Hidden Headlamp Conversion for 73 T&C

speedingbullitt

Reaction score
Hey Guys, been looking to do this for years, but keep getting held up by life!

Any help with parts interchange would be appreciated!

I have a 73 T&C Wagon and need to get hidden headlamps because they are awesome! I am trying to build a protouring wagon and the look is part of it!

Would 69 -71Chrysler fenders match the 73 doors? I was told they would not? I contemplated a 72 front end with a modified bumper that would contain a 69-71 300 grill assy? Thoughts?

I love the look of the 72 - 72 Monacos, but that would involve a lot of metal work!

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

welcome to the site enjoy...pics for the folks would be a good start...not shure if they can all read....

:welcome:

The body lines were changed in '72.

2)%202HT,%2071%20NEWPORT,%20Morro%20Bay,%20USA%20(6).jpg

72haaaa.jpg

It's kind of difficult to see, but in '72 the body line at the molding is exactly opposite from the previous year. It bends outward where the previous year tucked inward. The upper body contour is gone.

Thanks for the reply!

Does anyone know if the 72'/73' fender / door contours match? I was contemplating using the front end from a 72 if that would be easier. Either with no hidden headlights or modifying the bumper Assy to accept the earlier grills.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that a 71' bumper could bolt to a 72' front end? I do see differences with this too......

The 72 front end should bolt right on to your 73. Then you might be able to mount a 69 thru 71 grille. You would probably have to fabricate all the mounting brackets and filler panels so it would be time consuming. I have owned the 72 and 73 Fury's and would have like to have seen the 72 front end on the 73 body.

I have beenlurking for some time, just have not been able to get the projectstarted! Thanks for all the welcomes!

I know my intentions may not be well received by some of you guys who are mostcertainly purists but I am asking for your help as you guys are theexperts on these cars. I struggle with altering the car, but in the endmy car has had some accident and rust repair and is a 100K + mile car that willnever be worth a concurs resto. Its a nice 20 footer at the momentand Xenons picture above is the best!! That is my car!! Minusthe hidden lamps! My 73 is Sherwood Green Metallic and that's my screenshot on my home computer from the 73 brochure. Nice job Xenon!!!

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone with modifications someone maythink are inappropriate, but at the end of the day that is what makes mehappy and is what I'll eventually end up doing!:)

That being said, I 've always wanted a hidden headlamp car and think Chryslershould have applied to the Town & Country as they did with the Imperials,Monaco's, and later New Yorkers. That is why I am building what my visionis of a wagon I think Chrysler should have built. It needs to use factoryparts and should appear as something the factory could have built with slightmodifications!
I thought about the possibility ofthe later New Yorker front end, but parts interchange looksdifficult. I also considered an Imperial front end, but the subframe/ wheelbase differences and the heavier look is not exactly what I had inmind.

I may not go down the hidden headlamp road , but at minimum would swapover a 72 front end. My initial thoughts were to use the 72 front end andmodify the bumper to use a hidden headlamp grill (I like the 69 300grill). Perhaps modify the grill into two pieces or go behind thecenter post with an uncut grill, but I think that probably wouldn't work.

I am hiding the other plans I have at the moment for the car to break everyonein slowly and save them from the sheer horror that may be in store! I'llcome out slowly with the details so I am not shunned from the sight!
:sSig_noob:

Thanks again for the help and let me know your thoughts on what you think wouldlook good along the lines of a 72 front end.

Nah, don't worry about offending anyone, it's your car. That pic reminds me of the LTD wagons. Try to mod the front end with this:
squire-1.jpg

Might be fun and offensive at the same time!

:chain saw:

I'llcome out slowly with the details so I am not shunned from the sight!:sSig_noob:

Around here, any flack one receives should be regarded as just :poke:.
Don't worry about what people here think as far as what you want to do with your car. Don't worry about it.
If you are passionate about C-bodies, that is what is important.
Just a caveat: I can't think of anyone here that condones "dubs" :D

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone with modifications someone maythink are inappropriate, but at the end of the day that is what makes mehappy and is what I'll eventually end up doing!
And that is a fact! Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have an interesting project.

I know my intentions may not be well received by some of you guys who are mostcertainly purists but I am asking for your help as you guys are theexperts on these cars.

The last thing I want to do is offend anyone with modifications someone maythink are inappropriate, but at the end of the day that is what makes mehappy and is what I'll eventually end up doing!:)

I am hiding the other plans I have at the moment for the car to break everyonein slowly and save them from the sheer horror that may be in store! I'llcome out slowly with the details so I am not shunned from the sight!

Screw em... me...us... well you know...
They haven't booted me yet and I cant shut up...
Make yourself happy... it's your car.
Look forward to pictures of your project, as a lover of 50's 60's customs and what if cars... welcome

Nah, don't worry about offending anyone, it's your car. That pic reminds me of the LTD wagons. Try to mod the front end with this:
squire-1.jpg

Might be fun and offensive at the same time!

:chain saw:

Welcome to the board....and I think Samplingmans idea is a great one! ;) I love forcing people out of their comfort zones....and this would definitely do that. ;):devil1:

Interesting project. I would focus my energy on performance rather than design change. The 73 front end is unique and can be very aggressive looking when set up with the right stance. Reminds me of an Imperial somewhat. I like the way the head lights and grill are recessed. You can always remove the bumperetts for a cleaner look.
p192ahnq5nnle1urm1g7m1faa133j4.jpg
3Ka3Le3N35N85H75J7d19490480b23a4c18b0.jpg3Ld3I53N45If5G25E2d19968900666d8c1bbe.jpg

p192ahnq5nnle1urm1g7m1faa133j4.jpg

3Ka3Le3N35N85H75J7d19490480b23a4c18b0.jpg

3Ld3I53N45If5G25E2d19968900666d8c1bbe.jpg

Back