Hidden location for control box?

Yes heat was a concern but the bracket stands up about an inch and is vented. Its been in for about 5K miles. Its on the engine but away from the exhaust manifolds.

Yes heat was a concern but the bracket stands up about an inch and is vented. Its been in for about 5K miles. Its on the engine but away from the exhaust manifolds.

I like the thought of putting it in this location, definitely a lot of pluses. With you having it there for 5,000, and 1966 Newport for 50,000 miles that seems like a pretty good test.

I think I will put it there I can always move it later if gets too hot. I figure I will check it this summer on a 90 degree day and let it sit and idle for a while after the engine is hot, giving me the worst case scenario.

Just keep an eye on the potting material. If you can see or smell it melting, leaking, or burning, move the control module immediately.

Here is where I put mine. Its mounted to a bracket that mounts directly to the valley pan clamp scrs. No drilling and you need a bloodhound to find under the air cleaner. Found the bracket on Ebay. No cutting or splicing worked out great.View attachment 66315

Great idea but how does it handle the heat from the engine in that location? Is that a factor with this type of mounting location? Asking because when I turfed the lean burn on the Doba and went with the Mopar control box I seem to remember the instructions having a caution about heat.

Bingo. Heat. First thing that I thought of. Not good.

Great minds think alike, I also had the same thought

mines been in that spot for 50k miles

I like the thought of putting it in this location, definitely a lot of pluses. With you having it there for 5,000, and 1966 Newport for 50,000 miles that seems like a pretty good test.

I think I will put it there I can always move it later if gets too hot. I figure I will check it this summer on a 90 degree day and let it sit and idle for a while after the engine is hot, giving me the worst case scenario.

Just keep an eye on the potting material. If you can see or smell it melting, leaking, or burning, move the control module immediately.

My motor home 440 has a big steel bracket back there... motor homes are famous for not circulating air in the dog house very well couple trips to Naples, West Palm and Sebring before I killed it off... I always carried a spare but never had a failure... the bracket is coated in potting material though. I would prefer someplace away from heat and the battery... watched a Barrett-Jackson auction on TV some years ago... nice 69 Road Runner coming on block with hood up and there it was... thought to myself it was good... even after all that resto work, as soon as electronic was available the technical crowd would have started switching over. So its a day 2....2 years later... but if it matters so much hide it away from heat and excessive moisture...try to give it airflow... good luck.

I understand...

Here is where I put mine. Its mounted to a bracket that mounts directly to the valley pan clamp scrs. No drilling and you need a bloodhound to find under the air cleaner. Found the bracket on Ebay. No cutting or splicing worked out great.View attachment 66315

Bad, Bad, Bad!
Mopar had to put these on brackets just to help cooling.

Alan

For the longevity of the box I may be re thinking this. The good thing is I now know I can extend the leads that was really my original question and it needs to keep it cool. :)

For the longevity of the box I may be re thinking this. The good thing is I now know I can extend the leads that was really my original question and it needs to keep it cool. :)

Just make sure you solder the joints if you extend the leads.

Back