Hello from Ohio. You guys made me change my mind and saved a car.

DanP

Reaction score
Hello C Brothers. Dan P here from Cleveland Ohio. I owe ya'll a big 'Thanks' and a hello, howdy, etc. I suppose I should explain. I'm a Mopar guy, have had my 67 Charger for 20+ years. Craigslist can be a small problem for me. Last year, I found a 74 Monaco Hardtop (Brougham) nearby, black over green, 400ci, low miles asking 3k. I also saw a reproduction bluesmobile sell on Ebay for 12k. I think you know where this was headed. I should be thankful, as my scheme was the only reason my wife OK'd the $2800 outlay. I even had the Unity Spotlight hanging on the shop wall from back when this dream started, at an estate sale 20 years ago. Then we did it. Yep, we drilled a hole in the A pillar. I say 'we' because I did not really want to do it. My uncle is a Chevy guy, he had fun drilling it. The light is in, and cool. I also put a correct pushbar on the front. That one is easy to undo if I want to. THEN, I read this forum, about how it is very uncool to chop up a Monaco to make a Bluesmobile in the desire to attract attention, and I felt like I got kicked in the head! :busted:

I really like the Monaco in all of her long blackness, and I am going to keep it pretty much the way she is. I decorated her with duct tape as a parade float 'space cops' and won $250 Honarable mention and made some memories my kids will never forget, but once the duct tape is off we are going to stay as stock as possible. I put new tires, fresh brakes, and evicted some HVAC varmits and now she rolls like a 40 year old Limousine!

Anybody want pics?

Sorry bout the A pillar/pushbar thing!

Dan P

67 Charger 440-6
74 Monaco Brougham

Welcome aboard from your neighbor a few hours southwest

Welcome!

Deff need pics! Don't be sorry for what you did with your own car!! Do whatever the hell you want with it! I will say though, I think it was a smart move. Start witha correct sedan first. lol. Theres also enough flippers out there trying to make $$ on old monacos.

Glad your keeping it.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Ok guys forgive the dumb question. Why do people mention car guys looking down on them when they want to build a Bluesmobile?? Its your car. If you love that movie and like cruising around in an old police car that's cool. Is there something wrong with taking a car and making it into what you want? I don't mean putting a Gm engine in a Mopar.

Last edited:
Concur do what you want. I suspect the reason is so many have done it like Dukes boys Chargers

Agreed, it is your car, do what you want, but you are always going to find people disagreeing if you make a tribute or clone...
I think part of it is purists not wanting to see cars messed around with, and part of it is people tired of seeing a poorly done Dukes Charger, Bluesmobile, Starsky and Hutch Torino and Green Lantern Imperial at every old car gathering they go to. Tribute cars don't bother me, its the guys that turn a Tempest into a GTO or a Cornet into a Super Bee then try to pass them off as genuine that get my goat... If you want to do it fine, but don't try to convince me that your amateurish 67 Mustang is the one and only prototype Shelby 500 KR.......

If you use a wreck and resurrect it from the ashes, it's yours to do with as you please. Go to town with it. Donk it if you want.
If it's a beautiful survivor, turning it into a Bluesmobile, Dukes of hazards, whatever, is desecration.
If it's something in between, well, you're only going to make one person happy for every one person you piss off.

Pics

IMG_4895 (Medium).jpgIMG_4900 (Medium).jpgIMG_4922 (Medium).jpgIMG_4923 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4895 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4908 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4900 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4922 (Medium).jpg

IMG_4923 (Medium).jpg

More pics

The hub caps had to go, they were getting a bit corroded anyway. I'm looking for some red line dog dish hub caps! The parade decorations were all made with duct tape, and most were held in place with just a magnet!

photo 4.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpgDSCF5375 (Small).JPG

photo 1.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

DSCF5375 (Small).JPG

Now when I've seen pics before and after, I say: She is a real Beauty as original! I know kids must love her even more as a bluesmobile, but hey, they'll grow up some day and may have a different taste in cars then.

I sincerely hope you'll keep her as close to original as you can.

Oh, and welcome!

Back