New guy from Nevada

Pentastarguy

Reaction score

Hi, new guy from Nevada, was also on the Drydock, my name is Scott, and i have been into C/Y body Mopars for almost 30 (wow, almost can't believe it myself) years now. I'm a Mopar guy for sure, but i also love and have owned many Ford and GM products, and really like reading and learning about American automotive history, as well as Aviation history. Iv'e owned a bunch of Chrysler products, including two 65 Chrysler 300 L's, a 67 Chrysler 300 2DRHT with low original miles, a 70 Charger SE with a 383 Mag and original F8 green paint, a 72 Polara Custom 2DRHT that also had all original paint and interior, a 68 Charger R/T, a 70 Plymouth Sport Fury GT, a 72 Dodge Monaco 2DRHT with factory 440, a 69 Dodge Polara base model 2DRHT with a 383 , a 72 Plymouth Fury Gran Coupe with factory 440 and Paisley bucket seat Brougham interior, a 71 Chrysler 300 4DRHT with factory bucket seats, a 72 Chrysler Newport Royal 2DRHT, a 73 Imperial Lebaron 4DRHT, a really beautiful 69 Imperial Lebaron 2DRHT with low original miles and black leather bucket seats, a 74 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 2 DRHT that was all original and low miles, and a 70 Chrysler 300 Hurst. This is just a list of the Mopars that iv'e owned and worked on, and i wish i could have kept every one of them. I currently own four Mopars, a 98 Dodge Intrepid ES with a 3.2 V6 and 85K original miles, which is also the newest vehicle iv'e ever owned, and am extremely impressed with it's great styling, engineering and performance, a 78 Dodge Power Wagon Club Cab short bed with a 440 that iv'e had for many years that's an original Reno Dodge truck, and is red with a red interior, and i have another 69 Imperial Lebaron 2DRHT, B3 Blue with blue leather buckets, ( 69's are my favorite Imps), and a 70 Dodge Monaco 500. Iv'e owned my 70 Monaco for over four years now, and have been gathering parts and working on it when i can. Some of you may know this car, at least they did on the Dock. It's a Y13 Dealer Demo, built on August 4th, 1969 ( just a couple weeks after we landed on the moon!). August 4th of 69 was a Monday, so i'm assuming it may have been the first day of production for the 70 model year C body Plymouth's and Dodge's at the Belvidere Il. assembly plant, as the VIN is DH23T0D100359. It is factory FK5 Dark Burnt Orange, with a V1G Gator grain vinyl top, A75 Monaco 500 Pkg., Burnt Orange buckets and console interior, Power windows, Rim Blow steering wheel ( 1st year for this option), AM 8 Track Stereo with five speakers, Auto Temp A/C, Light Pkg. with fender turn signals and cornering lights, Remote trunk release, etc., Original numbers matching 440 with dual exhaust and dual snorkel air cleaner, ( same engine that came standard in the 70 Sport Fury GT), original numbers matching 727 transmission, "oversize" 15X6 in. steel wheels with J78X15 dual whitewall bias belted tires and the deluxe "Dodge Division" wheel covers, Power disc brakes and factory D91 Sure Grip 8 3/4 diff. with 2.76's instead of the 3.23 that came standard with the GT Pkg. I found a build sheet in the rear seat back luckily, but other than some old medical paperwork from a previous owner, i don't know anything about this car's history, except that it was in the Portland Or. area in the 90's. It has a poor quality re-paint in a kind of maroon color that i'm going to have media blasted off hopefully this year or next year, so i can do body work and paint prep for some new FK5. I have removed all of the side moldings, as they were pretty trashed, and am still looking for some nice ones. It runs really strong, the original 727 was overhauled sometime in the past. I put a set of 15X7 Mopar Police wheels with the 69/70 Dodge dog dish caps and 245 60R15 BFG's on it for now, but still have all of the factory 15X6 wheels and wheel covers. I am looking into what Firm Feel and PST offers for performance suspension upgrades, as i'm a handling/ braking performance guy, as much as straight line acceleration and top speed. There were many reasons why the CHP and other Police and Highway Patrol agencies bought Dodge Polara's and Plymouth Fury's for so many years, as they had some really rigorous performance and durability test's that the Mopars always seemed to pass much more consistently than other makes. I love the thread from MRMOPARCHP about his 69 CHP Polara, one of my favorite cars. I have bought a lot of trim parts for my 70 already, but i am still looking for some parts for it. I have a lot of pictures of it, and my other past and present Mopars also, so let me know if anyone wants to see something in particular. I work a lot of hours sometimes, so i may not be able to respond very fast to a question, but i hope i can contribute something to you guys who keep these great cars on the road where they belong. Thanks.

70 monaco 500 15.jpg70 monaco 500 21.jpg70 monaco 500 13.jpg70 monaco 500 11.jpg70 monaco 500 12.jpg

70 monaco 500 15.jpg

70 monaco 500 21.jpg

70 monaco 500 13.jpg

70 monaco 500 11.jpg

70 monaco 500 12.jpg

70 monaco 500 1.jpg

70 monaco 500 22.jpg

70 monaco 500 8.jpg

70 monaco 500 6.jpg

70 monaco 500 2.jpg

Well I guess it just fitting that I'm the first one welcoming you here. I am fairly new here myself but already feel like an old-timer.

Great group of people here with lots of good information, sit back and enjoy the ride, they like to have fun!

Alan

Hey, Thanks Alan. It's great to be a new member and looking forward to participating. Your thread has been a big inspiration to me and i really appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to do major restoration work like you have done with your 69. I really love 69 CHP Polara's, and the whole story behind yours is just awesome. Thanks for the welcome! Scott.

Welcome! Love that stripped-down look. So it looks like those BFGs are 245-width all around? Any rubbing on the front ones when you turn? That burnt orange could fetch you some bucks here in Texas (close to the UT Longhorns color)...

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Great list of cars you've had, I for one would like to see them all but in particular the Imp coupes and a getter look at the truck. Love the FK5 interior, one year only!

Welcome aboard. With credentials like that you will be an asset to this board. I will follow your updates on the Monaco with interest. BTW nice Fratzog rear bumper.

Welcome to the board. I love burnt orange interior!! Only thing that would make that combo better...for me at least...would be a black exterior, with teh burnt orange interior...YUMMMM.

But regardless....very cool car!!

Welcome. Great taste in cars. I love the 70 Monaco 500...one of my favourites...probably because my sister had one (Gold with gator grain and gold buckets console) back in 75. I thought the back up lights were the coolest thing.

By the way...there's no such thing as a Y body. Imperials were D bodies (frame cars) or C bodies (unibody cars)... albeit stretched C bodies from 67-73 with unique stub frames/ front clips.

Y was the car line in the VIN denoting Imperial. Yes Y is stamped on some sheetmetal (hoods on 74/75 Imperials jumps to mind), but it was only to help the workers on the assembly line to distinguish Imperial parts from Newport/ NY parts.

Great Car. I have the cousin to yours in A4 Silver with Black Gator Grain top.DCP_4548.jpg

DCP_4548.jpg

Was gator grain a 70 Dodge only that's the top my Challenger had new, it wasn't on any other years or car lines, right?

Back