Lug nuts frozen - HELP!

Years ago when putting new tires and rims and chrome lugs on my 64 polara a tire and wheel shop could not find lefthand lugs for passenger side so thay put new RH studs to install new tires and rims, Well those new studs had splines that stuck out past the hub and when the drum went back on it cut in to the drum on the right rear and later when it was time to do a brake job I couldn't get the drum back off. It was a nightmare. This was many years ago but I'm pretty sure it was pass. side that this happened on. Front drum came off easily for brake job. Why is lefthanded threads on studs used back in the day? Allways heard it was to keep the lugs from backing off. Curious.

Allways heard it was to keep the lugs from backing off. Curious.
Correct. The forward rotational force was supposed to keep them tight from what I understand. This little quirk is precisely why I always bring my rims only to the tire shop and forego the 18-30 year old technicians snapping the studs while trying to dismount them.

What I found in changing the studs, was that auto parts had a lot of different ones, but had to order the right ones for this car. And, so far, I have replaced the LH rears on the axle flange, no sweat, other than the torque to pull them into place. I had one on the RF that was turning, and was causing issues. So, I drove the old one out. The new one had a bit different splines, but same length. And, I mesd the OD of splines, and the new ones were about 20 mils larger, so I thought great. Hmmm, not so much. Very difficult to drive into the iron drum....asssume the center hub may be steel, but the entire hole was smooth to start, and had a hell of a time driving in the new one.....it went and seated, and all is well with the world. But, there are too many different types of wheel studs, as there are too many types of oil filters.....where about 5 would do.

Well, the whole thing is Old Man with a Hat that sits by the Dock with Malted beverage in the Evening searching for New horizons that may never Appear, given his age and dementia, although, Drugs have overcome some of his Irregular Behavior making him Just a bit more agreeable to the Opposite sex. Sometimes.

I diddled for a couple minutes with the LH thread on Gertrude, then remembered how Ma Par did things. Having since switched the front hubs with Mathilda, the only LH wheel studs remaining are on the rear, and I'll press those out when I install the 15" wheels next year. I can put up w them for now. Much as I love the original condition of much of that car, we bought it as a DRIVER. I WILL KEEP the original studs from Gertrude all the same. We throw NOTHING away when its original.

I am curious, because on my 66 the left front were RH, and the back were LH with one broken. I changed those rears to RH, and will have to add a label to the fender skirts. But wonder if some came with RH on the front left....thought I saw that somewhere. And, of course, my car had chrome nuts, cannot see the stud end. And I had to laugh at the above Science note.....I think this is Fauci science on the left hand thread nonsense. Left hand wheel studs, left hand axle nuts, and left hand knockoffs.....crap.
I doubt it. Someone must have replaced your front drum(s) tears earlier with RH drums.

Well, the whole thing is Old Man with a Hat that sits by the Dock with Malted beverage in the Evening searching for New horizons that may never Appear, given his age and dementia, although, Drugs have overcome some of his Irregular Behavior making him Just a bit more agreeable to the Opposite sex. Sometimes.
Dementia?!? LOL!!
:rofl:

They probable put a used brake drum on from the right side on the left I seen that happen before

Back