Help

Tanner Thompson

Reaction score
I need some help, on my 63 Newport ive been trying to take the driver side rear tire off and I cant get the lug nuts to come loose. Ive tried to loosen it with an impact, ive tried using a breaker bar and socket wrench combo, and ive soaked it with pb blaster, but im having no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Left side of the car. Turn them the clockwise. They turn backwards, it’s call left heads threads.

Look at the end of the stud, is there a L stamped in it?

You guys are correct. There is an L on them. Wow I'm stupid. Thank you guys
This is one of the quirks of Chrysler Corp vehicles prior to about 1971 or so. Many people change them to the "normal" rh thread studs/nuts. Be GLAD you didn't break one in the process!

In the earlier days, there was an engineering reason for them being that way.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This is one of the quirks of Chrysler Corp vehicles prior to about 1971 or so. Many people change them to the "normal" rh thread studs/nuts. Be GLAD you didn't break one in the process!

In the earlier days, there was an engineering reason for them being that way.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
I had a 64 Valiant in high school. Wanted to see what a chrome wheel looked like on the car. Shop broke a lug stud.
They said bring it back on the next Saturday. They proceeded to break all the lug studs and had to replace them all.
And this was back in the mid 60's.

You might want to replace them now that the stress of (maybe) way over-tightening them has been done. How good is your impact?

Back