Hoping up my Chrysler

I'll give you some real advice this time.

Slow down. Don't become a slave (or go into debt) for this car. It looks pretty good in the pics you've shown, so I can't imagine you need even 1/2 the work that other people are suggesting; but what the Hell, right? It's YOUR money. It's much more enjoyable to have a reliable car and zero debt than some ill-tempered turd and interest payments on a depreciating asset.

And yes, don't front anybody cash for automotive work. A professional shop can put a lien on if you don't pay.

I had just sold my truck and had some extra cash in my pocket so i decided i'd treat myself. I guess I was excited to have someone else work on something of mine because I am sick of doing everything myself. It felt good to drop it off with someone else and not have to worry about it. And I will never go into debt for this car. My Jeep owns that title haha.

Edit: but yes you are right. I shouldn't be so rash, i'll take a step back and relax with this. I am just the type of person to do everything 110%. sometimes its hard for me to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Last edited:
I had just sold my truck and had some extra cash in my pocket so i decided i'd treat myself. I guess I was excited to have someone else work on something of mine because I am sick of doing everything myself. It felt good to drop it off with someone else and not have to worry about it. And I will never go into debt for this car. My Jeep owns that title haha.

Edit: but yes you are right. I shouldn't be so rash, i'll take a step back and relax with this. I am just the type of person to do everything 110%. sometimes its hard for me to take a step back and look at the big picture.

Yes. Do that. I've been where you are.

Once I slowed down and stopped building "the ultimate" C-body... then selling it at a loss, I was finally able to simply enjoy them.

Yup - take a breath. Poor yelp doesn't mean much, but no communication to me does. Go get the car before he takes it apart...
It's fine to pay a deposit - I won't start a customer's project without something for parts or materials. But you should not pay in full, or even 1/2 if it's a big job. You should pay tp show you're committed and able, and because he'll have to buy "stuff" to do it. But labor - don't ever pay labor up front. If it's a big project expect progress payments, but also expect to see progress! Delays happen - but communication in both directions has to be good so any delays are understood.

Hmmmm, I thought this was about an engine rebuild and suggestions??

Does not sound like you want big HP, but just a tad bit more. I am not qualified on the Mopar engines per say, but what most suggest is to keep your compression down to around 9-to-1 if using pump gas and what many running Pontiac engines for pump gas do. You can go slightly higher as long as you have access to 93 octane or possibly add an octane booster. I would not go more than 9.5. Recently this was suggested to me by a well known Pontiac engine building shop for our older cars without the hardened exhaust seats: Defender + Booster Fuel Additive

I would go with a 750CFM carb with vacuum secondaries. Don't worry about size of the CFM's as this is the purpose of vacuum secondaries - they only open, and as much, as the engine needs so its hard to oversize when using vacuum secondaries. That 440 needs to breathe. A smaller carb may be more responsive and work to a point, but will limit RPM's and the engines full potential as it'll choke the engine off.

A dual plane intake like factory is best for the street - it keeps up air/fuel velocity and is more responsive than the single plane intake. Stock or aftermarket is fine. Just read the recommendations by the manufacturer as some are intended for higher RPM use. I would block off the heat crossover if the car will mostly see summer/warmer weather driving. This will keep heat off the carb and help with the ethanol gas problems. You may not have enough heat to work the factory choke, so a conversion to an electric/manual choke would be needed. I would also add a phenolic spacer or insulated gasket under the carb to additionally help with heat soak.

I have seen where some of these engines in the forum have a factory insulation fitted under the intake on top of the valley pan. I suspect the purpose is to keep heat off the bottom of the intake. They make an insulated muffler wrap that I think could be cut and fitted to do the same thing and keep heat off the under side of the manifold.

It seems hood clearance may be an issue, but you can get air cleaners that drop down at the base to get the needed clearance. An open element air cleaner works best and can add HP. The factory air cleaner is too restrictive for HP. If you gotta use it, flip the lid for driving then flip it back for show.

Do a basic 3-angle valve job with good stainless steel valves. I like the Ferrea line of valves, but there are others. I also like bronze valve guides over steel or knurling and like Viton valve seals for better oil control which may require machining of the valve guide tops. Stock valve seals are fine as well if on a budget. If you can, gasket match the intake ports and clean up/smooth out any rough casting areas. No need to go crazy and make 'em smooth as you actually want a rough surface to promote turbulence - so just a clean up in the ports. Your shop should machine the heads to make sure they are flat on the combustion surfaces.

I would email Hughes Engines for a camshaft choice. They seem to have a good handle on cylinder pressure and what cams are best based on compression ratio and power output. Hughes Engines They may also be a good source for your pistons so you can match them to your heads to achieve a good street compression ratio.

I always replace my connecting rods with aftermarket steel rods. By the time you rebuild them and add ARP bolts, the ready to run NEW rods are a better alternative and stronger. It is also added insurance against a rod failure if this should ever happen - and you won't have to worry about twisting the engine to higher RPM's with a good set of steel rods.

Setting up the distributor, whatever you use, is often over looked and can make a big difference in power. Getting the initial timing right and getting the mechanical advance curve will do wonders. This may take a little hands-on test-and-tune by you to reach the best timing for your engine.

Exhaust flow is very important. Why have all that power being made by a good carb/intake/cam if the exhaust gasses are bottled up and can't escape fast enough? So some kind of HP manifolds or headers should be used. I like a 2.5" set of pipes with low restriction mufflers. Personally, I like 3" pipes if I can fit them, but clearances can be an issue.

You will want everything balanced.

Add a shift improver kit to the trans for sharper shifts.

You don't have to go crazy on the rebuild to get good street performance & driveability.

Cyl Head Work . . . Full-blown "porting" is probably NOT needed with a reasonably stock motor, with a below .500" lift cam. What CAN be beneficial is "port matching", where you match the entrance of the cylinder head port to the intake manifold gasket dimensions. Can be done with a few files by YOU, just stuff something into the port to catch any filings. NHRA allows this for 1" into the port, as being "legal for their race entrants", for what it's worth. This usually takes a few minutes/port.

Valve sizes . . . The hardened seats are a generally good idea for valve seat integrity with unleaded fuels. Chrysler did upgrade the exhaust size to 1.74" a few years later than when your car was built, on 383s and 440s. Regular and HP. I know that many drag racers have used the larger 2.14/1.88 valve sizes, as they are the largest physical sizes that will fit the chamber, BUT for the added gains in a pretty stock motor, not worth the expense, in my thinking. I don't know that they really produce massive power gains over the 2.08/1.74 sizes, just that they "are bigger" and allegedly flow "more".

Another consideration is that the bigger the valve heads become, the closer they will physically be to the edge of the cylinder wall and combustion chamber edge. This CAN add "shrouding" to the valve and hinder ultimate flow.

In the case of the 4" bore small block Chevy, the "normal" sizes are 1.94/1.50 valves. The Z/28 style motors used 2.08" intakes, as did the LT-1 Corvette motors (spec-wise, the same motor). Many put in the 2.08" intakes in their normal heads for very little power gain. Reason? The larger intake valve was shrouded and the port didn't flow as well.

On the FACTORY 2.08" heads, Chevy did a "radius cut" on the side of the combustion chamber to reduce the "shrouding effect", so the port would flow more and produce more power. It's a visible cut, which can be reproduced by a good machine shop, but has nothing to do with the basic head casting, as it's a "labor operation" rather than a different casting.

Stock engines usually need more help on the exhaust side of things, so doing the upgraded exhaust valves can be a better idea.

Camshaft . . . The referenced Comp Cams cam can be good. I did a similar Cam Dynamics (now Crane) cam in one of my motors. ONLY thing is many of the Comp and other aftermarket cams have a 110 degree Centerline. Stock cams are more like 114 degrees. To me, getting something with a Lobe Centerline more in the stock orientation can be better for idle vacuum and off-idle response. Just my observations. I also had to seriously re-curve the distributor just to get what I considered "decent" power from it, rather than a "plug and play" situation. Comp has some good grinds, but I'm more leaning toward some Lunatii cams now, which also advertise "assymetrical lobes", which is one reason the old Comp 268HE cams worked better than similar cams. From the lobe specs I pulled from a 268HE and a Purple Shaft 284 degree Chrysler cam (both new cams I have in stock), the Comp will probably make similar power at a lower rpm, as it keeps the intake valve OPEN for a full 10 degrees of crank rotation, rather than 1 degree as the PurpleShaft cam does. "More areas under the lift curve" for the Comp cam. I need to specify that my cam is an ORIGINAL "PurpleShaft" Street Hemi cam, NOT the current "PurpleShaft" line of cams that Mopar Perf now sells.

General orientations . . . I know that we all tend to want to "make it better than it came", which is fine. The problem becomes when some magazine article touts a particular product as "better", but "better" isn't always universally better. Just worked in their particular case and equipment combination. Just like port matching might be akin to making sure the sheet metal gaps are all straight and even, that can be good to do. Quick and easy with visible results. Many might have the orientation that factory engineers were "idiots", which might be applicable in a few situations, but not in all cases. They are also influenced by accountants in what they can or can't do, related to "production cost". Therefore, there might be a trade-off in what happens, but is generally the best bang for the buck with good customer satisfaction. Also understanding how something as seemingly "Mickey Mouse" as the small block Chevy "0-ring" valve stem seals can work well might need a little greater understanding of what they were seeking to accomplish with them or HOW they work in practice. After all, the stock OEM engines are usually good for 80K+ miles before anything is needed to be fixed. Spending more might run that up in miles, but at what additional expense? That was when we had much poorer motor oils, too, with the plastic timing chain sprocket on the cam being a limiting factor in that area.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Stopped by the upholstery shop today. The seat was take completely apart, all the stitching was removed, the new vinyl and suede was cut out but not sewn to the new foam. Since there was nothing I could do I told him how i wanted it again and asked him now when it would be done. I know he is running late but me going in there guns blazing wouldn't have made anything better. Hey if it all turns out good then him running late and a simple lack of communication isn't such a big deal.

Stopped by the upholstery shop today. The seat was take completely apart, all the stitching was removed, the new vinyl and suede was cut out but not sewn to the new foam. Since there was nothing I could do I told him how i wanted it again and asked him now when it would be done. I know he is running late but me going in there guns blazing wouldn't have made anything better. Hey if it all turns out good then him running late and a simple lack of communication isn't such a big deal.

Good luck. . . And may the odds be ever in your favor. . .

Well good news, I got a second job to help support my expensive hobbies! What is this job you ask? Well I got a job at a local shop part time and I will be doing restoration work/upgrades to cars. The shop is huge there must have been 25 cars in the shop. I honestly couldn't believe how big it was. There is even a 40 yard paint booth inside (along with a normal one for cars) for painting large boats, which was filled with cars.

I saw an add on craigslist Sunday morning at 0200. The add said to email the shop so I did along with the link to the build thread for my Jeep. They emailed me back before noon and we set up an interview today and I got hired on the spot! I start Monday next week, which will give me time to finish my summer classes this week and pack all my tools up. I get decent pay with a re-evaluation in a month to see where I am at with a pay raise if I improve. I don't want to work on cars for the rest of my life but it is definitely something I am passionate (obsessed) about. I have also never had a mentor when it came to learning how to fabricate, weld, and do bodywork etc. Everything I have learned is mostly self taught, I have always been the type of person to go do something myself. I've never been afraid... And that's been bad for me too. So i'm really excited to work under people and learn new stuff.

There are some C bodies in the shop right now so I'll take some pictures when I start and show you guys. Other than that I still haven't heard back from the upholstery shop. So I'm still bumming rides from friends to get around but luckily they don't mind too much.

I got the car back today. About a week after I was supposed to get it back. It looks good. There is one spot where it was double stiched and there is no piping on the seat like I discussed with him. I don't think it looks bad but it's not what I wanted. It's my only set of wheels right now though, I start my new job on Monday, I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and i need to get around. I'll just bust my *** at this new job and have a more reputable shop do the back. At least now I have seats that aren't ripped.

IMG_20180823_153712_968.jpg

So for an engine rebuild and I think its going to cost me about $1,500. I priced everything out to be around $1,200 but i'll add $300 for misc stuff i'm forgetting. It will get me new a new bump stick, intake manifold, lifters, pushrods, springs, retainers, keepers, valve seals, main seal, valves, hardened seats, timing chain, windage tray, gaskets.

I am going to go with Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 145-1222 Cam. Its advertised with .477/480" with a .050" duration of 224 on the intake and 230 on the exhaust on 110 degree lobe seperation. I believe the stock cam had only .450/.458" of lift so I'm hoping this new combo will wake it up just like some of you said. Hopefully when I pull the engine out of the car this winter I will find nothing unexpected when I dig into the engine. My only concern with getting this all done is time. Since I have to go up to my fathers garage to pull the motor, then drive it over my uncles shop. I will have to plan accordingly. Especially since I got a new job and will still be taking classes.

for now im going to focus on replacing brake lines when i get a chance

Last edited:
I think you will find your estimate of a $1500 rebuild a bit low unless you don't plan on rebuilding the short block. I spent $1100 on my heads (Pontiac iron heads) alone with all new parts, 3-angle valve job, & labor. Did not install hardened seats. Just to give you an idea of the costs involved:
Disassemble,Clean, Magnaflux Heads...................$40
Surface Heads.................................................$100
16 Bronze Valve Guides.......................................$52
Install & Bore Valve Guides.................................$200
8 Ferrea RAIV Stainless Steel Intake Valves............$88
8 Ferrea RAIV Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves..........$88
16 Valve Springs.................................................$92
16 Valve Spring Retainers.....................................$48
3 Angle Valve Job,Set Valve Spring,Install Valves, and Install Viton Valve Seals......................................$300
7/16" ARP Big Block Rocker Studs........................$118
Heater Hose Nipple/Passenger Side........................$25
Freeze Plugs (6)..................................................$16
OWNER Supplied Heads.........................................$0
OWNER Port/Polish/Open Valve Throats and Chamber Work...................................................................$0
TOTAL ..........................................................$1,167

My guess for an inexpensive rebuild using many of the old parts and doing the assembly yourself will run you closer to $2800-$3200.

Hot tank the block and magnaflux for cracks?
New freeze plugs?
Check cylinder bores for wear?
Possibly new pistons?
Rings?
If new pistons/pins/rings - possible re-balance?
Cam bearings; remove and install new bearings?
Magnaflux connecting rods if using stock?
Resize connecting rods and add new ARP rod bolts?
Magnaflux crank, check for straightness & wear?
Turn crank if needed and/or polish?
New oil pump?
New water pump?

I am sure I am missing a few items, but if you are going to tear down the engine, you would be better to rebuild it and have it new & fresh which means long term use and dependability. If you try to shave corners, it has been my experience it'll bite you later and cost you more.

Just my opinion on it so you know what might lie ahead because I am a bit skeptical on your number.

I think you will find your estimate of a $1500 rebuild a bit low unless you don't plan on rebuilding the short block. I spent $1100 on my heads (Pontiac iron heads) alone with all new parts, 3-angle valve job, & labor. Did not install hardened seats. Just to give you an idea of the costs involved:
Disassemble,Clean, Magnaflux Heads...................$40
Surface Heads.................................................$100
16 Bronze Valve Guides.......................................$52
Install & Bore Valve Guides.................................$200
8 Ferrea RAIV Stainless Steel Intake Valves............$88
8 Ferrea RAIV Stainless Steel Exhaust Valves..........$88
16 Valve Springs.................................................$92
16 Valve Spring Retainers.....................................$48
3 Angle Valve Job,Set Valve Spring,Install Valves, and Install Viton Valve Seals......................................$300
7/16" ARP Big Block Rocker Studs........................$118
Heater Hose Nipple/Passenger Side........................$25
Freeze Plugs (6)..................................................$16
OWNER Supplied Heads.........................................$0
OWNER Port/Polish/Open Valve Throats and Chamber Work...................................................................$0
TOTAL ..........................................................$1,167

My guess for an inexpensive rebuild using many of the old parts and doing the assembly yourself will run you closer to $2800-$3200.

Hot tank the block and magnaflux for cracks?
New freeze plugs?
Check cylinder bores for wear?
Possibly new pistons?
Rings?
If new pistons/pins/rings - possible re-balance?
Cam bearings; remove and install new bearings?
Magnaflux connecting rods if using stock?
Resize connecting rods and add new ARP rod bolts?
Magnaflux crank, check for straightness & wear?
Turn crank if needed and/or polish?
New oil pump?
New water pump?

I am sure I am missing a few items, but if you are going to tear down the engine, you would be better to rebuild it and have it new & fresh which means long term use and dependability. If you try to shave corners, it has been my experience it'll bite you later and cost you more.

Just my opinion on it so you know what might lie ahead because I am a bit skeptical on your number.

I failed to mention that my uncle owns an engine shop. So that is why my number was so low. I happen to be the lucky nephew that gets work done for free since I sit down, shut up, listen to what he tells me to do, and don't mind waiting to get my stuff done while he works on other jobs that make him money. I am 100% sure that you are correct with you numbers. I just should have mentioned that I am not charged for labor, sorry.

I failed to mention that my uncle owns an engine shop. So that is why my number was so low. I happen to be the lucky nephew that gets work done for free since I sit down, shut up, listen to what he tells me to do, and don't mind waiting to get my stuff done while he works on other jobs that make him money. I am 100% sure that you are correct with you numbers. I just should have mentioned that I am not charged for labor, sorry.

Yer a lucky guy. The machine shop work alone is the most important (and expensive) part of an engine rebuild.

Every time I ask advice from cam companies and tell them the car it’s going into, they come back with a max duration of 220 @ 0.050”. Now my Imperial is notably heavier than your car, but it may be good advice still. I don’t pretend to understand all the interactions, but I’d also try to have an LSA of 112 or 114 degrees.

I did some work on the Chrysler today. I've been having some problems cruising over 65 with the car for the past few days on and off. Saturday was the worst and I have to limp the car home after a wedding. It felt like a fuel issue but I really wasn't to sure what it was. It drove fine below 40 but when I got on it, it just sputtered and went and sputtered and went. It felt like it wasn't getting enough fuel, like the fuel was coming out of the Jets then just stopping then pumping again. It was really weird. I wasn't sure if the fuel was boiling because the carb was hot but this is what I found when I pulled for carb apart today.

I wouldn't say I rebuilt it as much as I just gave the entire thing a good thorough cleaning and replaced the old gaskets. I also replaced the spark plugs. Everything else in the carb looked fine so I left it all alone. Oh ya and I also put a new fuel filter on. I think there may be some rust in the tank..

Then after hooking all the linkage back up and not losing any of the small clips. Double checking the spark plug boots after it didn't fire... Because two of them weren't on all the way, she fired right up. I didn't get a chance to drive her around because I had to get other stuff done but I'll report back and see if I fixed my cruising problem.
IMG_20180826_165213682_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180826_165220552_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180826_173529733_HDR.jpg

I replaced the fuel filter. The old one was filled with rust it was insane. I knew there was rust in the tank when I replaced the seal on the base of the filler neck. I looked inside then looked away. It was rusty but i didn't want to deal with it. Looks like I'll have to replace the tank unfortunately. I've done the chemical thing to remove rust before and it's such a pain in the *** I'd rather not deal with that again.

But in other news I started my job in the new shop today. Took the entire front suspension off a 79 Vette and my boss was happy which makes me happy. I showed up, unpacked my tools and got right to work. I can only work there part time because I have obligations to the military. But it's nice because everyone gets off work before 1600 and he is going to let me work later which I love because I can get more hours. I don't ***** at work but truth be told it sucked working on a car that hasn't been on the road in 20 years. Although I did enjoy it.

Well that's all for now, looks like a new gas tank is in my future.

8154.jpeg

Back