Help pulling steering box

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Trying to pull a steering box from a 64 Chrysler Newport. I have all the bolts loose & the pitmam arm loose. I took the upper collar off. The box moves , but won't come off the steering column. What gives

Is there a hole in the steering coupler where it fits onto the steering gearbox shaft, if there is ,there is likely a thin hollow pin that holds the coupler on . It is so thin it is almost non visible

Cheers

Ken

I don't think so guys. This unit is up against the firewall. It's not like the other later boxes. This one has a slip collar. The slip collar was inside a boot inside the firewall. I guess I can get my flash light & shine up in there & see if I see a bolt. There may be something from inside under the dash.

I don't think so guys. This unit is up against the firewall. It's not like the other later boxes. This one has a slip collar. The slip collar was inside a boot inside the firewall. I guess I can get my flash light & shine up in there & see if I see a bolt. There may be something from inside under the dash.
That certainly sounds interesting and worth noting for future reference, can you get some pics of the setup for us too?

From the '64 Chrysler service manual.
'64 column #1.PNG
'64 column #2.PNG
'64 column #3.PNG

No idea, maybe it's one of those crazy Canadian cars. :poke:

Hi. all aussie valiant are like that one plate wield to the steering shaft. then 4 bolts going into the coupling disc. i undo it there most of the time. so the bottom plate stay on the steering box, as it full up with **** and hard to come off.

No idea, maybe it's one of those crazy Canadian cars. :poke:

If it is try being polite and ask it nicely to let go of the column...eh. If its American use BFH then have Obama apologise after for the excessive use of force
:canada:

image.jpeg
This is what it looks like. Apparently there is a cover that fits against that boot on the firewall. And yes the master cylinder & column have to come out

Back