Lug nuts frozen - HELP!

MetalManiacAZ

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hell of a time getting my lugnuts off on my 66 300. I moved to Mississippi recently so I think rust may be the issue. I've used my 1/2" impact with 1000lb/ft of torque but no luck. I've also tried jumping on a breaker bar to "shock" the rust loose. Still lo luck. Any suggestions? Should I apply heat at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20230401_120552.jpg

In the souther hemisphere it will be reversed!. Hey we all did that at one time.

You're not the first to get caught by these. At least you didn't tell us any of them sheared off. A friend of mine had his '70 Hurst in a shop for a restoration; the guy broke three off and was working on number four when I told him to reverse his impact gun. He looked at me like I was form Mars!

I'm having a hell of a time getting my lugnuts off on my 66 300. I moved to Mississippi recently so I think rust may be the issue. I've used my 1/2" impact with 1000lb/ft of torque but no luck. I've also tried jumping on a breaker bar to "shock" the rust loose. Still lo luck. Any suggestions? Should I apply heat at this point? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 589674
If you really used 1000 lb/ft the wheels would be loose, no problem, whether LH or RH thread.

I am reading this thread thinking to myself “ @MetalManiacAZ must be experiencing some type of dementia, he must know these are reverse threaded…”. This was a good one!

I am reading this thread thinking to myself “ @MetalManiacAZ must be experiencing some type of dementia, he must know these are reverse threaded…”. This was a good one!
Haha! I'm actually talking to Craig (Mobileparts) about getting a correct set as the ones from my original drums are a little too short for the rotor.

Holy moly boys and girls... it was April 1st yesterday! He got you all good!

Best FCBO April Fools ever! @marty mopar's from a few years ago (where he said he was selling everything off for a dollar or his wife was going to mulch it all into the back yard with the rototiller) is a close second.

Well done @MetalManiacAZ, well done. :rofl:

I am curious, because on my 66 the left front were RH, and the back were LH with one broken. I changed those rears to RH, and will have to add a label to the fender skirts. But wonder if some came with RH on the front left....thought I saw that somewhere. And, of course, my car had chrome nuts, cannot see the stud end. And I had to laugh at the above Science note.....I think this is Fauci science on the left hand thread nonsense. Left hand wheel studs, left hand axle nuts, and left hand knockoffs.....crap.

Back