok. I am hoping this will bring my dims up to snuff.

Mike, is there another link or thread for the lights and relays info that you used and where to get the parts?

Here is the original post on FBBO FOR SALE - Plug and play Headlight Relay Kits

What he made up for me was just headlights no dash lights. High quality parts and craftsmanship across the board. I made some measurement for him and he made a custom harness that fit perfectly.

I will look up his email and PM to you. His FBBO inbox is full, I was able to PM on the FABO.

Mike, is there another link or thread for the lights and relays info that you used and where to get the parts?
Here's a real simple procedure that takes you through all the steps.

Installing Headlamp Relays - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I would add this socket rather than individual plugs to the relays. NEW 12 VOLT DOUBLE 5 WIRE SPDT BOSCH / TYCO TYPE STYLE CAR RELAY SOCKET HARNESS | eBay

Here's another link to the Charger forum for relays. (Don't let the error message throw you, it's a good link)

An Error Has Occurred!

It's a pretty simple circuit. The key thing is to buy genuine Bosch/Tyco relays and not the Chinese clones.

I took the entire headlight harness out of mine and added the new wiring and put larger gauge wiring in for the power source, but the way it's done in both those links is a little simpler.

You can shop around on Ebay and buy the relays for about $5-6 plus shipping. Here's one link.
12 VDC Tyco 5-Pin Relay SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch) | eBay

Depending on what you have on hand, and how much you are willing to shop around, you can do this for under $20. Maybe $30 if you aren't cheap like me.

When you do this mod, one thing you may want to do is make a couple jumpers to bypass the relays and toss them into your "road" tool and spares box.

Edit: Mr Fix It beat me to the punch with the same relay wiring link.

Last edited:
I bought these relays over 3 years ago. I started installing them and didn't finish for some reason. In he meantime my computer crashed and lost contact info and directions.

I decided today would be the day. I seeked out some help on he FBBO site, which is where I initially where I contacted him. I basically figured it out once I started laying it out.

I will give a side by side comparison next time I have it out after dark, but could tell already they are definitely brighter.

View attachment 120722
Now that your knee deep in the conversion here's a great idea from the Chevy truck forum. You can actually buy a kit from Painless to perform this but you have everything so it's a no-brainer. Due to poor illumination the boys over at GM came up with an idea (and it is used widely) that leaves the LOW beams on even when the HIGH beams are actuated. I use this on my four headlight car and it's an amazing improvement - the road is lit both in close, on the right side and way up the road by the high beams all at the same time. Drop out HIGH beams and your right back to LOW beams.

I used that link to the Dodge truck forum several years ago to make three sets of relays for the Park Lane, Polara and F100. Haven't done the Cougar or Mustang as if really needed since none of the cars are driven at night. The main issue with the other two cars is where to stash the relays given the smaller compartments. No kit used just built mine from scratch using different sources for relays, circuit breaker, wire and sockets.

Pol_relay_02.jpg
Pol_relay_01.jpg
Pol_relay_03.jpg

Back