help with a 70 sub frame

morepar

Reaction score
Ok guys I have been super excited about getting my hurst back together BUT! I was under the car for the first time ( yes car was bought sight unseen) and the bottom of my subframe is rusted , floor and the top of the frame looks really good . Here is my question can it be repaired on the car or do I have to scrap the sub frame. Thanks for any input!!

20170211_080427.jpg
20170211_080432.jpg
Here are are couple pics it was also dented!!

I would replace it. The structural integrity is compromised. The rust is going up the side of the frame apparently from the inside out.

That looks shot and should be replaced. Torsion quiet stubs are easy to come by, and simple to swap out. Any '70-'71 full size Chrysler except convertible or station wagon will work. There is a thread tutorial on here, search "Stub Frame" and you will find it.

You guys are great! I agree i should replace it . One more question do you have to remove the front end and engine? How are these stubs usually replaced?

Well ............................ wait, of course . If youre replacing the frame everything else is attached

Take a look halfway down this page to see how to remove the front clip using a couple of jack sands. Near the bottom of this page see how it goes back together. Here Paul used an A-Frame and chain fall, but could have used jack stands if the rear wheel were installed first.

Ok guys I have been super excited about getting my hurst back together BUT! I was under the car for the first time ( yes car was bought sight unseen) and the bottom of my subframe is rusted , floor and the top of the frame looks really good . Here is my question can it be repaired on the car or do I have to scrap the sub frame. Thanks for any input!!

You really ought to check with Wolfen (Gary). He did this same swap-out of a stub frame with his Sport Fury GT. He could probably provide a blow-by-blow how-to procedure for you.

Back