Help needed with drivability issue

Sometimes these old girls are like country music dancing - 2 steps foward one step backwards! Glad you found some answers.

View attachment 87531 View attachment 87532 Ok
Update after stepping back and thinking this all through

I tested the fuel pump and it failed the test 2 psi tops...

I had purchased a replacement today so switched it out

Also tackled the flooding issue
Found a pice of fuel line had broken off and lodged itself in the needle n seat
I changed the fuel line pieces attached to the filter

To top it off I disassembled the carb to trace my steps and discovered that I had installed the accelerator pump check ball into the metering valve port by mistake reassembled the carb
Reset the float level

End result?
A engine that idles nearly perfectly and pulls off the line and accelerates really well
Actually the gas is fresh as well 91 octane

It still has a slight mid range issue but so slight that I can live with it

I still have a few electrical checks to do but overall I think I can close the books on this issue
I will diagnose the electrical connection to the ECU & Distributor

Thanks for the encouraging replies and suggestions to check the fuel related items:thumbsup:

Very glad you got that figured out... now back to enjoying your car...

Very glad you got that figured out... now back to enjoying your car...

I'll be popping the new wheels on the car and taking it out for the weekend.
Thanks for your support & comments on this issue.

Maybe the admins should make this a sticky as to how not to find a drivability issue:lol:

One last thing here is that I was speaking with Fred (Fratzog) a few weeks ago about this and he had hit the nail on the head about the needle and seat issue he had experienced when rebuilding a carb form his car..

I didn't have a flooding issue back then but this certainly would have caused me a fuel related issue even just floating around in the line.

One last thing here is that I was speaking with Fred (Fratzog) a few weeks ago about this and he had hit the nail on the head about the needle and seat issue he had experienced when rebuilding a carb form his car..

I didn't have a flooding issue back then but this certainly would have caused me a fuel related issue even just floating around in the line.
We all get our *** handed to us by something we know better than... It's part of being human. If I managed to help you refocus at all, I'm glad... hard to guess at every possibility, you have to be there for stuff like that fuel line. I'm glad Fred put you on target and you eventually found that... I think problems like yours are going to become more common around here as we find out first hand how unfriendly some fuels can be.

I put 30 miles on tonight and it ran really well in comparison to what I had been experiencing

Ill do some minor adjustments and go from there

Back